Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-26-2017, 08:08   #1
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Thumbs up Aero Press.....coffee

I've had an Aero Press coffee press for a couple of years now, I wasn't completely sure at first as I do like freshly roasted coffee from a French press. The Aero Press definitely gets a thumbs up from me, it is durable, easy to use, the small paper filters that I thought might be an issue are great and seemingly last forever there are a lot of them and they are small)...the best part is it can take marginal and old coffee ( forgotten in the pack or stored at a cabin) and make a very palatable cup of coffee. It makes rocket fuel coffee (strong) that is not bitter. My understanding is the magic happens it the way it extracts from the coffee. I also understand chefs use it.

I usually use Peet's coffee.

http://www.aeropress.com

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 11-26-2017 at 08:12.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 14:01   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
I've had an Aero Press coffee press for a couple of years now, I wasn't completely sure at first as I do like freshly roasted coffee from a French press. The Aero Press definitely gets a thumbs up from me, it is durable, easy to use, the small paper filters that I thought might be an issue are great and seemingly last forever there are a lot of them and they are small)...the best part is it can take marginal and old coffee ( forgotten in the pack or stored at a cabin) and make a very palatable cup of coffee. It makes rocket fuel coffee (strong) that is not bitter. My understanding is the magic happens it the way it extracts from the coffee. I also understand chefs use it.

I usually use Peet's coffee.

http://www.aeropress.com
You making coffee or conducting surgery?

Simple coffee press. No "filters". Simple is good. (And I'm also a chef )

VonShef Stainless Steel French Press
Old 11-26-2017, 15:01   #3
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
You making coffee or conducting surgery?

Simple coffee press. No "filters". Simple is good. (And I'm also a chef )

VonShef Stainless Steel French Press
LOL...That's exactly what I want....that VonShef Stainless Steel French Press is SWEET....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 16:59   #4
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Very nice Team Sargent, I don't recall ever seeing that on their shelves... They often don't have any. The last one I got glass was pretty modern. Coffee at the cabin and even at the house now * gets a little stale before I use it, this Aero Press fixes what would other wise be poor flavor.
* Building 3 in Colo. Springs ( owned by a former 10th SFG guy ) has the Central American coffee IIRC Pete once described here on the forum...small cup of that works wonders!!!

I know your a chef, which is why I have been building a small set of better quality pots and pans as well as some cast iron pieces... Just in case someone who knows how to cook passes by.

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 11-26-2017 at 17:01.
Old 12-04-2017, 23:29   #5
G2squared
Auxiliary

NICE!! So the battle of the best French Press is on?! Is this like the which truck is better, Ford, RAM, GMC? I like it, but sadly my pathetic oldish stomach can't handle the hot brew anymore if it's hot enough to get any acids out of the grounds... Cold brew works but ain't good for the "need it now" caffeine fix. 12hrs of waiting... Yes, my wife makes fun of me as she fires down her French Press coffee and smiles. We have the VonShef for our travel trailer.
G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Walmart has a huge website to make purchases from and most of it is not in their stores.

When I want something I search the internet first, due diligence, then order it.

The VonShef Stainless Steel French Press is what I was looking for after I did some reading. Mine makes only one cup and that's all I wanted.
Old 12-07-2017, 23:20   #7
G2squared
Auxiliary

What about coffee grinders? Good coffee is the whole process?

So my wife doesn't like the poor consistency from the electric coffee grinder. Any recommendations on a good quality coffee grinder? From my research of grain grinding, ceramic burs are the way to go.
Thoughts?

G2
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16   #8
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2squared View Post
So my wife doesn't like the poor consistency from the electric coffee grinder. Any recommendations on a good quality coffee grinder? From my research of grain grinding, ceramic burs are the way to go.
Thoughts?

G2
As long as you don't have large pieces of unground beans, how can she taste if the grind is inconsistent?

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 23:45   #9
G2squared
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
As long as you don't have large pieces of unground beans, how can she taste if the grind is inconsistent?
lol. I quit asking why my wife thinks the way she does. It might be that she can see the difference in the larger chunks or maybe her palate for coffee is that much better than mine? I don't know, I just like to find quality stuff to make her happy at this point!
French press vs, drip. Drip vs perk? cold brew? Turkish (which, btw, my platoon asked that I never again have 2. it scares them), espresso, latte, breve? I just want caffeine sometimes. Other foods I'm a bit more particular, but coffee, meh.
G2
Old 12-25-2017, 07:22   #10
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

I'm a huge fan of these handheld Burr grinders. It's a bit of work, but it's also very consistent. Plus they're handy in the field..

https://www.amazon.com/JavaPresse-Ma...r+coffee&psc=1

Alternatively, you may be able to have good results for this electric one: https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Profess...offee+electric

One of the things I look for in coffee bean grinders is whether or not it has to go through a grinder to be deposited into something that holds it. Those electric grinders with the single blade and reservoir are convenient, but aren't always consistent. This ensures a pretty consistent grind. Plus the handheld one has a simple screw cap on the bottom that lets you adjust depending on if you're making french press, aero press, espresso, etc.

I've got two of em
Old 12-26-2017, 19:53   #11
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

I love my Aero Press. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

I also have a Chemex, but I prefer the Aero Press.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:29   #12
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
I love my Aero Press. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

I also have a Chemex, but I prefer the Aero Press.
I am thinking about getting a Chemex. Which brand do you use and recommend? It would be strictly for home use, so glass is fine.
Old 01-02-2018, 19:04   #13
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel NCO View Post
I am thinking about getting a Chemex. Which brand do you use and recommend? It would be strictly for home use, so glass is fine.
Chemex is the brand. I have one of the "classic" models. It's nice to look at. http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/cof...ic-series.html

To do it right, you also need a burr grinder, scale and gooseneck kettle. And of course high quality beans. I think that's where the Aero Press shines. It will make a good cup of coffee from run-of-the-mill ground beans.

If you want to try pour over for less than the Chemex, there's the Melitta or V60.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:35   #14
Golf1echo
Area Commander

One of the big advantages is the clean up, compared with a French press or other container/perminate filter apparatus you use just a fraction off the water necessary to clean the later which makes a big difference in many situations. Using a new paper filter gives you a clean fresh brew every time.

An observation, I think the pressure along with the hot water is similar to how expresso machines are extracting...just without the steam. Another advantage is coffee can be preloaded and readied for that 0 dark thirty cup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.1 KB, 21 views)

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 01-03-2018 at 08:38.
Old 01-07-2018, 14:24   #15
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
Chemex is the brand. I have one of the "classic" models. It's nice to look at. http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/cof...ic-series.html

To do it right, you also need a burr grinder, scale and gooseneck kettle. And of course high quality beans. I think that's where the Aero Press shines. It will make a good cup of coffee from run-of-the-mill ground beans.

If you want to try pour over for less than the Chemex, there's the Melitta or V60.
Thanks for the insight. I have a burr grinder (two actually), and some decent beans, but it looks like I'll need the scale and gooseneck kettle.

I'm with on the AeroPress. I've made some good single cup coffee using one with Starbucks even

@Golf1echo: Clean up is definitely easier with the AeroPress. I like that it's a small package and can make a single good cup for when I'm out and about camping or in the field.