Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 3rd Special Forces Group

Old 12-21-2008, 17:12   #61
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySixShooter View Post
I went through the course with Kyle Walton... I'd be hard pressed to think of a better dude to be on that cliff that day.

Good work guys.
Glad to hear these men and others are getting recognition. We had SOG men in recon and HF's who were lucky to get a PH when medivaced. Heck, I knew recon men at Omega and CCS plus CCN who received zip for 17 crosss border OPS. It was a shame as they went to promotion boards and were not promoted. That is history. Being able to look in the mirror is what counts. Great to hear things have changed. 1LT Harrigan called in and directed air support until his last dying gasp for air from a chest wound. That was a SS as OP 35 was there. CPT Cahill shot through the jaw and eye and blind through almost eight hours of hell and SGT Jamieson, who left a crater to save a wounded yard and was cut down and killed by fire received zip. I do not know, but; I had no authoprity to write an award recommendation as a HF company CO in 68. I finally had that authority as ALO and LO of the northern launch site. I wrote my first EER in 75. I was a CPT with 6 years in grade then.

I had SF NCO's, who damn sure earned SS's. I feel bad for them. We just did our jobs.

The reward for a good job was always more responsibility and/or another mission. Good for these men and no sour grapes here.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 20:33   #62
Phantasos
SF Candidate

Outstanding.

What an absolute show of heroism on everyones part. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Literally just a few minutes ago(2109ish), 3 members of ODA 3336 were on Fox telling their story in Class A's. Master Sgt. Scott Ford, Sgt. 1st Class Dan Flance(?), and Staff Sgt. John Walding all spoke about the operation, and noted that
'..It's what were trained for, and we are just ready to go back and complete another mission...'

It was amazing to see them speak so modestly, very professional, not to mention in class A's they made everyone else look bad. Did anyone else see this?

I can't find the video on the net yet, but I'm sure it will pop up soon.

Once again congratulations on your outstanding achievements.

Respectfully,
Phantasos

"Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think."

-Ayn Rand

Last edited by Phantasos; 07-29-2009 at 21:06. Reason: Link Removed
Phantasos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:08   #63
6.8SPC_DUMP
BANNED USER

Reading the "Fierce battle above Shok Valley earns Silver Stars" article posted by Administrator Dan was insightful and extremely humbling. The knowledge, skill, bravery, composure, conditioning, humility, dedication and selflessness of these heroes and members of this site inspire me to never be complacent in bettering myself.

I liked this statement.

"The Taliban calls them (the Commandos) the wolves. When they hear the wolves are coming, they know they are in trouble. The commandos are pretty feared. Everywhere we go, they identify us with the commandos, and the fact that this group of insurgents was prepared to sit and fight us to the death was indicative of an enemy force you don't see every day," said Morales.
6.8SPC_DUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 16:10   #64
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I just got off the phone with a Special Forces Capt. that goes by the name of Capt. Kyle Walton

It was a pleasure chatting with you Captain! We're very proud of you and your team mates! (And Special Forces!)

De Oppresso Liber!

Team Sergeant
Old 05-07-2009, 20:59   #65
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Had the opportunity today to spend some time with 3 members of ODA 3336:
MSG Scott Ford
SFC Luis Morales
SSG John Walding

They were at the United States Senate for a lunch and got to tell their story to 28 Senators.
They did a great job representing the Regiment....John even had one of the Senators in tears (I won't tell, so don't ask).

It was impressive and moving to hear them talk about what they did and what they want to do (get back to Group and rejoin their guys and the fight - no surprise for us, but really seemed to hit home with a number of the Members of Congress - just how dedicated our guys are).

After lunch, had the opportunity to get them into the Leadership Gallery to watch the Senate in session.
Then they got to head over the White House for a meeting with the President.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:28   #66
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Command video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Qs9...layer_embedded
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:02   #67
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

I saw this posted in an Air Force facility recently. While hardly earth-shattering, and certainly not to take anything away from SSgt Rhyner, I found the difference in perspective amusing.

