Old 12-10-2019, 10:19   #1
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Task Force Viking Map

Quiet Professionals,

To preface this I run a traveling display about the GWOT where our goal is to educate the public about life down range. As such, I am always trying to learn more about the GWOT to be knowledgeable when asked questions and to relay pertinent information. A few years back I picked up a map of the Dotaza region of Iraq that has some tactical markings on it.

Beyond the friendly position markings on it, it shows Iraqi (or other) forces around Deralok (درلوك). Deralok is North of the 'Green Line' and about 80km east of Duhok. Portions of both 10th and 3rd group were in Northern Iraq tying up 13 Iraqi divisions from defending Baghdad. This brings about my question.

If you are familiar with what was going on there, would you be willing to share the story? Nothing OPSEC of course, but more of a general filling in the blanks. I'd like to make sure that, that history gets to stay with the map.

With Respect,

Red
RedLegGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:41   #2
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLegGI View Post
Quiet Professionals,

To preface this I run a traveling display about the GWOT where our goal is to educate the public about life down range. As such, I am always trying to learn more about the GWOT to be knowledgeable when asked questions and to relay pertinent information. A few years back I picked up a map of the Dotaza region of Iraq that has some tactical markings on it.

Beyond the friendly position markings on it, it shows Iraqi (or other) forces around Deralok (درلوك). Deralok is North of the 'Green Line' and about 80km east of Duhok. Portions of both 10th and 3rd group were in Northern Iraq tying up 13 Iraqi divisions from defending Baghdad. This brings about my question.

If you are familiar with what was going on there, would you be willing to share the story? Nothing OPSEC of course, but more of a general filling in the blanks. I'd like to make sure that, that history gets to stay with the map.

With Respect,

Red
Looks to me this was along one of original Infiltration routes we planned out of turkey on the way to our operational staging area in Sulaymaniyah Iraq. But as we know now turkey did not play ball and we Air Infiltrated instead of coming in via ground.

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 12-19-2019 at 10:43.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:09   #3
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
Looks to me this was along one of original Infiltration routes we planned out of turkey on the way to our operational staging area in Sulaymaniyah Iraq. But as we know now turkey did not play ball and we Air Infiltrated instead of coming in via ground.
This is very much along with my thoughts on the map as well. Coincidentally I'm currently reading All Roads Lead To Baghdad: Army Special Operations Forces In Iraq (which was put out by the GPO). I just read a bit more about TF Viking and their use of Landrovers amongst other non-standard vehicles. I'm hoping that it will mention Deralok specifically, but won't know until after finishing the book.
RedLegGI is offline   Reply With Quote