Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 08-16-2004, 18:14   #1
rubberneck
Area Commander

A question for the Quiet Pros

It seems as if there is no end to the number of phonies out there that claim to be either a QP, a Ranger, a SEAL, a Marine Recon, etc. It has gotten so bad that when ever I hear of or read somewhere of a persons special operations my first though has become that they are probably bogus.

So my question is this, do you share your SF background freely with those outside of your family and close friends or do you keep your accomplishments to yourself? I could see that you would be justifiable proud of your achievements but I could also so how it could be annoying to have your authenticity challenged by a relative stranger.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 18:31   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

If somebody asks, I will tell them. If they choose not to believe me, that is their choice.

I have no illusions about who or what I am and need no validations from anybody.

As for posers, I really couldn't care less. They are not worth my time. I also have no problem with those that smash them.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 18:59   #3
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

It's all in the name "Quiet Professional". It took 35 years to realize my family doesn't know much about my military career.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 22:56   #4
lurch
Quiet Professional

For the past couple of years I've been contemplating committing some of the events that occured during my military service, especially those associated with my SF and SOG time, to a written form. Not for publication but as something to pass on to my children and grandchildren. As for those outside my family. If I mention my military service and they show an interest and ask about certain details I certainly am not reluctant to tell them; not just about my own accomplishments, which were minimal, but about the courageous and dedicated men I had the privilege of serving with.
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:34   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

If someone asks what I used to do I have no qualms telling I was in SF. Most that have asked know very little about SF and usually do not ask any further questions.

Like NDD I could give a rat’s ass if someone believe or doesn’t believe what I’ve told them as far as my military service.

As far as posers I really don’t care, unless they are earning a living off the hard earned reputations of men far better then themselves. I have gone as far as informing the Chief of Police of Scottsdale, AZ that a certain Scottsdale gun club owner was a poser and had him remove all sorts of lies from his website. It did not matter, after years of lying he now owns a multi-million dollar gun club which all the local law enforcement utilizes.

He’s not the first poser that has made millions off the reputations of the SEALS, Rangers and Special Forces, and I’m sure he will not be the last.

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:52   #6
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

What NDD said with the following addition. My accomplishments are not really mine alone but are the accomplishments of those with whom I was fortunate to serve and was able to contribute in ways for which I was trained. The only ones that really count in this equation are the other QPs and that recognition often goes unsaid but understood.

Jack Moroney
Old 08-17-2004, 09:04   #7
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

The Opposite of QP

I heard this last week on Discovery Wings and it is sooooo true.

"Don't ever ask a pilot if he is a fighter pilot. If he is he will have already told you and if he isn't you'll hurt his feelings".

A conversation I had about a week ago in FCharleston. My son was looking for an SF Flag.

Vendor: Were you in Special Forces?
Me: Yep.
Vendor: Were you one of those Green Berets?
Me: I wore one.
Vendor: Were you one of those "Elite" Forces. They're tougher than the Green Berets. They go behind enemy lines for six months at a time.
Me: WOW!!

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:28   #8
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by QRQ 30
Vendor: Were you one of those "Elite" Forces. They're tougher than the Green Berets. They go behind enemy lines for six months at a time.
LOL!!! That was another CLASSIC... QRQ30.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:20   #9
Guy
Quiet Professional

Because of my wonderful tan.

You would not believe the things I hear.

Some things...are better left un-said.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:20   #10
pulque
Guerrilla

Re: The Opposite of QP

Quote:
Originally posted by QRQ 30
LOL

good one.
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:58   #11
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by lurch
For the past couple of years I've been contemplating committing some of the events that occured during my military service, especially those associated with my SF and SOG time, to a written form. Not for publication but as something to pass on to my children and grandchildren. As for those outside my family. If I mention my military service and they show an interest and ask about certain details I certainly am not reluctant to tell them; not just about my own accomplishments, which were minimal, but about the courageous and dedicated men I had the privilege of serving with.
My Grandmothers second husband was a crew chief in the AVG. under Chenault. As I grew up this unfortunately didn't mean much to me. "Cool Jacket Grandpa". His response was always about how horrible conditions were on the Burma road.

Fortunately, Will and other AVG members committed memories to paper. I would not know anything about Chenault (or Merrill either) and what kind of sacrifices these men gave, had I not had written and recorded memories. This included letters home from both Grandfathers who spent the time between 41 and the end of the war in the Pacific and Asia.

I cherish this small collection of family memoribilia. I have found more backbone than I ever imagined possible by refering to these stories. I have a reminder of what hard duty really is, I have found it encouraging and helpfull, particularly when I have felt whiny.

I was with Will on more than one occasion when the topic of China came up. His response,depending on the person was"yea, I've been to China, I shit my pants and didn't have any fun." I always thought that was a great answer. Of course I knew the real story.

just my very grateful .02
mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:27   #12
lurch
Quiet Professional

mumbleypeg - that gives me one more good reason to write it down. I'll start today! Thanks
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:34   #13
Bill Joyner
Quiet Professional R.I.P.

It is funny to hear new SF guys wives at a team party. Once my wife and several "old timers" wives were talking with a "new guys" wife when she asked "what do your husbands really do?" The reply was "Hell we don't know and we probably don't want to" A friend of mine from 5th SFG(A) told me his wife had no idea what he did for a living until her uncle told her that if he wore a green beret he was a real "killer". She thought all he did was humanitarian work. She didn't even know he carried a gun. My point is that most real SF guys don't do a whole lot of talking (other than lying to each other in the team room )
Bill Joyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:40   #14
magician
Quiet Professional

actually, from a certain point of view, it is all "humanitarian work," brothers.

magician is offline   Reply With Quote