Old 07-19-2007, 22:12   #31
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH
One I used to start some small fires as improvised road flairs was, after building some crude tepees down the road, I got some steal wool, gas, and jumper cables, from the cars involved or that had stopped to help…. just put a hunk in the jaws of the positive and negative, hook the other end up to battery, small amount of gas on wool, rub together, poof fire, light first small tepee fire then light the rest of the sequence of small fires down the side of the road so you don’t get you’re A!@ ran over.

JPH
Actually, you can blow yourself up in a nice fireball doing just as you stated.

I would just leave the emergency flashers on the vehicles flashing.

You aren't a Charlie are you?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 16:20   #32
RTK
Guerrilla

The hand sanitizer works awesome. Kinda like a Sterno stove.

I just bought a case of Bic lighters....
Old 07-22-2007, 16:36   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK
The hand sanitizer works awesome. Kinda like a Sterno stove.

I just bought a case of Bic lighters....
Same mechanism. Alcohol.

The lighters are great, except every time I travel, TSA gets one or two of the half dozen I carry.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-22-2007, 16:49   #34
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The lighters are great, except every time I travel, TSA gets one or two of the half dozen I carry.

TR
LOL

Well it looks like TSA will be lifting the "lighter" ban on AC, starting 4Aug.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2..._lighters.html
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:39   #35
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Don't forget you batteries.

If you have batteries you can short with small pieces of wire and some fine kindling. Oh yeah, Also two files of glycerin type fast fire mixes. Also the SAS carry little fat candles and matches. light the candle and then use it to make a fire. Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 03-24-2008 at 09:46.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:17   #36
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Lip balm with sun protection and a Bic lighter.

These two items fit easily into any pocket.

Lip balm can be used on other body parts as well.

Work the lip balm into any fabric, lint, cattail fluff, dry grass, sycamore seed...

Light and use as a fire starter. Signifigantly extends the life of the little Bic lighter.

Last edited by Go Devil; 04-01-2008 at 05:30. Reason: Clarification
Go Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:40   #37
Pete S
Guerrilla

I'm still in the process of refining my method. I like things that can be used for more then one purpose (to save space) and easily fit into a survival kit i.e. an alcohol swab and hand sanitizer used with a lighter. I don't like matches because I have had bad experiences up here in the wet weather with them, and a lighter will give you more uses.
If I can find a dry form of natural tinder I will always use that first, so i don't drain the resources from my survival kit. I have used feathered pine, and madrona/ birch bark with success.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:51   #38
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Small, strike anywhere matches waterproofed with nail polish in a 35mm film canister.

Mike
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:00   #39
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete S View Post
I'm still in the process of refining my method. I like things that can be used for more then one purpose (to save space) and easily fit into a survival kit i.e. an alcohol swab and hand sanitizer used with a lighter. I don't like matches because I have had bad experiences up here in the wet weather with them, and a lighter will give you more uses.If I can find a dry form of natural tinder I will always use that first, so i don't drain the resources from my survival kit. I have used feathered pine, and madrona/ birch bark with success.
With the invention of the Bic lighter I would never again carry matches. Somewhere on here I told of carrying a Bic lighter for decades just for the purpose of fire lighting, never had it break or malfunction.

If I went into extreme cold weather, I'd carry two-three of them (mini's).

Team Sergeant
Old 04-07-2008, 09:27   #40
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

I still carry BIC's....But.... I have had problems with them in the mountains, I mean High in the Mountains. AT 12,000 + the BIC's have a problem at times, especially when they are low. I still carry coated stick matches just in case. Nail polish is the way to go with them. If your not at high altitude BIC Is all you will need.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 13:20   #41
trailrunner
Asset

fire piston

Anyone ever use or heard of a fire piston?
”Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." --Calvin Coolidge
trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 14:11   #42
EX-Gold Falcon
Can I have a hug, please?

I have found potato or corn chips work quite nicely as a source of post tinder. They are dripping in nice burnable oil. Nowadays I always 2-3 single serving bags (water proof container) into my ruck whenever I head out camping.

A magnifing glass will even start them up...

Travis
Old 05-03-2008, 06:35   #43
JumpinJoe1010
Auxiliary

I tried this the other day after searching about this topic. Take a round from your firearm. Remove the bullet from the casing, and light the gunpowder. The gunpowder works great at getting the fire started.

"Men who live by playing with knowledge may be called scholars, but they can never be men of wisdom." Hiratsuka Raicho

Last edited by JumpinJoe1010; 05-03-2008 at 19:31. Reason: Misstated advice.
JumpinJoe1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:59   #44
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJoe1010 View Post
I tried this the other day after searching about this topic. Take a round from your firearm. Remove the bullet from the casing. Pour the gunpowder on the ground, then reinsert the empty casing with primer. Point the muzzle of your gun at the gunpowder on the ground and fire the weapon. It sets it ablaze.
The times I have tried this, the blast merely scattered the powder, and the flame propogation from a primer is not long enough to make it down the barrel and ignite the powder.

What calibers have you done this with, and what firearms?

TR

Old 05-03-2008, 09:19   #45
Pete
Quiet Professional

Survivorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJoe1010 View Post
I tried this the other day after searching about this topic. Take a round from your firearm. Remove the bullet from the casing. Pour the gunpowder on the ground, then reinsert the empty casing with primer. Point the muzzle of your gun at the gunpowder on the ground and fire the weapon. It sets it ablaze.
I think Survivorman tried this in one of his colder location episodes. Either that or Myth Busters. Anyway, whoever, went through a number of rounds.

Better to just dump the powder under your tinder and use your sparking device of choice to touch it off.

IIRC the Strike Anywhere Matches were done away with in the early 80s and the SAMs of today a a lot safer - IE they don't Strike Anywhere anymore.

Ah, the joys of having a burning chunk of sulfer under your thumbnail.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote