Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 04-19-2023, 22:17   #1
Penn
Area Commander

Major find, but need to verify

https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auc...n-0001-4927997

RR Auction: Military and the Cold War
By RR AuctionMay 18, 2023

We need to assemble resources here to acquire this artifact for the SF Museum, we need an escrow account to send money to, or an individual that has the where with all to bid to secure this... RL?

William P. Yarborough's Green Beret Knife S/N 0001
Serial No. 0001 — the first of the official Yarborough 'Green Beret' combat knives
Previous Lot

Next Lot
Ends On 5/18
This Lot Has No Bids Yet
Min Bid:
$2,000
(0 bids)
Currently you do not have permission to bid. If you feel you have received this message in error please contact our office.
Estimate: $20000+
The 30 Minute Rule begins May 18 at 7:00 PM EDT. An Initial Bid Must Be Placed By May 18 at 6:00 PM EDT To Participate After 6:00 PM EDT

Server Time: 4/20/2023 12:05:39 AM EDT
Consign Similar Item
Extended Payment
Share:
Description
Serial No. 0001 — the first of the official Yarborough 'Green Beret' combat knives
Senior United States Army officer (1912-2005) who designed the U.S. Army's parachutist badge, paratrooper or 'jump' boots, and the airborne jump uniform. He is known as the ‘Father of the Modern Green Berets.’ From the personal collection of Lieutenant General William P. Yarborough—the first official Yarborough U.S. Special Forces Combat Knife, serial no. 0001, the original serial-numbered combat knife issued to the Green Berets, presented by Yarborough, the knife’s namesake, to his son, William “Lee” Yarborough, in 2003. Beginning in August 2002, every soldier who graduated from the Special Forces Qualification Course, part of the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, was issued the Yarborough Knife with its own serial number and signed a special record book along with the most elite members of the United States Army—this particular knife, identified with serial number as “0001,” represents the very first of the Yarborough Green Beret knives; unlike other examples, this ‘premiere’ knife is sans the maker (Chris Reeve Knives) and designer (Bill Harsey) stamps typically found on the ricasso flat. The knife measures 12.5″ in length with a 7″ spear point blade (elite CPM S35VN steel with a KG Gun-Kote finish) and a gripped canvas Micarta handle.

Included with the knife is a handwritten letter from Yarborough signed “Dad,” presenting the knife to his son, LTC (Ret.) William “Lee” Yarborough, U.S. Army, on November 10, 2003, in full: “Your Dad is proud to present you with a ‘Yarborough Knife’ in recognition of the fact that you are in every way a ‘Green Beret.’” Also present is a promotional color 10.75 x 16.5 poster for Yarborough’s ‘Green Beret Knife,’ signed in the lower border in green felt tip, “Hope you enjoy the ‘Yarborough’ knife, William P. Yarborough, Lt. Gen. USA (Ret).” In overall fine condition. Accompanied by a wooden presentation case with a glass top.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 05:39   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
This is an AWESOME opportunity.

The other Yarboourgh items are also spectacular.

https://www.bidsquare.com/search?search=Yarborough

Amazing the family is not putting the items in trust to LOAN to the SF museum?

Penn, Thank you

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:22   #3
Penn
Area Commander

Wow, I did not see these other items, but yes, to be in a position to acquire these a group effort is needed, is there a general fund account at SFA, that we can send money to specifically to bid on these, or should this be left to individuals to participate, or not?
Old 04-20-2023, 07:23   #4
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Standby.....

Before everyone gets all fired up and starts breaking piggy banks. I've already contacted Bill Harsey and asked him what he thinks. His initial thoughts(pre coffee) are its not made of the right kind of steel that he used to make #0001 and the color of the micarta handles looks suspect. I'd suggest taking a tactical pause and waiting to see what Mr. Harsey has to say on this after he's had his coffee and time to examine it more.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:26   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
Before everyone gets all fired up and starts breaking piggy banks. I've already contacted Bill Harsey and asked him what he thinks. His initial thoughts(pre coffee) are its not made of the right kind of steel that he used to make #0001 and the color of the micarta handles looks suspect. I'd suggest taking a tactical pause and waiting to see what Mr. Harsey has to say on this after he's had his coffee and time to examine it more.
I also noticed the scales look incorrect, but it could be camera light.
Additionally, the knife was given by Dad to his son, but it is now back in Dad's estate.

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 04-20-2023 at 16:51.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:02   #6
PRB
Quiet Professional

Wow, great items that belong in the USSF Museum....I hope they are aware and who is selling them?

I didn't know he was a Cottonbailer (7th Inf) DUI on his desk name plate.... when I got back from RVN I was assigned to 3/7th Inf. at Benning. Kinda cool.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:20   #7
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

The Cottenbailers were at Fort Benning? Was that in the third ID? During my time they were in Aschaffenburg, Germany.
Old 04-20-2023, 15:07   #8
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Follow up

Following up on my previous post. Mr. Harsey does not believe this to be the actual #1 knife he made; he has doubts. Bill also mentioned that he believes SF Poser Rudi Gresham is/was in possession of #1, which was given to him by yarborough.
Old 04-20-2023, 16:26   #9
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1987 View Post
The Cottenbailers were at Fort Benning? Was that in the third ID? During my time they were in Aschaffenburg, Germany.
In the early 70's they (3/7th) were attached to an Independent Brigade...the 197th Inf Bde. That Bde. supported the Infantry school at Benning.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 18:30   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Following up on my previous post. Mr. Harsey does not believe this to be the actual #1 knife he made; he has doubts. Bill also mentioned that he believes SF Poser Rudi Gresham is/was in possession of #1, which was given to him by yarborough.
Is Bill or ?? going to challenge the authenticity to the auction house?

Old 04-20-2023, 22:30   #11
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auc...ng-pen-4928009

I feel like the JFK signature with the famous photos probably has more historic importance, but JFK memorabilia collectors may bid it out of reach.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 22:41   #12
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

UPDATE

So, I spoke with Bill Harsey later in the day, after he had time to seriously look at the knife. Here is what he had to say. These are his words verbatim, used here with his permission.

From Bill:

"After speaking with Tim Reeve, we went over every detail point by point.
Tim thinks the handle may have been color corrected with a filter to make it look cleaner.

WE cam to the conclusion that it probably really the original #0001 knife.
Part of this is based on that exact sized engraving fount used on the original Yarboroughs.

The other details are my exact narrow top swedge and the shape on the master bevel grind at base of blade near handle.Also of note are the number of serrations I hand filed in. More than the CRK production ones that followed.

Chris Reeve Knives is going to try and purchase the knife to keep it off the open market or lose it to a collector."
Old 04-21-2023, 04:58   #13
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Chris Reeve Knives is going to try and purchase the knife to keep it off the open market or lose it to a collector."[/I]
Good

Old 04-21-2023, 12:37   #14
Penn
Area Commander

PZ3, Good news of the verification. Opening at $2K bid seems high, does CR have an upper NG on the cost? If so, would a combined effort, in the form of pledge $ commitment from others, usher this home to where it belongs? We would commit $500 towards the winning bid.

Quote:
Chris Reeve Knives is going to try and purchase the knife to keep it off the open market or lose it to a collector."
Papa Zero Three is offline Report Post
Old 04-21-2023, 12:59   #15
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

I’d be glad to help. I’m sure many on this site would.