Old 09-15-2020, 10:28   #1
PretzelFactory
Asset

1LT NTR / Need Advice

I am a 1LT, National Guard, 20th GRP candidate. Recently I received an NTR at SFAS. (2nd attempt)

First attempt, I went in Oct, passed gate week no problem, but was dropped for psych. 2014 I got a DUI (before military / commissioning). This is the part on the psych where you note any past criminal experiences. I also did not think I needed a waiver.

Second attempt: BLUF: Failed to meet 12mile ruck time. I decided to go during the Aug class, and I totally should have listened to my SFRE cadre that heat can really effect you during this class. I never felt so sluggish / total disconnect with my body and simply could not get myself to shuffle or move at a moving speed.

------------------------

Moving forward: The NG Liaison informed me that individuals have dropped their commission and went back as enlisted (E-5) for another shot. Has anyone on this forum dropped their commission and went in as E-5?

The NG Liaison mentioned that if I were to come back as an E-5, I should definitely bring a waiver to have the psych portion cleaned up. However what worries me, even if I brought a waiver, there is a possibility you could still be dropped...

-----------------------

Additional thoughts: I whole hardheartedly want to be part of GRP, and if it takes to drop my commission to go back, I want this to happen. I just want to hear some view points from members on this forum. Another note, I do have a full time job out of the National Guard.

Thanks
PretzelFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:39   #2
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFactory View Post
I am a 1LT, National Guard, 20th GRP candidate. Recently I received an NTR at SFAS. (2nd attempt)

First attempt, I went in Oct, passed gate week no problem, but was dropped for psych. 2014 I got a DUI (before military / commissioning). This is the part on the psych where you note any past criminal experiences. I also did not think I needed a waiver.

Second attempt: BLUF: Failed to meet 12mile ruck time. I decided to go during the Aug class, and I totally should have listened to my SFRE cadre that heat can really effect you during this class. I never felt so sluggish / total disconnect with my body and simply could not get myself to shuffle or move at a moving speed.

------------------------

Moving forward: The NG Liaison informed me that individuals have dropped their commission and went back as enlisted (E-5) for another shot. Has anyone on this forum dropped their commission and went in as E-5?

The NG Liaison mentioned that if I were to come back as an E-5, I should definitely bring a waiver to have the psych portion cleaned up. However what worries me, even if I brought a waiver, there is a possibility you could still be dropped...

-----------------------

Additional thoughts: I whole hardheartedly want to be part of GRP, and if it takes to drop my commission to go back, I want this to happen. I just want to hear some view points from members on this forum. Another note, I do have a full time job out of the National Guard.

Thanks
I don't have a lot to add from an advise perspective. But, realize that giving someone an NTR in SFAS is not done lightly. I was an instructor there for a short stint and I can tell you that they put a lot of thought into whom and why they NTR a candidate, and it is not usually just one thing. For example, during my SFAS class we had a candidate who failed to come in within standard during the last long ruckmarch. But, it was discovered that he was pulling off the march on a broken foot. He got selected. The cadre uses the whole man concept in SFAS. If you were a no-go twice, you might want to consider that this may not be the career choice for you.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:52   #3
CSB
Quiet Professional

You have attempted twice. More than many who did not try at all. As noted, this should have struck you that this particular branch of a very large Army is not to be your branch. If you are in some sense asking if a third try as an enlisted member is an option, I will tell you that it is not in your best interest nor the best interest of the Army. Be the best officer you can be within the branch you hold now.
Where can you contribute more to our nation? As an officer, or as an NCO with MAYBE chance of Special Forces, while denying our country a man who sounds like a solid 1LT with prospects of Captain if not much higher. It’s not about you, it’s about the bigger picture.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 16:13   #4
ic2d
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFactory View Post
Has anyone on this forum dropped their commission and went in as E-5?
I did. Too much TIG to go to SFAS as an O, so I tried the next best thing.

I have no idea if enlisting would help overturn your NTR, but generally speaking I have to agree with CSB's comments. Your prior training and experience have taught you to be an officer, not an NCO.

That's not to say you can't adapt and become a stellar NCO, but the mindset shift has been more challenging for me than I expected. Then again, I also came from the Air Force...and active duty. So, not exactly apples to apples.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

(For what it's worth, we might have gone to SFAS together. Were you in the class starting at the beginning of Oct, or the class starting near the end of the month? I was in the latter.)
ic2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 18:14   #5
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Echoing the other posters: Two times at bat is enough... and a clue.

Stick with commissioned life and excel at that. 20 some years down the road, you'll be thankful you did. That horizon is difficult to visualize right now, but it's real. Rewarding professionally, educationally, and financially... in ways you can't yet appreciate.

Do Not Give Up Your Commission to become an NCO.

Be the finest Officer possible... and forge another path to satisfy your personal goals.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:52   #6
PRB
Quiet Professional

We appreciate your try...sincerely.

An NTR is not based upon one or two failed events but an overall assessment that takes into consideration other factors.
It is not given by one individual but a selected board.

The chances of returning as an enlisted probably do not exist and you would be making a serious change in your military career.

I was the CSM of the Battalion that SFAS fell under and then the Training Group CSM.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:04   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic2d View Post
I did. Too much TIG to go to SFAS as an O, so I tried the next best thing.
So, what was the result?
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 20:03   #8
ic2d
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
So, what was the result?
I got a shot at SFAS.

I was not selected.

In my case (high TIG with an MOS that did not transfer to the Army), the officer reinstatement rules were, and still are, rather unfavorable. Thus, my decision to enlist wasn't only about SFAS.

While I don't necessarily regret the decision, I have personally experienced many of the considerations pointed out by other posters in this thread. They're not insignificant.
ic2d is offline   Reply With Quote