Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 05-20-2015, 14:13   #1
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

GPS/Imagery enabled tablets

All,

Just putting out feelers to see if anyone has built or seen this kind of setup:

-Galaxy note sized tablet (<7") that can run a offline imagery software with GPS capability that can have points/routes plugged into it and actively navigate to them

I am looking to build molle compatible navigation boards. What tablet did you use? Software? What resource did you use for maps?

Thanks!
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 16:03   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Not sure why you would want to get into hardware. Current tablets are commodity driven, low coast & lower profit.

If you are hardware bound, you will compete with the likes of garmin and several other world class GPS manufactures.

Software: Google Maps, Has all the maps with intregrated sat images. It will do car, bicycle, taxi, bus, & walking routes. (I have used the bus & walking routes in London)

You would only need tune the macros to your taste and you would have a package that does any platform. The big pos?? The updates are free and it's platform independent..

My $00.000002

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 16:33   #3
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

I may have put out the wrong vibe. I am not going to physically invent a new setup, I am just trying to get a body worn imagery gps platform for land navigation in a combat zone. I'm thinking about being able to pull grids from ambush points, and track myself on imagery without pulling out a CF-19
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 13:23   #4
TFA303
Auxiliary

I think the key here would be something that can cache all the Google Earth/GIS data offline. That's a lot of imagery to store, so you'd likely have to restrict it to the probable AOR, not world-wide.
TFA303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 15:32   #5
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Garmin GLO Bluetooth GPS receiver for an iPad.

Several topographic map apps out there.

I've not done this, but theoretically should work.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 16:26   #6
Dragbag036
Quiet Professional

I'm using several when/if I use my Galaxy S4.
1. PDF maps - which I can create a KML with checkpoints etc. (I keep a series of maps in the event no data connection, GPS still keeps you tracking)
2. Google Earth - which was already stated, create KMZ and save on device. Anything not loaded as map without connectivity, maps will not load
3. Locus Free - In certain countries I have to turn this on running in the background for other program maps to update.

DB
Old 05-22-2015, 03:56   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragbag036 View Post
I'm using several when/if I use my Galaxy S4.
1. PDF maps - which I can create a KML with checkpoints etc. (I keep a series of maps in the event no data connection, GPS still keeps you tracking)
2. Google Earth - which was already stated, create KMZ and save on device. Anything not loaded as map without connectivity, maps will not load
3. Locus Free - In certain countries I have to turn this on running in the background for other program maps to update.

DB
The S4 supports a SD cards up to 64MB. Should be enought mem to load complete map detail to very hi-res + probably street view(s),, PLUS software.

Building a "package" that fits on a SD chip will gain portability. If your base hardware does not support microSD, a doggle (bluetooth,usb,wifi-hot spot, ect) will allow infinate cross paltform propagation.

The last time I was looking for marine GPS support(10yrs ago), you could get SD cards with area coverage for complete regions larger that one US state. This included water depth, NAV markers & POI w/details.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:21   #8
Dragbag036
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
The S4 supports a SD cards up to 64MB. Should be enought mem to load complete map detail to very hi-res + probably street view(s),, PLUS software.

Building a "package" that fits on a SD chip will gain portability. If your base hardware does not support microSD, a doggle (bluetooth,usb,wifi-hot spot, ect) will allow infinate cross paltform propagation.

The last time I was looking for marine GPS support(10yrs ago), you could get SD cards with area coverage for complete regions larger that one US state. This included water depth, NAV markers & POI w/details.
Thanks for that info. I'm going to try that out once I'm back stateside and bring it with next time. Can I still build my on layer and created cp's and phases on top?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:19   #9
Kryptek62
Quiet Professional

Currently we have a android based software. It runs on a galaxy note II. It has the same 64g micro sd that you can upload map data to. This is the second theatre that I have seen the anroid based software running this type of app. It pulls GPS from the phone and you can plug in routes (manually) and CP, TRP, ect. They do come with a molle compatible hard case (juggernaut). We were using them with Wave relay. PM me and I can get you more details.

steve
Kryptek62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:59   #10
bravo22b
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechorg View Post
All,

Just putting out feelers to see if anyone has built or seen this kind of setup:

-Galaxy note sized tablet (<7") that can run a offline imagery software with GPS capability that can have points/routes plugged into it and actively navigate to them

I am looking to build molle compatible navigation boards. What tablet did you use? Software? What resource did you use for maps?

Thanks!
I don't think that I have the 100% solution you're looking for, but I recently bought an iPad and downloaded an app called GPS Toolbox. I used it to survey several new DZ's in the Baltics and was very impressed by its capabilities, especially since the app only cost a few bucks.

It does store imagery offline, although I'm not sure how much control you have over how much imagery. Based on my use, I would say enough to use for dismounted movements. Another drawback is that it uses Apple Maps or Bing imagery, not Google. However, I found the imagery to be generally good.

It can use lat/long (decimal or min~sec) and 10 digit MGRS. It allows you to plot a large number of points, assign metadata to them, and also easily convert between location formats. It also easily computes range and bearing between points, although it reads in true north, so you have to convert.

While using it, I was very surprised by the accuracy of the program and the internal iPad GPS. 99% of the time, it was within 1-3 meters of my Garmin 60csx, and this was while using it offline. Another great aspect of the app is that it allows you to export all your points in .CSV, .KML, or .GPX formats, so you can put them into Excel, Google Earth, or load them directly onto a Garmin GPS, which saves you from hand-jamming tons of waypoints.

It's probably more of a mission-planning tool than a real-time navigation tool, but it might work for what you're looking for with a little playing around, and it's cheap. It basically does everything I used to use Falconview for, but way easier and more user-friendly. It's definitely more of a professional tool than most of the "navigation" apps out there that I've seen.

Last edited by bravo22b; 05-31-2015 at 08:02. Reason: added KML
bravo22b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:09   #11
ableonetwo
SF Candidate

Have you played with the Net warrior? It can plug into a 152A and with ANW2 you can do real time SA (much like a blue force tracker) and it also is a KDU and has some biometrics programs. There is a lot of premission mapping you can do (like falcon view) and drop locations, waypoints, etc. Below is the link for the big army version, ours is much better and is galaxy note, but you can load maps like you do in falcon view. If you dont have them check with your group or BN 6 they may have some. If you have any other questions PM me and we can talk.

http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/docs/...ter-061512.pdf
ableonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 18:51   #12
Tetrian
Asset

I can't speak for hardware too much as i haven't done that much research on it. But on the software front Personal eye system( http://pes.milsistemika.com/ ) is really brilliant - and its android based, meaning alot of options when it comes to tablets.

It can download and store offline maps from google maps - and has the option to use custom maps as well.

Outside that it offers alot of functions expected from a military grade BMS system - everything from friendly and enemy positions, waypoints etc - all the way up to sharing your position or even your entire situation map through SMS or a network. (the SMS function is brilliant, anyone with a smartphone using the app can recieve your position either at will or automatically).
Tetrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 19:14   #13
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

A good source for unclassified commercial imagery thats free to all Federal employees can be found here.

https://evwhs.digitalglobe.com/myDigitalGlobe/login

You can use this anywhere and even share it with HN troops. You will need to register for an account and have a .gov/.mil related email and or CAC access to register and be approved and assigned an account.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 14:00   #14
poink
Asset

Ill toot my own horn for a second,

There is a program called TransApps. Its a Samsung note II that has a NSA validated kernel on it. So you can store data at rest up to Secret. It has some really high res imagery thats stored on the SD card. You an fit a lot of imagery on a 64GB card. It also supports connections to PRC-152, 152A 117G 117F 150. So you can send data over the horizon on tacsat or HF if you need something like that. You can even request custom applications and we will build it.

Edited.

Last edited by The Reaper; 07-21-2015 at 16:44. Reason: Edited to remove business address
poink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 16:43   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by poink View Post
Ill toot my own horn for a second,

There is a program called TransApps. Its a Samsung note II that has a NSA validated kernel on it. So you can store data at rest up to Secret. It has some really high res imagery thats stored on the SD card. You an fit a lot of imagery on a 64GB card. It also supports connections to PRC-152, 152A 117G 117F 150. So you can send data over the horizon on tacsat or HF if you need something like that. You can even request custom applications and we will build it.

Address Deleted
You should probably review the board rules again, and follow them before posting further.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote