Old 10-10-2023, 18:57   #1
18e.wannabe
Asset

Question Thoughts on SFAS length change?

Curious to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding the 4 week SFAS they are trying for this next class.

Looks like the class now has a 7 day "non-assessed" portion where either SFAS or SOPC will teach all candidates before the standard gate week begins.

With younger generation's land nav skills going through the floor this seems like a good way to still get quality candidates without lowering standards. Albeit at the cost of another week with the tick on your back for candidates.

It is weird to me that it is a non-assessed portion though. Maybe it is because they feel that guys were too scared to ask questions and embarrass themselves during instruction at SFAS?

What do you all think?
Old 10-10-2023, 21:10   #2
bubba
Quiet Professional

“Assessment is continuous”…….

Whether it’s in Selection, in the Q-course, on a Team, at a school, or at a friend’s house….. you are ALWAYS being “Assessed”……
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 14:06   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
“Assessment is continuous”…….

Whether it’s in Selection, in the Q-course, on a Team, at a school, or at a friend’s house….. you are ALWAYS being “Assessed”……
I assessed a guy out of the ODA and eventually out of SF from a deployed environment.... agree.

Like the swim test...that is a learned skill....I approved when we went from 'wash out' to come back when you can swim and we'll give it a go here.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 17:29   #4
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

SFAS:Learning Skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I assessed a guy out of the ODA and eventually out of SF from a deployed environment.... agree.

Like the swim test...that is a learned skill....I approved when we went from 'wash out' to come back when you can swim and we'll give it a go here.
In SOG there was a reason for the 1 Zeros and the one -ones....EXPERIENCE of OJT, when you do that commando stuff day in and day out - You get proficient at it.