Old 05-16-2006, 23:49   #61
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Brad:

That sure sounds like Karen DZ. Great Gueat house on the way back to Flint Kaserne. We always had to ruck back and stop at that guest house everytime. If the Team Sgt wasn't with us, we would have a beer.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:53   #62
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bost1751
If the Team Sgt wasn't with us, we would have a beer.
if he was with us, we'd have two...

never wore serviceable fatigues to jump Karen...you're right, the sick bastard would always spread his liquified cow dung the day of a drop...being DZSO at Karen was another treat...spend several hours out there, taking in the aroma...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:43   #63
bost1751
Quiet Professional

After Joe Alderman left and Steve Omasta became Tm Sgt we would drink a beer or two then. With Joe it was Spatleze. The honey wagon was well known on Karen. On one jump we even had a guy land on a cow that was laying down. The old girl jump up, kicked him and shattered his leg.
Old 05-17-2006, 13:45   #64
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Probably was the same DZ bost. Seemed to jump that one more than any other. Only one or two beers?
Old 05-17-2006, 13:53   #65
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Steve Omasta became Tm Sgt we would drink a beer or two then. With Joe it was Spatleze.
Spetzi...Spatleze would be noodles...Spetzi was beer and 7-Up (or the German equivalent thereof...
Steve Omasta...haven't heard that name in awhile...probably 25 years or so...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 05-17-2006, 14:57   #66
Razor
Quiet Professional

I wonder if that's a regional thing, as around Wuerzberg/Schweinfurt, beer and 7-up was called Radler Bier, and usually served to children at fests. Spetzi was some type of combination of cola and orange Fanta sold pre-mixed.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 19:02   #67
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I wonder if that's a regional thing, as around Wuerzberg/Schweinfurt, beer and 7-up was called Radler Bier, and usually served to children at fests. Spetzi was some type of combination of cola and orange Fanta sold pre-mixed.
you're right...Radler...bost led me astray with his noodles...but spetzi was both a specific and generic term, not unlike coke...it was either cola and Fanta or cola and the house brand citrus drink...radlers were beer and limonade as i recall...if i recall...
Old 05-17-2006, 19:08   #68
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Yeah it was half Bier and half Limonade. It was also a very popular drink at rest stops and such along the Autobahn.
Old 05-17-2006, 23:27   #69
bost1751
Quiet Professional

What can I say, I left there 26 years ago. Never could spell German very good. The beer was always the first choice.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:45   #70
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The beer was always the first choice.
amen...
Old 05-18-2006, 08:24   #71
Razor
Quiet Professional

Bottom line, any of that beer is good! If only I could get posted there again (nothing like foreign travel on Uncle Sugar's dime).
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:56   #72
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Yep, retirement sucks for that reason, no free travel!
Old 08-04-2006, 00:47   #73
mike-munich
Guerrilla

PMFJI, Brad thought it might be a good idea to bump this thread up.
My relation to 10th SF is in my profile, Brad has a little more detailed info, names and photos from Tölz. Feel free to ask !

Quote:
Spetzi...Spatleze would be noodles...Spetzi was beer and 7-Up (or the German equivalent thereof...
OK, may I set the record straight ?

Spezi: a mix of orange lemonade and coke (my wifes favorite)
Spätzle: the noodle specialty from Baden-Württemberg (also copied in Bavaria)
Spätlese: "late collect" of grapes that saw the first frost. Thus the stuff is awful sweet and gives you a headache (well, at least after two or three .75 Liter bottles) I´m more the Riesling type.
7up and beer is a RADLER, 7up and Weissbier is a RUSSE (Russky, I don´t know why they called that a Russian... ).

Last but not least the bad news:

Flint Kaserne is a shopping mall now.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3...tcenterkv7.jpg

For those of you who understand German:

Quote:
In Bad Tölz ist, auf einer Fläche von ca. 25 ha, aus der ehemaligen amerikanischen Flint-Kaserne ein hochmodernes, leistungsfähiges Wirtschaftszentrum für Dienstleistung, Handel, Gewerbe, Behörden und Arztpraxen entstanden.

Das neu gestaltete Areal ist geprägt von der Karreeform des ehemaligen Kasernengebäudes (vormals Basis der "Green Berets") und der außergewöhnlichen Spiral-Architektur im Innenbereich des Gevierts.

Das Flintcenter liegt verkehrsgünstig am nördlichen Stadtrand von Bad Tölz und ist bequem mit öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln oder dem privaten PKW zu erreichen (mehrere hundert Parkplätze direkt auf dem Areal). Der Bahnhof ist zu Fuss ca. 5 Minuten entfernt.

In der Peripherie finden sich vielzählige Einkaufsmöglichkeiten, die Hacker-Pschorr-Eisarena, das Tölzer Hallenbad, der Skaterpark, sowie der Golfplatz.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:02   #74
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Ausgezeichnet Mike.

Mike, yearrrrrrrrs ago was taken under an A Team's wing over there. I'll let him explain the details.

Mike, when you have the chance. Tell us about the apartment complex across from Flint. The one, that when I was there was called the 'Kinder Fabrik" All these guys know of it.

Last edited by 12B4S; 08-04-2006 at 01:12.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:23   #75
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
Ausgezeichnet Mike.

Mike, yearrrrrrrrs ago was taken under an A Team's wing over there. I'll let him explain the details.

Mike, when you have the chance. Tell us about the apartment complex across from Flint. The one, that when I was there was called the 'Kinder Fabrik" All these guys know of it.
Dankeschön Brad !

Years ago... Yes, like 15,16,17... Damn, I miss those days.

The housing area. Don´t get me there... It´s a problem spot for the Bad Tölz Polizei now. The Kinderfabrik is now a refugee-Kinder Fabrik. After the wars in Yugoslavia and the middle east it´s full of Kosovos, Albanians, Iraqis and other nationalities known for causing problems.

I drive/ride by there all the time and it´s sad to see what happend, to both the Kaserne and the housing area...