Old 05-17-2017, 08:38   #1
AspiringWarrior
Asset

Muggle boots for SFAS

I'm aware that there is a stigma associated with "requests for magic boots," so let me put this in context: I'm an active duty Air Force officer working to get a tryout with 19 SFG. I've never been issued boots by the Army and the googles aren't proving to be very illuminating on the subject of what make/model is issued. Therefore my inquiry, in two parts:

1. Does anyone know the make and model of the "Army-issued" boots that everyone is recommending as the safe option for SFAS (the one that people are apparently converting to the "SOPC special" by removing toe/heel cups and re-soling)?

2. Failing that, I understand that any boot conforming to AR 670-1 is now fair game at SFAS. If I can't get a straight answer on issue boots, the top two on my list for SFAS (but more immediately, SFRE this July) are Tactical Research Khyber II and Garmont T8 NFS II boots. Has anyone made it through SFAS with either of these boots, and do you remember how long it took to break them in? How did they handle on sandy trails vs land naving through the woods?

Any insights would be appreciated. I've heard "it's the man, not the boots who gets selected," but I feel like trying it barefoot is setting myself up for failure.
"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." -Winston Churchill

Last edited by AspiringWarrior; 05-17-2017 at 08:49.
AspiringWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 15:29   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringWarrior View Post
I'm aware that there is a stigma associated with "requests for magic boots," so let me put this in context: I'm an active duty Air Force officer working to get a tryout with 19 SFG. I've never been issued boots by the Army and the googles aren't proving to be very illuminating on the subject of what make/model is issued. Therefore my inquiry, in two parts:

1. Does anyone know the make and model of the "Army-issued" boots that everyone is recommending as the safe option for SFAS (the one that people are apparently converting to the "SOPC special" by removing toe/heel cups and re-soling)?

2. Failing that, I understand that any boot conforming to AR 670-1 is now fair game at SFAS. If I can't get a straight answer on issue boots, the top two on my list for SFAS (but more immediately, SFRE this July) are Tactical Research Khyber II and Garmont T8 NFS II boots. Has anyone made it through SFAS with either of these boots, and do you remember how long it took to break them in? How did they handle on sandy trails vs land naving through the woods?

Any insights would be appreciated. I've heard "it's the man, not the boots who gets selected," but I feel like trying it barefoot is setting myself up for failure.
The word "SAFE" and Special Forces should never be used in the same sentence unless you are describing a "safe-house".

My advice to you, don't fear the boots, fear SFAS and the men that will put you through a living hell.

If you need boots I'll send you mine, jungle boots, spent almost 20 years wearing them (3 years in the ABN Infantry and 17 in Special Forces). Probably went through 10-15 pairs of them in those years.
Old 05-17-2017, 21:25   #3
AspiringWarrior
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
The word "SAFE" and Special Forces should never be used in the same sentence unless you are describing a "safe-house".

My advice to you, don't fear the boots, fear SFAS and the men that will put you through a living hell.
I want to make a pun about safe-housings for my feet. But I won't.
"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." -Winston Churchill
AspiringWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote