Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 05-09-2012, 03:38   #1
jdesert
Asset

AC Shoulder Separation and Rucking

I have a 6 year old AC shoulder separation. It has caused a lot of pain, but I have been attempting to train for the ruck portion of SFAS. I recently completed a 12 mile ruck with my NG unit and couldn't move my arm due to pain and numbness for awhile .

A shoulder separation doesn't seem to be an uncommon injury, so I'm wondering if anyone has a similar experience to mine and has found ways to deal with it. I've tried tight straps, loose straps, and using the waist belt. Not much luck. My current strategy has been to lift weights in order to build up my shoulder girdle muscles, but I'm not holding my breath. The lifting initially causes pain, but I'm hoping the additional muscle will help to stabilize things.

I don't want to throw in the towel on this. My last option is to pursue surgery, but from what I've read, the surgery is hit or miss in terms of pain reduction.

I appreciate any input.
jdesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:22   #2
abnremf
Quiet Professional

I hate to break this to you but if your shoulder is hurting just on the ruck then it's going to be completely useless by the time you get to things like log drills, rifle drills, land nav and team events. My advice is to put selection off for a while and get the shoulder cut on. In July of 2010 I tore the crap out of my shoulder. Surgery didn't happen until October. I did physical therapy for 30 days, deployed and continued to do physical therapy in Iraq. By April of 2011 my shoulder was actually stronger than it was before I hurt it. Better to enter SFAS @ 100%. My .02 cents.
abnremf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

What Type? Has a rebuild of the ligament been recommended?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I started my SF career with a separated shoulder, dislocated it once in the hand to hand pit in Phase One. Cadre told me if I did it again I'd be gone. I did do it again on the jump into third phase, freak accident & bad landing. I told the jr. medic to wrap me up and tell no one. He did. The rest is history. I went onto dislocate it again in freefall, hit by another soldier in the air. After that I was operated on and sat on the sidelines for a year. After a year went back to full duty. It always hurt, motrin was (and still is) my friend.

If the pain from your shoulder is enough to give you pause don't go Special Forces. There are too many situations in Special Forces that are far worse than that shoulder pain. If you don't think you can be 110% don't try Special Forces.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08   #5
jdesert
Asset

@Dusty It's a type 3 separation. While I was going through physical therapy on active duty, they told me they don't operate on a type 3, only 4 and 5. From what I've read, type 3 goes either way. I actually have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow with my civilian doctor (I'm in the NG now). She suspects the lasting pain is from the misaligned bones rubbing and causing inflammation. We'll see.

@abnremf I'v experienced the same strengthening as you. My separated shoulder is actually much stronger than my other shoulder. I think it's because the bone support isn't there anymore and the muscle is taking its place. That is the reasoning behind my lifting, to try and get that pain lessening effect to a greater degree.

@Team Sergeant I'd like to think I have a good gauge of what I can do and can't. Having to admit to myself that my bum shoulder might stop me from doing what I want is not easy and something I'm not ready to do yet.

Thank you for your quick responses.
jdesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdesert View Post
@Dusty It's a type 3 separation. While I was going through physical therapy on active duty, they told me they don't operate on a type 3, only 4 and 5. From what I've read, type 3 goes either way. I actually have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow with my civilian doctor (I'm in the NG now). She suspects the lasting pain is from the misaligned bones rubbing and causing inflammation. We'll see.

@abnremf I'v experienced the same strengthening as you. My separated shoulder is actually much stronger than my other shoulder. I think it's because the bone support isn't there anymore and the muscle is taking its place. That is the reasoning behind my lifting, to try and get that pain lessening effect to a greater degree.

@Team Sergeant I'd like to think I have a good gauge of what I can do and can't. Having to admit to myself that my bum shoulder might stop me from doing what I want is not easy and something I'm not ready to do yet.

Thank you for your quick responses.
I'd take a year off and get any medical treatment I could get for a Type 3.
I've had my left shoulder dislocated 4 times (might be what Team Sergeant was referencing), and that's bad enough. A Type 3 seperation is a whole different monster, and could mess you up for life.
Old 05-09-2012, 21:13   #7
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I separated my right shoulder in 1971 just before starting SCUBA school or whatever it is called now. Didn't make any difference, I got orders for SE Asia a couple of days later so I didn't go to Key West. I was OK in about 6 weeks. I dislocated the same shoulder as a civilian about 15 years later. It's kind of mushy now but it hasn't affected my golf swing which is all that matters. I agree with TS- Ibuprofen is my friend.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:56   #8
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
It's kind of mushy now but it hasn't affected my golf swing which is all that matters.
Max prioritization.
Old 05-15-2012, 15:52   #9
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Now, if I could only putt...
Old 05-15-2012, 16:30   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Now, if I could only putt...
Sure blame your short game on an old injury....
Old 05-15-2012, 16:42   #11
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I am pretending I am a Liberal.
Old 05-15-2012, 17:23   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I think that it is admirable we all have lofty goals.

I also think it is selfish to try to put 11 other people's lives at risk trying to get into an elite organization that demands 100% from its members.

If you are not 100% and fully meet the AR 50-401 standards, do them a favor and then stay home.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote