Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 01-22-2021, 23:51   #46
PSM
Area Commander

Nuclear. Modular nuclear, but the pols will reject it because it would be limited to small areas and less likely to be controlled by Big Government. They really hate that I live totally off grid. They are talking about putting meters on our wells here in AZ. Just to monitor the depletion of the aquafer, don't you know. Right! I'm sure that they are working on how to monitor how much sunlight we "harvest" and tax us on that. too.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 23:58   #47
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

I faced that prospect when I lived in Washington on a private well and septic owned by me. It didn’t come before I sold that property but I doubt they (state government) have given up trying.

It only a matter of time.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 20:34   #48
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

There is certainly room for money to be made from early growth of new technologies.
That is not the same thing as displacing well-established technologies.

It may well happen, as coal was displaced by natural gas.
But that took a very long time, and natural gas was a very good substitute for the niche it fills (burned to heat water for steam-driven turbines).

In the case of transportation, it may be a bit more difficult.
There is a reason some sort of fuel oil (diesel, jet fuel, bunker fuel) is preferred in industrial, commercial, and military transportation applications.

There is also the case of mineral/petroleum economics.
When demand dramatically increases for new mineral resources needed, and demand for petroleum decreases, prices adjust and what was once profitable ceases to be even economically viable.

But, there’s a big gap where even a niche market stands to make a great deal of money.

For reference, pages 44-45 (pdf starts on page 36).
https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data...y/pdf/sec2.pdf
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 15:25   #49
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Gravedigging an old post.
Looked like the best place.

A recent bit of political nonsense regarding electric vehicles got me thinking.
How efficient are they when distribution infrastructure is considered?

To be fair, the distribution of hydrocarbons incurs losses, but they’re difficult to quantify.
Doubtful those losses reach the 65% level found with electricity.

There could be an argument for electric vehicles if electricity was generated primarily from sources other than hydrocarbons.
Meanwhile, it only serves as an argument to support CNG powered vehicles.

Electric vehicles would likely burn even more hydrocarbons (indirectly) than hydrocarbon powered vehicles.
Not very “green”…

See “electrical system energy losses”, and the contribution of natural gas/coal to electricity generation.

https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data...019_energy.pdf
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
Old 12-04-2021, 22:46   #50
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I am beginning to see some advantages in a hybrid gas-electric vehicle.

However, by the time you harvest and make batteries out of the lithium, and use hydrocarbons to generate electricity (solar is only available at best 12 hours per day, and wind power reminds me of the early explorers stranded in the doldrums for days at the time), and distribute the power and build an electric vehicle power distribution network (probably could have been done with what was spent on the infrastructure bill) where do you store the excess solar and wind powered energy? I do not see a network of EV infrastructure outside of a few major cities for the foreseeable future. The efficiencies are just not there, yet, and possibly never.

Nothing like handing our enemies our weaknesses to be exploited at critical times of history.

Look for a coordinated attack by the Russians on Ukraine and the Chinese on Taiwan, or both in the very near future. Their cyber ability would render us powerless at the very moment we need power the most. The petroleum reserves in this country will come in as a handy prize for the next occupants and rulers of the US. Our very strengths will become our weaknesses under our current feckless leadership.

Or everything could be just fine.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 23:50   #51
PSM
Area Commander

A little petrochemical fact: Windmills need lubricants. Automobiles need lubricants, electric or not. A barrel of crude cracks to 47% gasoline, 23% diesel and heating fuel, and 10% jet fuel. Thats 80% before you get to the lubricants. Is their plan just to pump 47%, 70%, or 80% of a barrel of oil into the ocean?

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:11   #52
pyreaux
Guerrilla

The industry would be more likely to chemically synthesize lubricant and/or chemical precursors from those components.

For what its worth on the EVs, the most practical answer to supply the electricity is nuke. But that still leaves alotta folks screwed during natural disasters. Electricity doesn't travel well in buckets and tanks.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:14   #53
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
A little petrochemical fact: Windmills need lubricants. Automobiles need lubricants, electric or not. A barrel of crude cracks to 47% gasoline, 23% diesel and heating fuel, and 10% jet fuel. Thats 80% before you get to the lubricants. Is their plan just to pump 47%, 70%, or 80% of a barrel of oil into the ocean?
Just add it to the garbage patch it will float for awhile just like a turd does.
Turd in this case is John Kerry, he has been getting the lube ready for America for a long time now.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:35   #54
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
Just add it to the garbage patch it will float for awhile just like a turd does.
Turd in this case is John Kerry, he has been getting the lube ready for America for a long time now.
Boyan Slat founded The Ocean Cleanup and is doing something about the garbage patch.
We don’t hear much about it because it doesn’t further the profits of big business nor increase the power of governments.

Ingenuity which undermines established power is the real disruptive technology.
https://youtu.be/tLcnJEMnlTs
Old 05-05-2022, 12:41   #55
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

I saw this last week and thought it appropriate for this site.

https://news.mit.edu/2022/portable-d...ing-water-0428

Couple other articles of interest lately. All of these, including the above are related. And that's the real disruptive technology.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidrv...n-hours-video/

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/s...-b2062365.html

https://www.upr.org/utah-news/2022-0...0ever%20tested.

Lots of advances in battery storage/charging. Think off the grid, not EV. Which is good since China owns all the lithium mines in the world.

And of course any automation that will replace restaurant help. I would invest in Miso if I had the chance. They are the guys doing Flippy, Chippy and now coffee at Panera.

LHC