Old 06-30-2014, 19:21   #1
TheFrenchman
Asset

SOCM Prep

Evening gents, I have just a few questions. I bought the Anatomy Coloring book and the Medical Terminology Encyclopedia. Also, had a few months of reading A&P basics, just curious if anyone would suggest techniques they used in the past to help remember the material because I've been having trouble retaining some information throughout chapters. Also maybe any pointers before attending the actual course in August. Thanks.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Johns 15:13
TheFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 22:17   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenchman View Post
Evening gents, I have just a few questions. I bought the Anatomy Coloring book and the Medical Terminology Encyclopedia. Also, had a few months of reading A&P basics, just curious if anyone would suggest techniques they used in the past to help remember the material because I've been having trouble retaining some information throughout chapters. Also maybe any pointers before attending the actual course in August. Thanks.
This is not where your first post here should be.

I think that you will find that in the years that this board has been open, your question might have been asked before.

Have you tried the Search button?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 23:57   #3
TheFrenchman
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

I think that you will find that in the years that this board has been open, your question might have been asked before.

Have you tried the Search button?

TR
Negative, I looked into the more "recent" posts but they were from a few years back, was just curious if anyone who recently completed the course would have had maybe different opinion.

I was suggested to use this website from a friend, was just curious.

But thank you, I'll try and look a little deeper at some older posts; hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Johns 15:13
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17   #4
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

After you've done that I might have some advice. In my opinion, A&P is at the heart of your training and everything will be easier when you've mastered that material.
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
Do not post anymore until you have followed the directions you received when you signed up regarding where to make your first post.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24   #6
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

What spottedmedic said! But after you comply with The Reaper and Snaquebite, I'll be glad to give you some pointers from a FOG's POV.

The Mother of learning is Repetition, the Father of learning is Discipline! That may give you a clue.
Old 07-01-2014, 14:33   #7
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Well, now that you've completed step one...

Mnemonics will help you remember something's, other stuff is rote memorization.

Oh, Oh, Oh, To, Touch, And, Feel, A, Glistening, Vagina, So, Hot.

Will mean something to you one day soon, and you may never forget it. Practice your math skills - you will need them too.

And Beer! You will need lots and lots of beer about every two weeks. (Can substitute whiskey, bourbon or vodka as needed.)

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 15:22   #8
TheFrenchman
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Well, now that you've completed step one...

Mnemonics will help you remember something's, other stuff is rote memorization.

Will mean something to you one day soon, and you may never forget it. Practice your math skills - you will need them too.

And Beer! You will need lots and lots of beer about every two weeks. (Can substitute whiskey, bourbon or vodka as needed.)
Yeah I slipped up and forgot to post in the introduction...oops.

Ha, I'm curious what that is going to help me remember. I heard it's a lot to take in, in such a short period so I'm sure I'll be sipping on whiskey while studying.
Old 07-01-2014, 15:34   #9
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenchman View Post
Yeah I slipped up and forgot to post in the introduction...oops.

Ha, I'm curious what that is going to help me remember. I heard it's a lot to take in, in such a short period so I'm sure I'll be sipping on whiskey while studying.
No, no, stay sober during the training and classes!

The medicinal uses of alcohol are to be liberally used after testing to clear the mind, and prepare for the next class. Binge, hangover, fresh start on Monday.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 16:27   #10
adal
Quiet Professional

ODNT is spot on. Mind wipe!!

I have all my new medics (civilian now) learn that mnemonic. If they don't already know it I have them write me a paper. It's a basic level requirement for all else in your assessment.

(I still have that damn ADCAVANDIMLS stuck in there too. )

Old 07-02-2014, 10:52   #11
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Hmmm. That reminds me of something I saw scratched on the bathroom wall of a Holiday Inn Express, in Boston, a few years ago:

"Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Virgin Girl's Vagina AH!” It also said something like, “For good cranium call” some girl from Nantucket. Whoever wrote it forgot to put said “girls’” phone number on the wall, though. That left me scratching my head.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:11   #12
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Hmmm. That reminds me of something I saw scratched on the bathroom wall of a Holiday Inn Express, in Boston, a few years ago:

"Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Virgin Girl's Vagina AH!” It also said something like, “For good cranium call” some girl from Nantucket. Whoever wrote it forgot to put said “girls’” phone number on the wall, though. That left me scratching my head.

Pat
That should read, "Oh, Oh, Oh, to touch and feel virgin girls' vaginas and hymens!"

And I always learned "ADC VALNDALISM"
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:33   #13
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

As already stated, learn existing or create your own mnemonics for stuff. A simple one I still remember is All Dogs Eat Kids to remember fat soluble vitamins. It will take time so start early, but knowing the skeleton, muscles, vasculature, and endocrine system will help everything else make sense. Not to mention rote memorization takes a lot of time, at least for me, and best not wait to do it while busy with more important stuff. Don't ask me how I did it, but I earned distinguished honor grad mostly from good study skills.
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:05   #14
TheFrenchman
Asset

Thanks

Appreciating the feedback! I'll try and keep checking in on this throughout airborne. I just cleared Ft. Myer so I'm heading back south, I will see ya'll later gentlemen.

Thanks again,
Zach
Old 07-02-2014, 16:56   #15
pjbluetogreen
SF Candidate

khan academy anatomy and physiology on youtube.

Is a great source to help you get the info. good luck