Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 11-09-2017, 09:53   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

First aid/TCCC/MARCh for host nation personnel

Gents,

I would like to solicit your input/AAR/TTP from any time you've trained a group of indigenous in medical preparedness through language barrier. Unfortunately, my prior experience was more training marksmanship across language barrier and near non-existent medical. Much of the intricacies transfer I am sure, but I defer to those who've done this for a living. I will present the concept to the power that be in a week. A similar class had taken place but for much smaller crowd i.e. body guards who have better English proficiency.

Target audience:
50 host nation drivers who transport US diplomats 24/7. Various English proficiency but most have working knowledge to basic conversational level.
I will have a translator with me who had gone through train-the-trainer. I also have basic rudimentary use of the local language.

Goal:
The drivers will still adhere to their number one directive to get off the x, but be able to convey status of casualties, and in the event they are it, able to render first intervention and convey what they did accurately.

ROI:
More medical preparedness towards number one cause of preventable death i.e. exsanguination. However, I'd also think there's hearts and minds element here: When the local drivers see that Americans are not the only ones trained in the use of first aid/MARCH kit that's in the car 24/7, the likely perception that American lives are valued more should go away, and they feel more as part of the team.

Cultural consideration:
South Asia Islamic culture. Modesty is paramount. No mannequin is available and having someone volunteer to be exposed for demo seems unwise. All students are male. There might be female instructors.

IMHOO, motivation is crucial. Having wasted time with certain 83 CAB zero-motivated-are-we-done yet troops who wouldn't even shoot the extra ammo, I did spot checks among the drivers if they are even remotely interested. The feedback is solid. They recognize they can also use the skill for themselves and loved ones, as well as not being helpless bystander after hours when medical personnel are not on stand by. After seeing how the diplomats did in the class, frankly I won't be surprised if the locals become more proficient.

The concept I have so far for a 1 hr class
1. Didactic overview with videos of various type of bleeds, and a human vasculature poster. I am figuring out just how deep in the weeds I should go. Obviously there will be no discussion on clotting cascade, but I want them to know not just what but why.
2. Demonstration of first aid or TCCC or MARCH. Have participants locate and feel own radial, femoral, etc. Still debating whether it should be limited to just bleeding, or even include R, G, Y triage level, NPA airway, and so on.
3. Divide class to 10 teams of 5. One person in each group is given a scenario card and his buddies will render appropriate intervention. Instructor hovering around for question and guidance.
4. Have each group demonstrate what they did and why.
5. Questions, AAR, and suggestion for refresher

Thank you so friggin much for your feedbacks!

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote