Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 01-22-2021, 16:37   #1
bblhead672
Area Commander

Scotch recommendations

If you're a scotch drinker, what's your recommendation for good scotch?
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 16:44   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
If you're a scotch drinker, what's your recommendation for good scotch?
THE GLENLIVET Single Malt 18 years of age. Been around since 1824. There are only maybe a thousand Scotch Whisky's to choose from. I would suggest a visit to the Whisky Exchange in Edinburgh in order to find one you truly like

Last edited by cbtengr; 01-22-2021 at 16:47.
cbtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 16:52   #3
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
THE GLENLIVET Single Malt 18 years of age. Been around since 1824. There are only maybe a thousand Scotch Whisky's to choose from. I would suggest a visit to the Whisky Exchange in Edinburgh in order to find one you truly like
Thanks. For tonight I was just going to go to Total Wine!
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 16:57   #4
tonyz
Area Commander

I find the Total Wine folks can be helpful. They sometimes have an off label 18 year old single malt scotch whisky for like $80. I think the name was Shieldaig - you sometimes have to ask for the 18yo. They hide it out back. Happy hunting !

ETA here it is...even cheaper than I remembered : SHIELDAIG SPEYSIDE SINGLE MALT 18YR
750ML

(147)
$54.99

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 20:56   #5
Penn
Area Commander

Lagavulin In their words: Deep rich pettiness, masculine....
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 20:58   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Turned on to Aberlour A'bunadh, by Penn.

The only scotch I drink.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:39   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I much prefer bourbon but will answer. I think recommendations depend on your price range and what region you like.

Good summary here from https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-s...need-to-know/:

Quote:
Scottish whisky today is complex in how it is categorized, in that you have five distinct types heralding from five official regions of Scotland as recognized by the trade group known as the Scotch Whisky Association. The types include single malt (made at a single distillery with water and malted barley without the addition of other grain types), single grain (made at a single distillery with water, malted barley and perhaps other grain types), blended (mixing one or more single malts with one or more single grains), blended malt (mixing multiple single malts) and blended grain (mixing multiple single grains).

As much as the five category types have a strong influence on the final product you enjoy out of the bottle, so also does the region of Scotland the whisky comes from play a huge part in its flavor profile. There isn’t always a specific flavor which emerges from these areas, but certain trends have nonetheless appeared from neighboring distilleries. The regions include Islay (smoky and sometimes a bit salty), Speyside (lighter and sometimes fruity), Highland (generally full and dryer), Campbeltown (briny and generally dry) and Lowland (light and malty).
I keep some scotch in my bar for guests, currently or very recently including Johnnie Walker Blue (an expensive blended whisky), 1982 Caol Ila (also expensive, an Islay), a 35 y/o called The Chosen Few (crazy expensive), and some more conventional single malts like Oban, Dahwhinnie, and Old Pulteney.

Stick with bourbon and you'll be happier.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 13:57   #8
Swoop
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Stick with bourbon and you'll be happier.
Completely agree with RL.... I have also been trying out a few different rye whiskey and Irish whiskeys as well. Developing my “buy again” list.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 16:14   #9
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Regionally I prefer a nice Islay... Peaty and smokey.

If you're thinking of trying that I'd go easy with a lower cost Laphroaig because you may not care for it.

Are you a Guinness person or a pils person?

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 17:52   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Turned on to Aberlour A'bunadh, by Penn.

The only scotch I drink.

TR
My top whisky houses.
  • Aberlour
  • Balvenie
  • Glenmorangie
  • Glenfiddich
  • Highland Park
  • Macallan

Quote:
Lagavulin 16: Legends take time

The definitive Islay malt—intensely flavoured, smoky and rich. The windswept Isle of Islay instils a strength of character into everything it produces and its here, nestled in a small bay that our beloved whisky has been made for over 200 years.
and I don't like it, tastes like a salt lick that spent the winter in the milk barn, disgusting & vile to the pallet, gruff on the tongue, not in my whisky cabinet..

Good whisky can be somewhat judged by age and price.

The longer it ages the more alcohol evaporates from the barrels. Think time & labor. You can make shine in a week at 140 proof with ZERO flavor.

Age that shine in a new oak barrel for 5 yrs, move it to a USED Port wine for another 8 yrs and maybe finish it in a sherry cask for a while,, that's where the labor & carrying cost piles up.

Like any modern business, they have some true classics and they also tend some one-off, special cask bottlings. SO, if you have a good local store you get "specials"

I have had the pleasure of three separate special bottles, each was numbered xxx of yyy, with the cask number. Truly exceptional. I try to stay away from specials as my pocketbook cries when I pick up a bottle.

Just be careful,, the higher-priced bottles are rarely that much better than the moderate-priced bottles.

With exceptions, very good whisky can be had in the 50-100 USD price range.

Here is a good starter list:
https://www.liquor.com/best-single-m...iskies-5070384

Best under 100 USD list
https://robbreport.com/food-drink/sp...guide-2947118/

Might want to find a copy of Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch, A connoisseur's guide to the Single Malt whiskies of Scotland Hardcover – January 1, 1991, by Michael Jackson (Author) It's older but will get you thru the muck of who, where, and when..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 18:17   #11
Box
Quiet Professional

My favorite straight bottle is Glenfiddich 14 Year Bourbon Barrel Reserve.

If I am pouring scotch over a couple of ounces of club soda then Chivas-12 is a good sip. Of course, if it is going over a couple of ounces of club soda its hard to beat plain old Dewars or Johnny Walker
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 18:34   #12
275RLTW
Asset

Macallan 12 or Glenfiddich 14 is a good start. A few different cask types depending on your liking and both under $100.

From there, rarer stuff like Bruladdich Dark Art, Balvenine 17 double wood, and Macallan 18 are your $3-400 range.

Or just go all out and get some 25+ year stuff if you’re feeling froggy.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 15:01   #13
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
I have also been trying out a few different rye whiskey and Irish whiskeys as well. Developing my “buy again” list.
I have always had Jameson or Bushmills to make Irish coffee, but just recently discovered that there are bunch of high-end Irish whiskeys. Have not tried any but it's on the list.

There is a Pappy van Winkle rye. It's not worth the price, but its very good.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 16:01   #14
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I have always had Jameson or Bushmills to make Irish coffee, but just recently discovered that there are bunch of high-end Irish whiskeys. Have not tried any but it's on the list.

There is a Pappy van Winkle rye. It's not worth the price, but its very good.
Redbreast 15 Year Old Single Pot is a nice smooth Irish Whiskey worth a try - about a hundo a bottle.

Tullamore Dew Caribbean Rum Cask is a smooth - value priced - Irish Whiskey.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 17:23   #15
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

I’m a fan of the Rum Cask finish. I’m a fan of glenfiddich for the quality vie price.

I too have started drinking more American whiskeys...Virginia distilleries have some good stuff! I’m a huge fan of Cotoctin Creek

(At most of the ABCs JJ or you can drive out to the tasting room in Purcellville)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote