Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 07-21-2004, 15:24   #1
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Clinton story/Or why you don't invite a Vietnam Veteran to the "Clinton" White House

This story starts with Nancy’s secretary receiving a phone call from the White House, the individual on the other end asked to speak directly with Dr Andreasen. Nancy’s secretary LuAnn informed the caller that Nancy wasn’t in her office she was at home. LuAnn was asked for Nancy’s home phone number, LuAnn refused (she was more fearful of Nancy than the WH), after repeated calls, and with the WH stating that “it was urgent that they speak with Nancy”, LuAnn gave them our phone number.

Our phone rang with Nancy rushing out the door, running late. Nancy answered the phone, and was immediately informed it was the WH calling on urgent business. Nancy’s response “I’m running late, I do not have time to talk right now, you will have to call back”. She then hung up on the White House.

They called back and informed Nancy that she had just been awarded the “NATIONAL MEDAL OF SCIENCE” she was told that the ceremony would be held in the WH over a 2 day period. Nancy immediately asked me if I could be good in President Clinton’s presence, I said “**** NO”. She then asked me if I would do it for her since she had just been awarded the NMS. I responded with “For you, of course I can”.

We were given a behind the scenes tour of the WH, normal tours shut down for 4 days a year while the Christmas decorations are put up. We were allowed to go just about anywhere we wanted, and were provided with a Secret Service Agent (presidential detail) as our guide, I was excited as I presumed that I would be seeing people in uniform. Every time we turned a corner I was disappointed, there were NO UNIFORMS, only suits. I did not see one individual in military uniform in the WH, that REALLY F-ING PISSSED me off. I was grumping pretty loudly about it when our SS agent took me aside and asked me if I was trying to get him in trouble, my response “No of course not, but don’t these f-ing people realize how we got a WH in the first place”, that people in ragtag uniforms fought and died in order for us to have this place”. He informed me that the rule is, “If you are in the military, and assigned to the WH, you are ALLOWED to wear your uniform 1 day per week, but they would prefer that you didn’t”. I found out later that it wasn’t Bill, but in fact Hillary who didn’t want to see military uniforms. That really pissed me off, and still f-ing does.

The next morning we arrived at the WH with 11 other NMS awardees, the NMS was established in 1957, and has only been awarded to 374 scientists in all that time. Among our groupwere 2 Nobel Laureates, one of whom is the oldest living Nobel Laureate, he was 89.

We walked into the Oval Office single file, Nancy preceding me, she said to President Clinton”I’m Dr Andreasen, I’m from the University of Iowa and I won for my research in Biological Sciences. I was supposed to state my name, shake his hand, and move on. I was f-ing wound up, pissed off, and totally upset that people serving this country in uniform weren’t welcome in this WH.

I wore a miniature DFC in my lapel it is visible in the picture, and I started off by telling Pres Clinton that Nancy had been the youngest professor in the history of the University of Iowa, that her Ph.D. was in English Lit, and that she taught English for 3 years before attending Medical School. The room became very quiet, I was not following protocol.

Clinton reached out to shake my hand, I ignored his hand and pointed to the DFC, I asked him if he knew what it was, he of course said no. I spent the next 5 minutes telling him why I joined the military, and why it was important for me to be able to serve my MY country in uniform. That I would have willingly given my life any number of times to protect the freedoms that he and everyone else in this country had grown up with.

He extended his hand even further, gripping my hand and squeezing it very hard, he held on for the longest time, I was staring him directly in the eye and his eyes teared up slightly, it was obvious that he was trying very hard to speak without his voice breaking, when he was finally able to speak he said “THANK YOU, SIR”, there were maybe 20 people in that, and you could have a pin fall to the carpet.

Later when Nancy was getting her picture taken with him, I went charging back up front and said “You just got back from Vietnam”. He said “Yes I did” I said “What did you do over there, now that the bullets have stopped”? He said “I turned over 800000 documents and continued with a whole laundry list of nothing, (in Flight School we called that mealy mouthing) I said “You should have taken someone like me along” he said “What do you mean?” I said “Someone who would have said B.S., every once in a while when you are being told things that are patently untrue.” He then pointed to the side of his desk, where I then noticed a brick from the Hanoi Hilton with Pete Petersen’s name on it, he said “I took Pete Petersen, Pete was a prisoner in the Hanoi Hilton for seven years, and he’s now my Ambassador to Hanoi” I said “You should have taken John McCain” he said “You know, John runs hot and cold on this thing” we went at it for a few more minutes and I finally said “You know, if you really have any information whatsoever, you need to get it out to the American people. We have over 2000 families in this country who are still in turmoil because of the MIA/POW situation”. He said he would, thanked me again and we left the Oval Office:

There were 11 other winners besides Nancy, they were all older, were all of an age where they would not have considered refusing to serve their country (as did this President). Several of these gentlemen came up to me, they were hugging me, shaking my hand, patting me on the back, telling me how proud they were of what I had said to the President. A couple of minutes later the door to the Oval Office opened up, and the “Presidents National Science Advisor”, walked up to me and said “The President asked me to convey to you his personal thanks, for the forthright and honest dialogue you two shared” I rolled my eyes at that, cause I thought he hadn’t liked it worth a shit. Dr Neal Lane got a little annoyed at this, and said “Well, the President of The United States, didn’t have to send me out here”. He then went on to say “You would be surprised at how many people just say Yes Sir, and No Sir, to that man, you did not. You told him some things he needed to hear, you were a breath of fresh air in there, and for that he thanks you”:
Old 07-21-2004, 16:14   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Terry:

Hoo f**king ahhh, Captain!

I love that story.

It would appear that he was trying to give you the stroke, like he did many others. I hear that he was very good at it, and your story confirms that.

You have heard the story about General McCaffrey at the White House, haven't you?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 16:21   #3
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Terry:

Hoo f**king ahhh, Captain!

I love that story.

It would appear that he was trying to give you the stroke, like he did many others. I hear that he was very good at it, and your story confirms that.

You have heard the story about General McCaffrey at the White House, haven't you?

TR
TR:

I believe that Gen McCaffrey showed up at the WH early on in the Clinton administration in uniform, and was the individual who was informed by DeeDee Meyers that they didn't want to see uniformed military in their house.

I would love to hear your story re the good General, and the Clinton WH.

Terry
Old 07-21-2004, 16:56   #4
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Excelent story!

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 17:04   #5
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by mffjm8509
Excelent story!

mp
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Terry
Old 07-21-2004, 17:18   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by CPTAUSRET
TR:

I believe that Gen McCaffrey showed up at the WH early on in the Clinton administration in uniform, and was the individual who was informed by DeeDee Meyers that they didn't want to see uniformed military in their house.

I would love to hear your story re the good General, and the Clinton WH.

Terry
Exactly.

He was a three star then, allegedly on the way out.

He refused to talk to the media about it.

Then he became a surprise four star, the SOUTHCOM Commander, and the Klinton's Drug Czar.

Wonder how that happened?

Quid Pro Quo?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 17:26   #7
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Exactly.

He was a three star then, allegedly on the way out.

He refused to talk to the media about it.

Then he became a surprise four star, the SOUTHCOM Commander, and the Klinton's Drug Czar.

Wonder how that happened?

Quid Pro Quo?

TR
Quid Pro Quo.

Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks.

Terry
Old 07-21-2004, 17:36   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

That story makes me smile everytime I read it, thanks for posting it Terry.

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 17:45   #9
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Great story, Terry. Thanks for sharing.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 17:54   #10
Guy
Quiet Professional

GREAT! Did I ever tell you FOGs...how proud I am of your service to this fine country of ours?

Take care....SIR!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 17:54   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Thanks Cap. For everything.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 18:04   #12
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
That story makes me smile everytime I read it, thanks for posting it Terry.

TS
TS:

Thanks, I would have posted it sooner but was waiting for the right time.

Terry
Old 07-21-2004, 18:05   #13
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

R L:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Terry
Old 07-21-2004, 18:06   #14
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy
GREAT! Did I ever tell you FOGs...how proud I am of your service to this fine country of ours?

Take care....SIR!
Thanks, Guy:

What you do makes me proud.

Terry
Old 07-21-2004, 18:06   #15
Kyobanim

Thanks fpr everything, Terry. Anytime is the right time for that one.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote