Old 05-26-2004, 13:17   #1
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Bad Toelz

A friend sent me these pictures taken at the 50th re-union last fall. This is the Market Strasse and looks exactly as it did forty yrars ago and probably forty years before that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-g (177).jpg (51.3 KB, 916 views)

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 13:19   #2
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Looking the opposite direction. The only change is that vehicular traffic is now restricted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-g (219).jpg (47.2 KB, 448 views)

misery is optional.

Old 05-26-2004, 17:59   #3
CSB
Quiet Professional

The Toelz

What about the quad?
Still standing?
And the Sportsman's Lodge?
And the tunnels?
The pool?
The airfield?
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 20:36   #4
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I haven't been there since 1967. I understand a housing developement company has bought Flint Kaserne and is making it into apartments and Condos. Some of the main building was left in place. BTAAF was turned over to the civilians. Soaring is a big sport in Bavaria what with the thermals from the Alps.

misery is optional.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:21   #5
CSB
Quiet Professional

Thank you.

I enjoyed my short tour there, I thought it was the perfect location for the SFOD(E).
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:47   #6
Razor
Quiet Professional

Never was in Toelz, but man do those pics make me miss Germany! Its getting into fest season right about now, isn't it?

Edited for poor German spelling

Last edited by Razor; 05-29-2004 at 20:54.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:15   #7
larfive
Auxiliary

good memories

I remember that place very well. I grew up in germany and Bad tolz was one of my earliest memories. To answer your question about the kasern, airfield ect. The airfield is currently in use by commercial airlines. Last time I was home, I saw germany military on the kasern logistics. I didnt recognize any combat arms IE Fahlschemjagers oder Spetzialaheiten.
LarV
Old 08-09-2005, 18:11   #8
Matt01
FTFSI

the flint kaserne is now called the flint center with a county department in it(landratsamt). all walls and fences have been removed. a new ice hockey stadium was built on the east side and there are now some stores and a bank inside the flint kaserne. i'll send some pics.

something totally different, I am looking for this vest: if somebody has a similar vest he wants to get rid of pm/email me. I think it is made by eagle ciras/paraclete. size small or medium.
pic of the vest
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6986/d4t1b5dq.jpg

thank you.

Matt

Last edited by Matt01; 08-09-2005 at 18:14.
Matt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 18:16   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01
the flint kaserne is now called the flint center with a county department in it(landratsamt). all walls and fences have been removed. a new ice hockey stadium was built on the east side and there are now some stores and a bank inside the flint kaserne. i'll send some pics.

something totally different, I am looking for this vest: if somebody has a similar vest he wants to get rid of pm/email me. I think it is made by eagle ciras/paraclete. size small or medium.
pic of the vest
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6986/d4t1b5dq.jpg

thank you.

Matt
Matt:

Fill in your profile, introduce yourself, and read the stickies and intros before posting further please.

FYI, this isn't a swap meet.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 19:26   #10
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
Looking the opposite direction. The only change is that vehicular traffic is now restricted.
i suspect they still allow Leonardhifarht to go through...still miss the place...

Razor, if memory serves me, Herbstfest should be cranking up in a week or so, if they still have it (i'm not sure what relevance an international parachuting competition would have without us there)...of course, Oktoberfest is next month...there used to be (and i suspect there still are) several major Schutzen festivals throughout the summer, but fall into winter was a more festive season...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton

Last edited by lksteve; 08-09-2005 at 19:29.
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:37   #11
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by larfive
I didnt recognize any combat arms IE Fahlschemjagers oder Spetzialaheiten.
LarV
The Fallschirmjaeger school, at least in the 1980s, was in Altenstadt, about 40 minutes from Toelz. IIRC Altenstadt was simply an airborne training facility and didn't host any combat arms units. They had a 34 foot tower, a replica from Benning. The only difference was the risers didn 't have any slack, risers and cable! Thus I made sure the package was well stowed.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:56   #12
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO
The Fallschirmjaeger school, at least in the 1980s, was in Altenstadt, about 40 minutes from Toelz. IIRC Altenstadt was simply an airborne training facility and didn't host any combat arms units. They had a 34 foot tower, a replica from Benning. The only difference was the risers didn 't have any slack, risers and cable! Thus I made sure the package was well stowed.
The Luftlande- und Lufttransportschule is still in Altenstadt and is still just a school, at least the last time I was there a couple of years ago.

As for "special units," the main one is the KSK. They are at Calw, which is a short ride from Böblingen, where 1/10 is at now.

A bunch of Bad Tölz pictures over time are here: http://www.usarmygermany.com/USAREUR_City_BadToelz.htm
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:11   #13
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer

As for "special units," the main one is the KSK. They are at Calw, which is a short ride from Böblingen, where 1/10 is at now.
Our good friends at Calw, 3/251 Fallschirmjaegers, hosted my pathfinder team in some SERE training. Suffice to say, they would have done their forefathers proud when it came to interrogation techniques.

Last edited by FILO; 08-10-2005 at 10:14.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 23:11   #14
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Great pics and website. Bad Toelz is a special town and the people are fantastic.
One New Years Eve, I was pulling CQ and this guy walks into the office. He owned a farm five or so miles down the road. He didn't speak any English, except for 'Happy New Year' and handed me a bottle of wine. Explaining that he knew some soldier would have to pull duty on New Years Eve and miss the celebrating with friends or family. We talked for awhile, wished each other a 'Happy New Year' and he went home to his family. I'll never forget that guy.

When I first arrived at Flint, I was living in the Kaserne. In the morning, you'd go to one huge room filled with sinks and mirrors, to another room with toilets and urinals and for a shower to another room down the hall. Felt like you should toss on your ruck, just to make the rounds every morning.
Old 08-10-2005, 23:27   #15
CoLawman
Area Commander

Quote:
Razor, if memory serves me, Herbstfest should be cranking up in a week or so, if they still have it (i'm not sure what relevance an international parachuting competition would have without us there)...of course, Oktoberfest is next month...there used to be (and i suspect there still are) several major Schutzen festivals throughout the summer, but fall into winter was a more festive season
Or Razor were you thinking of "Fasching" which begins on November 11th at the 11th hour and the 11th minute. Doesn't end until 40 or so days before lent. Now those were parties!
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote