Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 05-01-2004, 19:57   #31
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Reaper, Those sayings are going up on the shop wall here. Thanks!
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 00:52   #32
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Two more SF Maxims:

There is no kill like an overkill and

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.

TR
TR, I learned the second one under other wording, Go Big or Go Home
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 00:55   #33
Air.177
Quiet Professional

AM has a Browning 1892 in 44 Mag and I could scarcely imagine a better partner for a Major caliber Hand gun than a lever rifle
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:00   #34
CrashBurnRepeat
Asset

Harsey you should look into a couple of accessories for racoon dispatching; a suppressor and the .22 SSS (sniper subsonic) from aquila. The suppressor is obvious, it'll allow you to shoot whenever without irriating the neighbors, the aguila .22 SSS is about twice as heavy as a normal .22 LR and very effective.

I've used them on coons and as long as you're relatively close, you're good to go. They have a lot more "oomph" than the normal 30 gr .22 lr's.

The only issue is the really heavy bullet doesn't stabilize as well because of the slower twist so long range accuracy isn't anything to crow about. But I was shooting out my back window at probably 10-20 yards and they were great.
CrashBurnRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 18:30   #35
Murphy's Law
Asset

I unfortunately can confirm the power of a .22 pellet as im scheduled for surgery friday to have the one in my left hand removed.
Old 05-04-2004, 18:37   #36
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruta
I unfortunately can confirm the power of a .22 pellet as im scheduled for surgery friday to have the one in my left hand removed.
Too bad, that is normally a job for the Team Medic.

Oh, Dooooccccccc!!!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 18:47   #37
Murphy's Law
Asset

something tells me medic wont be my MOS as i went in there with a pair of tweezers and only managed to pull out a hunk of flesh. I did think to steralize the tweezers though.
Old 05-04-2004, 19:00   #38
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

War Story.

Team 180A has a cyst on his elbow, been trying to get an appointment at Womack Army Medical Center for a while.

Team Medic says, "You don't need all of that to remove a cyst, we can do that here in the team room."

Cut to Chief, sitting in team room chair, elbow draped, anesthetized, elbow opened up.

Junior Engineer assisting, has a set of forceps buried deep in the elbow, and yells, "I GOT IT, let ME rip it out!!!"

Senior medic goes, "No Mark, that is a vein, not a cyst."

Junior Engineer (disappointed) goes, "Well can I rip it out anyway?"

Chief gets restless, issues nervous, but nasty look.

Fun and games on an ODA.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 19:47   #39
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
War Story.

Team 180A has a cyst on his elbow, been trying to get an appointment at Womack Army Medical Center for a while.

Team Medic says, "You don't need all of that to remove a cyst, we can do that here in the team room."

Cut to Chief, sitting in team room chair, elbow draped, anesthetized, elbow opened up.

Junior Engineer assisting, has a set of forceps buried deep in the elbow, and yells, "I GOT IT, let ME rip it out!!!"

Senior medic goes, "No Mark, that is a vein, not a cyst."

Junior Engineer (disappointed) goes, "Well can I rip it out anyway?"

Chief gets restless, issues nervous, but nasty look.

Fun and games on an ODA.

TR
Good one! Our favorite medic?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 18:30   #40
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Another Story...

We were training Philippine Rangers some years ago. Had this one PI Ranger, PVT Dumbass that kept placing the muzzle of his weapon on his foot and resting on the butt stock. The first time I saw him I told him not to do that as it was a bad habit and one that could get him shot. He shrugged his shoulders, stood up straight and continued to soldier.

Monday morning, the Rangers return to train with us. Dumbass is not to be seen. I ask where Dumbass is and where’s our team medic? Someone says Doc is seeing one of the PI Rangers. I say fine and wait for Doc to return.

Doc returns after a long time and I ask what was the problem. He said, “well you remember Pvt Dumbass, he shot himself in the foot, just like you said he would.” Our TL just caught the last part of the conversation and started to become unglued. “We’ve got to report this, a serious incident, it has to be reported to higher!” (His first trip OCONUS)
I said “Sir, how Pvt Dumbass entertains himself on his own time is on him. Doc how bad is it?”
Doc: “We’re going to have to debried the wound and place him on some antibiotics etc.”
Me, “Well that’s just fine, who on the team has not debrided a wound? Pvt Dumbass just became a training aid.”
We didn’t report it. Pvt Dumbass took a 5.56 right through the middle of the foot and fully recovered, thanks to our medic. Good training.