Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 06-23-2021, 06:37   #1
angel
Asset

Running shoes for SFAA : Road Shoes or Trail Shoes

I was wondering if I should take road running shoes or trail running shoes to selection.. im trying to get every inch I can on preparation.. if so any you recommend.. as of now I got some Nike Running shoes.. But looking for any suggestions, tips, and knowledge you guys might have..I've heard the runs are on gravel or some kind of pact sand.. wondering what you would wear for that kind of run. Thanks again for your time
angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 14:32   #2
RedHawk12
Quiet Professional

I couldn’t tell you what type of running shoes I wore because I don’t remember. Wear whatever you wore during your train up, that’s what I did. I promise you, your running shoes will not be remotely close to the deciding factor on finishing selection or getting selected.
Old 06-24-2021, 22:35   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Follow the packing list you will be provided.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:13   #4
Chucko
Guerrilla

So when did they switch from boots to battle tested mamby pamby tennis shoes?
Old 06-25-2021, 15:28   #5
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

CHANGING:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
So when did they switch from boots to battle tested mamby pamby tennis shoes?
The mamby pamby changes are occurring all the time ...Just Look at the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs....He is WOKE now.... The POTUS is ....well you see him in the news clips, "whispering Joe" and the O group of "leaders".... are falling into line behind the 5 sided puzzle palace... WTF....
Old 06-28-2021, 20:30   #6
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

I know Camp Mackall area has a lot more paved surface these days, but Ft Bragg's basic Piedmont topography/geology hasn't changed in millennia. Miles of sandy, muddy, or hard packed clay tank trails, range roads, etc. Plus asphalt.

Find a comfortable/durable set of running footwear with a sole that offers a bit of traction... as opposed to slick bottomed runners optimized for only pavement. If they're too slick-bottomed to zig & zag safely on a wet grass sports field, they don't have enough traction.

They can be trail runners or road shoes, but they need to have some aggressive tread pattern for traction. Plus good cushioning/support. Shoes that can transition from dry sand to hard pavement to wet mud to pine needle coated forest floor to hard packed gravel. From flat roads & trails to rolling terrain. In summer heat, winter snow, or drenching icy rain.

Not a time to experiment with ultra-light footwear, foot gloves, minimalist racing shoes, etc. Standard civilian style NIKE runners (or other brands) will work fine.

If you have wide feet or pronate a lot, look at NEW BALANCE. If you really like your current shoes, buy another pair; put away for Camp Mackall. Break 'em in just a few weeks before you go. Leave the old set behind (or bring along as spares if packing list allows). I would expect a brief shoe description to be included in the mandatory packing list you receive before attendance.

Quote:
RedHawk12: I promise you, your running shoes will not be remotely close to the deciding factor on finishing selection or getting selected.
This.

Last edited by Astronomy; 06-28-2021 at 20:39.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote