Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 08-16-2022, 17:08   #1
Penn
Area Commander

Yankees

Raised in South Philly, you would think I'd hate the Yankees (bow Head), but they were always my #1 team. Why, My first LL team Jersey number in 1961 was 9, same as Roger Maris.
I'M a Yankee Fan!!!

BTW I think it's Yanks vs Mets World Series

Last edited by Penn; 08-16-2022 at 17:11.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 20:14   #2
Box
Quiet Professional

When I played Little League Baseball I also played for the Yankees. The Orioles and the Yankees were always two of my favorite ball teams until I quit following sportsball quite some years ago...

I grew up in South Baltimore so I also know how it is to be a fan of the "other team"
I wore number two - which was Paul Blair's number - who had just left the Orioles in a trade for two shitty New York Yankees.

Coincidentally - Paul Blair's number when he played for the Orioles was number 9
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 16:00   #3
bblhead672
Area Commander

Lifelong Yankees fan.

In late 70's I attended an Old Timers Game at Yankee Stadium and took a pregame picture of Mickey Mantle walking along the base line, bat over his shoulder and big smile on his face.
About 10 years later I had opportunity to have him autograph the picture.

Edited to add: Don’t watch sportsball anymore regardless of the size and shape of the ball.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by bblhead672; 08-18-2022 at 10:32.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 18:32   #4
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
When I played Little League Baseball I also played for the Yankees. The Orioles and the Yankees were always two of my favorite ball teams until I quit following sportsball quite some years ago...

I grew up in South Baltimore so I also know how it is to be a fan of the "other team"
I wore number two - which was Paul Blair's number - who had just left the Orioles in a trade for two shitty New York Yankees.

Coincidentally - Paul Blair's number when he played for the Orioles was number 9
Come home Box, the O’s are knocking on the door!

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:42   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
Come home Box, the O’s are knocking on the door!
I believe it was Thomas Wolfe that said, "You can't go home again."
...coincidentally, Thomas Wolfe DIED in Baltimore.

The Colts left.
The Baltimore Clippers folded.
They tore down Memorial Stadium.
You need a parking pass to park in my old neighborhood.
John's Diner - down by 'the point' - where I used to get french fries and gravy - gone.
Middle School, Elementary School, and even the Kindergarten I attended - all gone.
They bulldozed the skateboard bowl at Riverside Park.
Tore out the monkey bars at Federal Hill Park.
Pride of Baltimore - lost at sea
Sportsball - dead to me.

You can't go home again, but you can read about it on the internet.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 08-18-2022 at 06:45.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:09   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Box- When I saw the title of the post, I knew it was about baseball. Anywhere South of the Mason-Dixon line it is "DamnYankees"...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 15:57   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Raised in South Philly, you would think I'd hate the Yankees (bow Head), but they were always my #1 team. Why, My first LL team Jersey number in 1961 was 9, same as Roger Maris.
I'M a Yankee Fan!!!

BTW I think it's Yanks vs Mets World Series
Keep talking like that and you'll end up at the bottom of the Delaware chained to a statue of Frank Rizzo.

(I stole that from another member here BTW)
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:49   #8
Penn
Area Commander

Frank Rizzo, WOW!!!!

The only Mayor to fire bomb his our city to suggest to the "Move" movement......

......"Yo vinny, we gots guns too?"
Old 08-21-2022, 01:56   #9
Penn
Area Commander

And back to baseball, the yankees are getting their ass's kicked!!! I'm hoping its the new trades felling their way around, team/fit stuff, everybody's spanking them!
Old 08-23-2022, 10:40   #10
casey
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Frank Rizzo, WOW!!!!

The only Mayor to fire bomb his our city to suggest to the "Move" movement......

......"Yo vinny, we gots guns too?"

Ahhhhem.... I think you meant "utilizing a tactical deployment of fire" by Wilson Goode who was mayor during that operation....

Come home Penn - I'll meet you at the Passyunk border with our complementary Glock 17, 400 rounds, & 72 hour auto resupply slip.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 12:49   #11
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
Ahhhhem.... I think you meant "utilizing a tactical deployment of fire" by Wilson Goode who was mayor during that operation....

Come home Penn - I'll meet you at the Passyunk border with our complementary Glock 17, 400 rounds, & 72 hour auto resupply slip.
Speak of the Devil!

https://www.professionalsoldiers.com...8&postcount=16
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:05   #12
casey
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Ha! I would not propose a visit here now sage counselor, as they killin' mo's like its legal now.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 13:41   #13
Penn
Area Commander

Casey, about that
Quote:
As much as I dislike the City of Brotherly Love, that bounty seems worth the trip. If you get to Lambertville, dinners on me.

And back to BB...the Yankees are going to have their hands full if the Astro's finish in the ALCS, which would be a great match up, adding to that, watching the Yankees last night, 4/2 over the Mets, and the Mets have great pitching, they struggled. Not good this time of year to see.

Last edited by Roguish Lawyer; 08-24-2022 at 14:42.
Old 08-24-2022, 19:59   #14
Badger52
Area Commander

There is some pretty fun stuff being played in Williamsport, PA for the last several days. And Texas (SW division) is for REAL!

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:11   #15
Penn
Area Commander

In the ALCS I don't think the Yankees, due to injury and the caliber of play by the Astro's, who have awesome pitching and great hitters, and likewise for the Rays, will be in the running for the World series. If the Astros or the Rays make it, the AL will win the WS. ymmv