Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 06-11-2011, 14:55   #46
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Bonus!.......We don't need no stinking bonus........

I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not.......
Zonie Diver

Enough said.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 15:22   #47
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Bonus!.......We don't need no stinking bonus........
Yeah, but they ARE giving bonuses - and not necessarily to be SF. You may get a bonus for enlisting for 5-6 years vs. the 2-4 that everyone else signs up for, or a bonus for a college degree. They give these bonuses to the future cooks and water purification guys, so why wouldn't you want a possible future Brother to get one too? At least tell these kids to take the bonus then donate it all to the SOWF, or GB Foundation, etc. Personally, I'm all for helping out guys and their families if they're willing to do the deed.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49   #48
25MM
Asset

Contracting Question

Forgive me for asking a question that I'm sure is covered here somewhere. I have searched for a current answer to this, but have not found it.

I will be going to MEPS to sign my contract for 18X within the month (July '11). My recruiter is telling me that the contract won't actually say "18X" on it, it will be an "11X" contract. Is this correct?

He has also told me that at 35 years old, I am still eligible for this program because he can do an age waiver for my prior AD service (3 years). Is this also correct?

If anyone can answer this for me or point me in the right direction for who I should talk to, I would be grateful. I just want to make sure I am indeed signing up for 18X when I sign the dotted line.
25MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 15:50   #49
Texas_Shooter
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25MM View Post
Forgive me for asking a question that I'm sure is covered here somewhere. I have searched for a current answer to this, but have not found it.

I will be going to MEPS to sign my contract for 18X within the month (July '11). My recruiter is telling me that the contract won't actually say "18X" on it, it will be an "11X" contract. Is this correct?

He has also told me that at 35 years old, I am still eligible for this program because he can do an age waiver for my prior AD service (3 years). Is this also correct?

If anyone can answer this for me or point me in the right direction for who I should talk to, I would be grateful. I just want to make sure I am indeed signing up for 18X when I sign the dotted line.
My contract did not say 18X or 11X but it says REP-63. It should say somewhere in there that you have to pass Basic, AIT, and Airborne School, Pass the SF Physical, and is able to obtain a secret clearance.

Maybe since you have to obtain the age waiver that you have to go on a the Infantry Enlistment Option. But ask about the REP-63 option.
Texas_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 16:54   #50
SCT27
SF Candidate

Quote:

Hey 25MM,
I just reviewed my contract to confirm this, and nowhere does it say anything about 11x. The only time it refers it is on my job qualifications information page, "Applicant will complete 11B OSUT". I am also prior service as you are, but having a prior 19D MOS means that I need to get the 11B MOS. So again if it doesn't show 18X, than it probably isn't something you should sign. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Scooterdude REP-63 is the National Guards equivalent to the 18X program, but you probably already knew that.

"Even though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will not be afraid, for you are with me." Psalm 23:4
SCT27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 16:59   #51
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:
I am out of the loop on things now, and alot has changed, but...

Many NG units used to / do NOT like to enlist you straight into the SF unit, cos the admin involved in transfering you're ass out of the unit when you wimp out and quit, or simply fail selection all together is annoying.

So they enlist you into an 11B unit or equivalent and then borrow you from that unit with what can be described as an "understanding" with that non-SF units G1.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Scooterdude REP-63 is the National Guards equivalent to the 18X program, but you probably already knew that
Again I am a little rusty on this information, but I'm note sure that's completely correct.

Some units offer a straight pipeline all the way thru option (EXACTLY like AD-18X program), others offer a program where you enlist, finish AIT, and then drill, and then SFAS, and then drill, and then the Q. Some offer both options. I think Cric cleared this 18X v Rep-63 wording somewhere around here. My point is NG may actually offer Rep-63 AND 18x contracts from a wording PoV. I could be wrong, do you're homework.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 07-08-2011 at 17:09.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 17:41   #52
25MM
Asset

Thanks

Thanks for posting your replies regarding whether or not 11x would be on the 18x contract.

As prior service, I'm a little wary when it comes to the contract signing and want to make sure I'm getting exactly what I'm wanting to sign up for...I'm sure you understand this. As a young dumb 18 year old years ago, I signed up for 11x being told it was the way into a Ranger contract....I ended up mechanized infantry for three years. Sheesh. I want to get it right this time.

Any other info is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 18:11   #53
Scimitar
Area Commander

Hang on 25mm, I'm not sure you've advised us wheather you are going AD or NG this time around? Cos it looks like you're going AD from your previous posts,

From memory there is supposed to be an identifying comment on your contract re: SF, but from memory it wont show SFAS or 18X anywhere. Or it might say it in the small print, I can;t remember.

Be very very careful here, you wouldn't be the first to have been misled.

One option when you get to MEPS, ask the counciling Sergeant to show you clearly where it staits you have the oportunity to attempt SFAS immediately after completeing OSUT / BAC. If it's not clear enough, feel free to do what you can do in any legal contract. Write in a hand written clause and inital it and then ask him to inital it.

I've seen this done at MEPS, and most counciling Sergeants will happily initial it, if the statement is true. Nice little test, if you're not sure you're being given the full stroy. Most counciling Sergeant have no interest in misleading you, but the occasional recruiter does. Ask a conciling Sergeant a straight question, you'll tend to get a straight answer.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 07-08-2011 at 18:30.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:56   #54
25MM
Asset

Scimitar,

To clarify and answer your question, yes, this is regarding AD 18x. Not NG. I'm looking at doing this and staying in for a career.

To all,

Your information is really helping and the idea of speaking with the Counseling Sgt. at MEPS if need be is a great idea.
Old 07-19-2011, 15:22   #55
Ehre
SF Candidate

I just checked a copy of my contract and it will say 18x on the Enlist Job.
Ehre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 17:47   #56
blacksmoke
Like My Mankini?

Quote:
Scimitar,

To clarify and answer your question, yes, this is regarding AD 18x. Not NG. I'm looking at doing this and staying in for a career.

To all,

Your information is really helping and the idea of speaking with the Counseling Sgt. at MEPS if need be is a great idea.
I signed on May 25 and my contract DID SAY 18X! I am also prior service and it starts with 14 weeks Ft. Benning, 3 weeks Ft. Benning, 2 weeks OSUT ( I don't know why) and 3 weeks Ft. Benning. This is presumably, Infantry OSUT, Airborne, ??, and then SOPC.
blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 15:21   #57
mariley85
Asset

I have a bachelor's degree, and never thought once about a bonus. I figured an automatic E-4 and an 18X contract was enough of a bonus for me. I suppose that's a good place to be; mentally, emotionally, and philosophically. That said, maybe I should pump my recruiter for some info before I sign on the dotted line...
mariley85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 00:35   #58
PokemonMaster
Asset

I am getting released from the Guard early and getting an 18x contract. Am I eligible for a bonus?

If not then I don't care just going to SFAS is living the dream.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:45   #59
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonMaster View Post
I am getting released from the Guard early and getting an 18x contract. Am I eligible for a bonus?

If not then I don't care just going to SFAS is living the dream.
You may have to pay back the bonus you got from the guard.

What MOS did you enlist for in the guard, what bonus did you get and did you fulfill your first enlistement?
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15   #60
Kemical
Asset

They laughed when I was asking about bonuses. Money is a little tight in the Army right now. I was told I could get a bonus if I took a job like 35P but even then it was way less then the $40,000 they show on the brochures. I didn't even think to ask about student loan reimbursement, so that might have been a "bonus" that I missed out on. It's not like I'll have time to be runing around spending money anyway so plenty of time to pay that down with my check.
Kemical is offline   Reply With Quote