Old 12-01-2015, 18:52   #16
Mike
Quiet Professional

Apparantly the 1st change was short sighted and somewhat vindictive.

"Cult of personality" bullshit that perpetuates itself in SF.
But that's who we are.

Anyways, as I have stated in other places, the black flash has had some hard and honorable use that is not to be ignored.

This is a Chinese firedrill and circular firing squad in one fell swoop.

A fine mess.

I'm gonna attend the ceremony.
Old 12-02-2015, 16:38   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

5th Special Forces Group unit flash was originally all black, 1961. but a white border was added almost immediately for visibility against the beret.

The Vietnam flash was adopted by the US Army Special Forces Vietnam (Provisional) 1963.

I'd like to see the Vietnam flag right where it belongs, in Vietnam and not on our headgear. Just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2015, 20:00   #18
Mike
Quiet Professional

I know about the original.

Supposedly, though the stripes look like the VN flag, they represent the 1st and 7th groups who first were there. I heard that quite a while ago.

3rd group was a composite as well.

I wore a 6th flash for a bit. It was cool.

Anyways-the bottom line is we have the birth of a really needless pissing contest.
Old 12-02-2015, 20:27   #19
PRB
Quiet Professional

Mike,
That is the RVN Flag...just like 10th had the German colors on it's flash for the deployed Bn.
That 1st Gp-7th Gp 'rumor' began when folks in Command wanted to remove the RVN colors from the 5th Gp. flash...all of a sudden it became something else for arguments sake to retain it.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:56   #20
glebo
Quiet Professional

Well, this is what the 5th is officially putting out. As well as the explanation of colors/stripes...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Release Number 15-001
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT
5th Special Forces Group Public Affairs
EMAIL: 5SFG_Flashchange@ahqb.soc.mil
Special Forces Association Chapter 38
EMAIL: secretary@sfa38.org

5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) to conduct Beret Flash Changeover Ceremony

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. – The 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) will conduct a Beret Flash Changeover Ceremony on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at Fort Campbell, Ky.

Returning to the Vietnam beret flash, worn by the 5th SFG(A) between 1964 and 1985, acknowledges the Group's extensive history in the Vietnam War, the first large scale combat employment of U.S. Army Special Forces.

“I am proud to announce that the 5th Special Forces Group will honor our history by officially changing the unit’s beret flash back to the one utilized by 5th Group during the Vietnam War.” said Col. Kevin Leahy, commander of the 5th SFG(A). “The Group’s 20 Congressional Medal of Honor and three Australian Victoria Cross recipients are a testament to the courage and honor of those trail blazers.

Returning the yellow and red stripes to the 5th Group flash honors the Group's history and all of the Special Forces Vietnam veterans who served under 5th Group, including over eight hundred 5th Group Soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice.” Additionally, said Col. Leahy, "This change simply returns stripes to our current flash, it takes nothing away. This change ties the history of the group in Vietnam to our more recent history in the Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq and the continuing battle against ISIL."

According to official Army records, in October, 1964, the 5th SFG(A) Commander, Col. John H. Spears, petitioned the Department of the Army to officially approve a modified 5th SFG(A) flash with diagonal yellow and red stripes. These stripes were added to the black and white 5th SFG(A) flash to represent 1st and 7th Special Forces Groups, which sent teams to Vietnam in the early days of the conflict. Additionally, the yellow and red stripes were the same colors as the Republic of Vietnam flag and served to honor Group's commitment to its Vietnamese and Montagnard partners. The request was approved in December 1964.

An official time for the ceremony will be provided in a subsequent correspondence. If you have any questions regarding the ceremony please feel free to contact the 5th Special Forces Group’s Public Affairs Office via email 5SFG_Flashchange@ahqb.soc.mil or the Special Forces Association Chapter 38 via email at secretary@sfa38.org.
-30-

The original 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) flash (left) consists of a black background with a 1/8” white border. The Vietnam-era flash adds a 3/4” yellow stripe of which contains three smaller red stripes spaced accordingly from the center of the thicker yellow stripe; the yellow being representative of the 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) and the red for the 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne). (U.S. Army graphic images courtesy of 5th SFG(A) Public Affairs)
Old 12-03-2015, 07:33   #21
Richard
Quiet Professional

Yeah - the yellow diagonal with three red stripes had nothing to do with the RVN colors or the USSF-Vietnam (Prov) flash 1962-1964 (atchd pic) whose mission the HQs 5th SFGA assumed in the late 1964 - early 1965 changeover...just like the 46th Co flash didn't include the colors of Thailand, the SFDAE/1-10th SFGA flash didn't include the colors of Germany, and the SFDetK/39th SFDet doesn't include the colors of the ROK.

Amazing job by the 5th SFGA PAO.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USSFV Flash 2.jpg (13.6 KB, 8 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25   #22
Pete
Quiet Professional

Hmmm

Hmm, 10 years old flash, 30 years new flash and we're returning to the old flash for history's sake?

Disclaimer - wore the old one for 10 years and the new one for 5.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:50   #23
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

"This change ties the history of the group in Vietnam to our more recent history in the Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq and the continuing battle against ISIL." "

Spoken like a true politician.....

I just can't make that leap.

I also wore both flashes.

(I don't care anymore, make it pink for all I care. Just stop using the 1st Group and 7th Group as excuses, my IQ is not low enough to buy that.)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:32   #24
VVVV

The current oval already does that, as does the PUC and other unit awards worn by everyone in Grp.
Old 02-29-2016, 18:49   #25
hak32001
Asset

I need to buy a new beret for the ceremony...

This will be my first time purchasing a beret since the Q course. Does anyone know where around Fort Campbell to buy a pre shaved beret?
hak32001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 16:51   #26
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hak32001 View Post
This will be my first time purchasing a beret since the Q course. Does anyone know where around Fort Campbell to buy a pre shaved beret?
Gay.....

I never did that to my berets, ever!
Old 03-01-2016, 17:10   #27
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Gay.....

I never did that to my berets, ever!
If you wear it long enough it'll shave itself.....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:57   #28
hak32001
Asset

I wear mine maybe once every 2 weeks, so I'm not sure if it'll shave itself haha. I just need one for the changeover ceremony and I don't want to spend an entire day shaving and shaping the thing
hak32001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:20   #29
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hak32001 View Post
I wear mine maybe once every 2 weeks, so I'm not sure if it'll shave itself haha. I just need one for the changeover ceremony and I don't want to spend an entire day shaving and shaping the thing
Sounds like first world problems,,,,

I'm another one who doesn't understand the "need" to change, but in the end it doesn't matter. 5th Group is damn near as incredible as 3rd Group, and it doesn't matter what color of thread they wear on their brows.

We should really concern ourselves with saving 7th Groups reputation before the Air Force chokes them out and raises their rent,,,,, May need more than a new flash to meet that end-state though.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:52   #30
Premsore
Asset

Not sure why a need to shave

I know things have changed since the late 60's when we used to sew our girlfriend's panties into the lining of our berets (only after getting to Group), but why is there a need to "shave" the beret? That just sounds wierd to me for some reason.
Premsore is offline   Reply With Quote