Quote:
Letter to Airmen

Michael B. Donley
Secretary of the Air Force

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Teamwork

Earlier this year General Schwartz and I had the privilege of presenting the Air Force Cross, the Air Force's highest distinction of valor in combat, to Staff Sergeant Zachary Rhyner for his efforts on April 6, 2008 in Afghanistan. Family, friends and comrades gathered to honor the extraordinary heroism of Sergeant Rhyner and his Joint teammates -- and to be reminded of the remarkable tenacity of the American warrior. Like all of America's Airmen, Sergeant Rhyner's story is one of teamwork -- teamwork that began well before combat started.

As Sergeant Rhyner and his Army teammates fought their long and grueling battle, they were not alone! Contributions came from many corners and Services. Acquisition professionals and industry partners ensured that the team deployed with reliable and effective equipment. Veterans of recent expeditionary operations ensured that the team's tactics, techniques and procedures were first-rate by passing on hard-won knowledge. Finally, combat power from the skies above helped secure the team's position by multiplying their firepower.

This remarkable experience reminds us that teamwork starts with YOU. By joining the Air Force, you have joined a cause greater than yourself -- one where success comes from collective efforts. Daily, you build on a rich legacy of Americans who pooled their talent to change the world -- from launching American military aviation with the Wright Flyer ... to catapulting the Project Mercury astronauts into space ... to being a critical component of the Joint cyber team. And, while domains of air, space and cyberspace continually evolve, our heritage demonstrates that teamwork is the linchpin of success.

We have added Sergeant Rhyner to a long list of distinguished Airmen -- rightfully so, as the actions of his Joint team reflect the finest traditions of American warriors in battle. In the process, we are reminded that all Air Force stories -- including your own -- begin with Airmen who commit to working together to serve our Nation. Thank you for all that you do for our continued success as a Total Force team.

Last edited by Slantwire; 08-25-2009 at 10:15.
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22   #68
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
I saw this posted in an Air Force facility recently. While hardly earth-shattering, and certainly not to take anything away from SSgt Rhyner, I found the difference in perspective amusing.
Michael B. Donley knows exactly what (and what not) he is saying.......

Michael B. Donley is a former Special Forces soldier, Green Beret wearing, 5th Group guy. He understands the hearts and minds principle....

(Also, anyone in the Air Force that fires a personal weapon at an enemy should receive the Air Force Cross, especially since there are no AF ground combatants......)
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40   #69
Richard
Quiet Professional

(Also, anyone in the Air Force that fires a personal weapon at an enemy should receive the Air Force Cross...)

Correction - it's a BSM if they have to remain on the battlefield after 1700 - BSM w V if they actually figure out how to load and fire a weapon (unless it accidently fires from being dropped while running for the chow line or trying to get out of the rain) - an SS if they fire a weapon and don't hit any friendlies - and an AFC if they fire a weapon and actually hit an enemy combatant.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57   #70
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

Well, at least THEY are still "good for a ride" ... maybe!?!?
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 20:05   #71
Lightnin
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor View Post
That one gave me the chills, wow. That video really conveyed the intensity.
Lightnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 17:12   #72
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Congratulation to SSG Ronald Shurer, MoH
American Hero

Quote:

Former Special Forces medic to receive Medal of Honor for valor in Afghanistan
By: Michelle Tan, 31 minutes ago

An Army Special Forces soldier will receive the Medal of Honor for fighting through an enemy ambush and saving his teammates' lives 10 years ago in Afghanistan, the White House announced Friday.

Former Staff Sgt. Ronald Shurer II, who had already received a Silver Star for his actions, will be honored with the nation’s highest award for valor by President Donald Trump during an Oct. 1 ceremony at the White House.

Shurer served as a Special Forces medic with 3rd Special Forces Group.

On April 6, 2008, Shurer and his team were assigned to take out high-value targets of the Hezeb Islami al Gulbadin in Shok Valley, according to the Army.

As the soldiers moved through the valley, they were attacked by enemy machine gun, sniper and rocket-propelled grenade fire, according to the White House.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...n-afghanistan/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ronald Shurer.jpg (67.8 KB, 49 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 17:15   #73
Joker
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Fantastic!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 21:18   #74
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Well deserved.

Congratulations, brother!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 22:46   #75
PRB
Quiet Professional

Excellent!
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote