Quiet Professional

M17 Sig

Thoughts on M17 Sig for CCW
steeve20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:51   #2
Swoop
Quiet Professional

Concealment

To me it seems a bit large for a concealed option (jmoo). I have been researching the SA Hellcat for a while now based on its size and reported reliability. There is a report where they have shot 20k rounds from the same pistol with no issues and only the recommended maintenance. It also has a cut out for a micro red dot sight (eyes are not as good as they used to be). So I have finally made the purchase and I am now waiting for my micro red dot (swamp fox sentinel) to arrive. Hopefully I will be at the range getting everything zeroed in by the middle of next week.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:21   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
To me it seems a bit large for a concealed option.
Agreed. Although any weapon can be CONCEALED with enough effort, larger weapon concealment brings other problems, like access.

My number 1 conceal criteria is a loaded weapon under 20 oz.

I have several, S&W J frames, SIG 938, and NAA 22mag

There are indivuals at the high end of security, such as the Secret Service, that don't worry about conceal, they are after lowering the print exposure.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:22   #4
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

CC for EDC:

Access & Reliability I prefer a Heckler & Koch P2000 sk in .40S&W...This pistol works for me. No printing with a Mitch Rosen leather IWB.
Old 10-10-2020, 22:06   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Just talking concealability here, but I'm not a big guy (5'6" x 150#). I've carried an HK USPc .45 (37.7 oz loaded 10+1 and 7" long by 6" tall with 10rd mag) for 9 years in a CrossBreed holster. I also carry my cell phone in a button pocket in my shirt which also provides weapon concealment. In the summer, it's a light khaki shirt and in winter it's flannel. It can't be seen because neither shirt is buttoned. If you live in a more tropical area, Hawaiian shirts are great.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:10   #6
steeve20
Quiet Professional

Well it arrived and isn't much smaller than my 1911. So I am getting an M18 now. Since I like military weapons I'll just save the M17 for home defense along with the 1911's
Old 10-15-2020, 08:28   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve20 View Post
Well it arrived and isn't much smaller than my 1911. So I am getting an M18 now. Since I like military weapons I'll just save the M17 for home defense along with the 1911's
Congratulations; I think you'll really grow to like the 320. I think time will show that the Army made the right choice when they adopted the Sigs and I've spent my money in support of that opinion. The wife has a 320 Carry with the laser grip and I've got an X5 with the Romeo1Pro that I'm trying to learn to shoot red dot with. FWIW - I wouldn't recommend limiting yourself to the M17/M18 versions as the pistol's modularity is one of its primary attractions. I do recommend an aftermarket trigger (Apex or Ghost) and the "X" carry grip. If your eyes are starting to show their age, the 320 RX series has a lot to recommend it. MOO, YMMV.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:42   #8
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

The Sig Sauer Pistols:

Good Weapons, The Romeo Reflex Red Dot Sight has a steep learning curve, however , it is worth the time training with it to become proficient...
Old 10-15-2020, 16:16   #9
steeve20
Quiet Professional

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.
Old 10-16-2020, 20:11   #10
tst43
Guerrilla

While it sounds as if you have settled on Sig, I will offer a very recent experience of mine (FWIW) regarding an EDC pistol. I have primarily been carrying an H&K VP9 with an undermount light and a holosun 507c vII red-dot sight. A little heavy with extra mag, but I have grown accustomed to it by now. I recently received an offer I couldn't refuse regarding the purchase of a Glock 43x. While I have never been a fan of compact pistols (large hands), I must confess the 43x is quickly growing on me. It doesn't have the feel of a compact from a grip standpoint, but is very light. It came with a 10 round magazine, but Shield is offering a 15 round metal magazine (but good luck finding one). I took it to the range today and was very impressed with its accuracy right out of the box (even with the stock Glock sights), but I could not get over how light and easy to conceal it was. I am going to install Talon grips and a set of Tru-Glo sights, but otherwise plan to run it like I bought it. Check one out if you get the chance.

Disclaimer: I have received no financial incentives (dammit!) for the opinions expressed herein.
tst43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 00:45   #11
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Thoughts on M17 Sig for CCW
slight hijack. Not CCW but range qualification.

I haven't done MTT for a few years now.
When M17 first came out, I was convinced the modular grip size and short pull/reset will send more soldiers to qualify and reach higher scores as I observed most (even SOF types) struggled with M9 grip and long double action pull.

Those of you who are doing ranges, have you noticed much improvement i.e. among small handed males and females, and the limp wrist types??

(in case anyone gets triggered, I got limp wrists, small hands myself and it took me $$$ of tax payers money, hours, efforts and technique modification to rule with the M9 at All Army Small Arms, and at the National Match earning the P100 and team trophy)

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 10-18-2020 at 00:49.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 21:31   #12
tst43
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post

slight hijack. Not CCW but range qualification.

I haven't done MTT for a few years now.
When M17 first came out, I was convinced the modular grip size and short pull/reset will send more soldiers to qualify and reach higher scores as I observed most (even SOF types) struggled with M9 grip and long double action pull.

Those of you who are doing ranges, have you noticed much improvement i.e. among small handed males and females, and the limp wrist types??

(in case anyone gets triggered, I got limp wrists, small hands myself and it took me $$$ of tax payers money, hours, efforts and technique modification to rule with the M9 at All Army Small Arms, and at the National Match earning the P100 and team trophy)
Impressive! At least I now know from whom to obtain shooting tips!
tst43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:54   #13
G2squared
Auxiliary

Quote:
FWIW,
If you choose to make changes to your SIG to keep one “pistol” but have options, as mentioned the p320 series of pistols are modulate and you can get different grip modules and slides (be sure to get one that is for a trigger module with a safety). When considering that, even if you do get an additional M18, know that SIG supports military. For FFL transfers you’ll be stuck with whatever dealers charge and stock unless you go through a class at the academy. BUT, for non-FFL purchases, ie. grip modules, complete slides and caliber conversions, you can call them directly and get a significant discount. They have been fantastic to work with. The compact 320s are, IMO, a decent option. I’m just waiting for a holster to arrive.

G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:12   #14
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

M17 is the full size service handgun role. Better served which the frame to the compact (M18) or subcompact frame. Haven't seen or heard of any issues with them here in Astan. But they are not run hard here. Just carried everyday in a OWB/thigh holster.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 14:22   #15
steeve20
Quiet Professional

Since I only have one usable hand, I bought both. I haven't found holster I like so I am doing what I've always done. Shove it in my back let the belt hold it in! I do have another holster coming.