Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 12-05-2013, 11:54   #1
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Researchers Find Tinnitus Cause and Treatment

Article seems to be a bit misleading in that they have found a way to prevent Tinnutus (using retigabine), but not treat the condition once acquired.
SnT

Researchers Find Tinnitus Cause and Treatment
Pennsylvania scientists have discovered the cause of the chronic disorder known as tinnitus, and have also found a way to treat it. Their goal is a preventive strategy for individuals whose work situations could cause them to be exposed to very loud noise.

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine researchers found that an epilepsy drug known as retigabine prevents tinnitus in animal models, according to ScienceDaily. They published their findings in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Strictly speaking, tinnitus isn't a condition, but a symptom of some type of disorder, like hearing loss related to age, a circulatory system ailment, or an injury to the ear, the Mayo Clinic reports. Tinnitus sufferers describe the buzzing, ringing, roaring, hissing, clicking, and other sounds it creates in their ears as annoying to varying degrees. For some, it's debilitating. Since there's no cure for tinnitus itself, doctors attempt to identify and treat the underlying cause.

According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communications Disorders, about 25 million Americans have suffered from tinnitus. Among those who are at least 65, the disorder affects about 14 percent of women and more than 12 percent of men.

Knowing that tinnitus is incurable and that hearing aids don't help some patients, the Pittsburgh team sought to first find the underlying cause, then a way to treat it. They knew from prior work with mice that a connection exists between tinnitus and overactive dorsal cochlear nucleus (DCN) cells in the brain through which potassium ions travel. They found that hyperactivity of DCN cells is the result of a reduced level of activity in structures known as KCNQ channels.

The researchers conducted experiments that exposed mice to regulated amounts of noise, then identified those that had developed tinnitus. They discovered that those treated with retigabine immediately after being exposed to noise didn't develop tinnitus.

The study uncovered a link between biophysical properties of potassium channels and perceiving phantom sounds. Targeting the KCNQ channels with drugs like retigabine could block the development of tinnitus in human subjects. The next goal of the Pittsburgh team is developing a drug specific to the two KCNQ channels now identified as sensitive to retigabine.

http://news.yahoo.com/researchers-ti...171200838.html

National Academy of Science abstract
http://www.pnas.org/content/110/24/9...2-f06cf463aeec

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:26   #2
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

That's fantastic.

But what if you already have tinnitus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf n Turf View Post
They discovered that those treated with retigabine immediately after being exposed to noise didn't develop tinnitus.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:41   #3
PSM
Area Commander

Heck, I've lived with it so long I think I'd find the silence annoying.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:31   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Heck, I've lived with it so long I think I'd find the silence annoying.

Pat
Ditto......
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 13:19   #5
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Ditto......
2X.............

Maybe even worse, I might not be able to use the excuse, "Sorry Honey, I did not here you."
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 13:56   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
2X.............

3X,, Started in dive school..

Get it recorded in your med records,, it's 10% when you apply for combat/work related disability.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 14:31   #7
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Double ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Ditto......
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 22:19   #8
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I enjoy mine. When I can't get to sleep right away, I tune in on my tinnitus and go right to sleep. Kinda like white noise....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote