Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 02-09-2009, 11:55   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Reparations...again.

Wanna know what Congress has been shilly-shallying around with lately instead of taking care of the people's business? What a boatload of fertilizer.

Gutes lesen,

Richard's $.02

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 40

To acknowledge the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery in the United States and the 13 American colonies between 1619 and 1865 and to establish a commission to examine the institution of slavery, subsequently de jure and de facto racial and economic discrimination against African-Americans, and the impact of these forces on living African-Americans, to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 6, 2009

Mr. CONYERS (for himself and Mr. SCOTT of Virginia) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To acknowledge the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery in the United States and the 13 American colonies between 1619 and 1865 and to establish a commission to examine the institution of slavery, subsequently de jure and de facto racial and economic discrimination against African-Americans, and the impact of these forces on living African-Americans, to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.

(a) Findings- The Congress finds that--

(1) approximately 4,000,000 Africans and their descendants were enslaved in the United States and colonies that became the United States from 1619 to 1865;

(2) the institution of slavery was constitutionally and statutorily sanctioned by the Government of the United States from 1789 through 1865;

(3) the slavery that flourished in the United States constituted an immoral and inhumane deprivation of Africans' life, liberty, African citizenship rights, and cultural heritage, and denied them the fruits of their own labor; and

(4) sufficient inquiry has not been made into the effects of the institution of slavery on living African-Americans and society in the United States.

(b) Purpose- The purpose of this Act is to establish a commission to--

(1) examine the institution of slavery which existed from 1619 through 1865 within the United States and the colonies that became the United States, including the extent to which the Federal and State Governments constitutionally and statutorily supported the institution of slavery;

(2) examine de jure and de facto discrimination against freed slaves and their descendants from the end of the Civil War to the present, including economic, political, and social discrimination;

(3) examine the lingering negative effects of the institution of slavery and the discrimination described in paragraph (2) on living African-Americans and on society in the United States;

(4) recommend appropriate ways to educate the American public of the Commission's findings;

(5) recommend appropriate remedies in consideration of the Commission's findings on the matters described in paragraphs (1) and (2); and

(6) submit to the Congress the results of such examination, together with such recommendations.

<SNIP>

SEC. 8. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.

To carry out the provisions of this Act, there are authorized to be appropriated $8,000,000.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.40.IH:
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:07   #2
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

What's next, are they going to establish a commission to acknowledge the fundamental injustice of having dingleberries What a waste of our tax money.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke

Last edited by BryanK; 02-09-2009 at 18:33.
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 13:19   #3
afchic
Area Commander

So if I can prove my ancestors had yet to cross the pond, and therefore did not take part in the slave trade, does that mean I am somehow not going to have to pay "my" part of this through my taxes?
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 13:28   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

What about the Indians that had everything taken from them.... OH they were here first.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 13:31   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

See, I thought that 618,000 Americans paid reparations with their blood already, and that there were no slaves, importers, or masters alive here anymore.

How about we take it off the ticket for the Great Society entitlement programs?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 13:43   #6
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

"See, I thought that 618,000 Americans paid reparations with their blood already, and that there were no slaves, importers, or masters alive here anymore."

So well said, TR.
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 16:05   #7
Saoirse
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
What about the Indians that had everything taken from them.... OH they were here first.....
I agree, SF BHT! And for that matter, what of my Irish ancestors that were "slaves" and discriminated against as well? Oh and the Chinese, and the Scots and the Italians.....OMG! They really do need to give this crap a well deserved rest, right in the toilet with it!!!

Am fear nach gleidh na h-airm san t-sith, cha bhi iad aige 'n am a' chogaidh
"He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war" Old Gaelic

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them. Thomas Paine
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:48   #8
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Racism in this country will never die as long as there are people in power who are willing to perpetuate it's memory.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 23:15   #9
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Racism in this country will never die as long as there are people in power who are willing to perpetuate it's memory.

Eagle
Way to many folks generate income off of racism, this also includes some left-ass-liberal-leaning-colleges indoctrinating students to believe..."someone owes you even though you're a lazy SOB!"

Oh well...stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 23:34   #10
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

If these racially motivated players really wanted to get to the source of the injustices of slavery, perhaps they should confront the descendants of the very people who began the African slave trade and made their living by raiding the villages of the soon-to-be African slaves, namely the Arabs.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44   #11
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
If these racially motivated players really wanted to get to the source of the injustices of slavery, perhaps they should confront the descendants of the very people who began the African slave trade and made their living by raiding the villages of the soon-to-be African slaves, namely the Arabs.
Do not forget the Portuguese They were the biggest during this time. The Arabs grabbed them, brought them to the coast and sod them to the funny speaking people from Portugal.....

Oh you also have to remember at some time in History every race, creed and color of man has been enslaved. They were called many names but they were slaves. (Slave/Indentured Servant/Serf/etc) All were slaves and they could be found in any culture throughout history. Why does this small group in historical perspective need to have reparations now over 130 yrs after the last one was enslaved. Lets focus on the Now not the Past (Sorry for stealing King O's words) Today there is Human Trafficking in the US and other parts of the world. Lets help the ones that are being enslaved (Trafficked to day) instead of trying to get payback or something that happened 3+ generations ago.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:23   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
See, I thought that 618,000 Americans paid reparations with their blood already,
TR
A good half dozen we relatives of mine that paid with their lives.

The morons Mr. CONYERS and Mr. SCOTT of Virginia are going to push me too far with this bill.

Team Sergeant
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37   #13
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Today there is Human Trafficking in the US and other parts of the world.
Funny how nowadays its "human trafficking" and not slavery, isn't it? A rose by any other name...
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39   #14
AngelsSix
Area Commander

This has been said by others here: my family WAS NOT EVEN IN AMERICA when this was happening and had no part in it.

So why should my ancestors pay "reparations" to people who are not even alive? Most blacks today couldn't tell you where their family actually hailed from, let alone if they were slaves. Not every black in this country was a product of slavery. So how do we prove WHO gets the reparations? And why would anyone be entitled to it these days anyhow?

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 20:59   #15
Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsSix View Post
This has been said by others here: my family WAS NOT EVEN IN AMERICA when this was happening and had no part in it.

So why should my ancestors pay "reparations" to people who are not even alive? Most blacks today couldn't tell you where their family actually hailed from, let alone if they were slaves. Not every black in this country was a product of slavery. So how do we prove WHO gets the reparations? And why would anyone be entitled to it these days anyhow?
Just create a company funded by the government too research whom are decendants of slaves...make it part of the stimulus package.

Quote:
I got trouble for saying just this in Sociology class. You would of thought; I pissed in some folks corn-flakes...

I would run around base yelling..."Take their oil, these are the SOBs responsible for slavery." However, I'd probably get fired and can no longer contribute to the stimulus funding...

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote