Old 11-03-2012, 10:08   #766
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It's interesting to note that within 24 hours some folks were hollering for Food, Batteries and Fuel.

More by 48 hours - and now in some parts - according to the news - it's starting to get real testy.

Food, Batteries and Fuel are things you use every day. When given notice that a major storm is going to hit your area how hard is it to start buying the basics a few days out? Too hard for many it appears.

Crue had a plan - it appears many of the neighbors in the greater area didn't.

Oh, well........
In light of what is being reported about the 'victims' of Sandy, I still amazed how very simple and minimal amounts of prep make the difference between the self reliant and the dependent.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42   #767
Destrier
Quiet Professional

Battery system.

Ok, test day since it is now cold enough to run wood burner all day.

System currently on a pallet to move around until I make a storage pack
Batteries fully charged, started testing at 0900.
Switched house to batteries. Initial charge showed 25.8vdc.
House being kept at 68 degrees
Currently running 15 to 48 amp draw average, based on whether the wood stove fan and house furnace fan are running or not. Two computers running, Freezer, fridge, and well pump from time to time when using water. So far 2 hours 40 minutes into it and batteries still at 23.7vdc , With an auto shut off at 20vdc.

System
4 gel pack batteries hooked up in a 24vdc system.
Magna Sine magnum MS Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger
Mini Magnum Panel MMP
ME-RC Basic Remote Control

Hoping to get a minimum of 6 hours out of the system, that will hold me until I can add more batteries.
Enlightenment comes with age. In SF we cannot wait for aged enlightenment to be successful. We need to be successful now. This means hunt out education, seek advice from experts, become an expert, and never stop learning. Never let your ego keep you from asking questions! Pass on your knowledge! (Pistol Pete)
Destrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59   #768
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrier View Post
Ok, test day since it is now cold enough to run wood burner all day.
Thank you, very interested in following along with you how this proceeds.

In bringing your system up to 25.8VDC has that turned out to be pretty linear, in terms of being able to predict regeneration time based on discharge?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17   #769
Destrier
Quiet Professional

Well just over 4 hours now, still at 22.2 vdc. The batteries, charged until the unit hits its auto shut off, the initial charge showed what it did, simply based on the capabilities of the batts. As far as duration, the temp is not super cold, but I started the wood burner at 0900, so the fan inside it to keep fire going and get water tank up to 170 degrees ran along time that first hour. So far its fairly nice watching it drain. With woodburner only turning on a lil each hour to keep water temp up, I am seeing a reduction in drain since first hour. It looks like I will hit my 6 hour goal fairly easily.
Enlightenment comes with age. In SF we cannot wait for aged enlightenment to be successful. We need to be successful now. This means hunt out education, seek advice from experts, become an expert, and never stop learning. Never let your ego keep you from asking questions! Pass on your knowledge! (Pistol Pete)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53   #770
Pete
Quiet Professional

Picture

Are we going to get a picture or two of the setup?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:13   #771
Destrier
Quiet Professional

Attachment 23540Here is the Pallet and set up for batts. Generator is next to it and cable running from Inverter to wall that is underground to main house breaker box 80 feet away. Goal is to add a 1 gauge connector to be able to disconnect the batteries and have them in a self contained pack that one guy can load/unload. At present, I can put pallet on my ATV trailer or Horse Trailer and move the system to wherever. Have considered getting one of those electric chainsaws and using the system when I cannot acquire fuels. Someday, a solar panel would be nice, but for now the gasifier and generator will have to do.

The cables are long, so I can place the system on a trailer etc.

Ok, 5.5 hours low bat shut off kicked in, My 6 hour goal not reached, but I did keep house temp at 68 and ran two computers, with outside temperature at only 48 degrees the system is adequate. Colder outside temps, will probably reduce current system to around 5 hours running the house, fridges, freezer, wood burner, well pump, interior fan in ducts. Good enough to get sleep at night but not luxury.

Will invest in 4 more batteries over next year and that should fix me up.
Now to get gasifier input valve all setup. For gasoline, gasifier and propane. Currently can only run generator with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02787.jpg (59.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02785.jpg (38.2 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Destrier; 11-14-2012 at 13:40.
Old 11-14-2012, 14:04   #772
PSM
Area Commander

Destrier,

Is your well pump "on demand" from the tap or a "lift pump" to a storage tank?

We are 100% off-grid on a Solar/Propane set up. The well pump would be our biggest drain on the system, so I left if off and use a generator once a week to top off our 1500 gal. storage tank. A small pressure tank feeds the house.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:13   #773
Destrier
Quiet Professional

The well pump is on demand. The house also has a cistern from when it was built in 1830 but I have it empty at present. In the garage, we have a 250 Gallon portable water tank we can toss on a trailer and fill with a second well that is below the garage, and a hand iron pump in the garage. I could probably do better in that department, I like the idea of pumping only when using the generator from time to time. I will look into it.

Modifying the existing cistern seems the easiest route. Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 14:33   #774
PSM
Area Commander

I'm thinking that, since we only use about 100 gals. a day, running the pump off the solar system for about 10 min. a day is doable.

Some pix:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solar set up 010.jpg (30.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Solar set up 011.jpg (28.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Solar set up 012.jpg (46.9 KB, 104 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 11-14-2012, 14:35   #775
PSM
Area Commander

Outside:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solar set up 013.jpg (50.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Solar set up 014.jpg (56.0 KB, 103 views)

Old 11-14-2012, 19:49   #776
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Destrier and PSM:

Very nice set ups, gents.

Concur with PSM, better to do your big loads (or charging) with the occasional generator run and use the batteries for the heat circ, fans, lights, etc. The refrigerators and freezers will probably be fine with an hour or two twice a day, if you fill the excess freezer space with nearly full water jugs.

Obviously, solar is a lot easier and more practical in AZ than in NY, and vice versa with the gassifier.

Heckuva battery bank there, PSM. What is your system, if I might ask, and what is the life span of those batteries?

Thanks!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 20:53   #777
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Heckuva battery bank there, PSM. What is your system, if I might ask, and what is the life span of those batteries?

Thanks!

TR
On the roof we've got 15 220w (3.3kW) Sanyo panels, feeding 24 2v Surette 1380 (1075ah) batteries for a 48v system. The charge controller and inverter are Xantrex XW series with a Xantrex power distribution panel.

With heavy use (over 50% drain) the batteries are supposed to be good for 8 to 10 years. We have all LEDs for lighting and all Energy Star appliances. Our heat pump is a Daikin 1.5 ton mini-split. Even in the worst of the Summer heat, battery voltage never dropped below 50v, so we may get 10 to 12 years out of them.

We have all the regular appliances except an upright freezer. We wanted to see how things went for a year just in case we needed to go to a propane one. It looks like a regular freezer will be fine.

My only unusual chore is topping off the water tank once a week. And I may be able to do away with that soon.

Pat

Old 11-15-2012, 04:25   #778
Badger52
Area Commander

Very nice indeed PSM. Thought, work & money, efforts rewarded. Thanks for the details on that. Remain interested to see how Destrier's setup continues to work. And this remains a great thread.

As TR indicates solar a very workable thing in what is one of my favorite areas.

Shortly up here as the mercury drops it's gonna be "ok, guys, is there anything we need to get down to Huachuca for?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 15:48   #779
Beef
Quiet Professional

Last night I attended an Advisory Council (school board) meeting at our small local Catholic school. The principal proudly announced that within a day or so after the Sandy Hook murders, our school had an "active shooter" policy in place. I asked her how many drills or scenario practice sessions the students had participated in. Deer in the headlights. "The sheriff's dept. and assisant police chief helped formulate the policy," was the reply. Yes, but have you actually practiced it? "Uh, no, but we will!" Typical bureaucratic response. As former and current SF soldiers, most of us have encountered "active shooters" from VC/NVA to Taliban. We should have a pretty good response system in place. To incude personal EDC firearms, knives, etc. However, what about your wives and kids? A lot of wives won't carry guns and my 15 year old can't take my 1911 to 5th period algebra. So I believe we need to ensure that our family members and local schools and churches are ready for an active shooter scenario. A plan is good, but if you don't rehearse it....... IADs, IADs, IADs. Until it becomes automatic. Starting with basic situational awareness to last ditch counter measures. The local Chamber of Commerce had an open to the public class on active shooters. It was geared to everyone from kids to people with CC permits, as my state is heavily armed. My family attended. After the course, when we went to a restaraunt, I started asking them where were the exits? Why did you sit here? What would you use for cover? etc. My kids enjoyed it and still talk about SA, etc. There is also a pamphlet available from Amazon called "Navy SEAL Tips, How to survive an Active Shooter." By Brandon Webb. (Damn SEALS saved the world!) It's geared toward regular civilians and isn't bad. Of course, none of this stuff will guarantee survival, but we all know that a plan and some training is better that making it up as you go. I would encourage all of you to contact your local schools and ask them what kind of plans they have made and humiliate them it these plans aren't rehearsed like the mandatory monthly fire drill.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 22:38   #780
pyreaux
Guerrilla

Beef

Just to let you know some places are taking this more seriously. A plant I have been working with recently is currently developing their plan with local, state, and fed LEOs. Once developed, they intend to share and practice this plan with everyone on site to include contract and temporary personnel. I let them know that I have personal contacts that provide this type of training as well and they were quite enthusiastic about getting in touch with them as well. Should I work there long enough I will share whatever results come of this effort.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote