Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 10-25-2012, 19:59   #1
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Oil Magazine Springs?

I wanted to know if anyone here has oiled their magazine springs? I'm interested in protection from moisture/rust. Or what do you think about silicon spray? Thanks!
Gold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:51   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I clean and maintain magazines the same as any other part of the weapon. We learned when I was working at Wpns Branch that malfunctions would usually be a magazine problem.

Still use Break-free.
Old 10-26-2012, 18:35   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

It is a good idea if you want them to collect dust.

Most mag springs are chrome silicon or stainless, which means they are naturally rust free.

If yours are rusting, go ahead and oil them if you feel better, but they will be attracting a lot of dust after you do, and require more frequent cleaning.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 21:15   #4
Dozer523
BANNED USER

TR
What do you think of the idea of releasing the spring from the housing during long periods when the mags will be stored empty? The "letting the spring rest" idea?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 22:00   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
TR
What do you think of the idea of releasing the spring from the housing during long periods when the mags will be stored empty? The "letting the spring rest" idea?
If the mags are stored empty, there should be very little load on them, so I wouldn't bother. There are BAR mags out there that are almost 100 years old and are still working, and metallurgy today is better than it was back then.

I would consider having plenty of spare mags and extra springs though. Mags today are made to be disposable. No point in having a bad $10 mag keeping a $1000 rifle from being reliable.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 10-27-2012, 07:18   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
It is a good idea if you want them to collect dust.

Most mag springs are chrome moly or stainless, which means they are naturally rust free.

If yours are rusting, go ahead and oil them if you feel better, but they will be attracting a lot of dust after you do, and require more frequent cleaning.

TR
Next to this advice from a proven SME, my post looks ignorant; I need to clarify in order to not appear misinformed (stupid).

When I say maintain the magazines the same way as any part of the weapon, I'm concurring with TR's advice, e.g. disassembing the mag during "PMCS", when the weapon is disassembled. I wipe all parts dry after cleaning, and reapply enough lube to rails (or whatever part needs lube depending on the environment).

Down South, I left a light coat of Break Free-more than I would in a desert environment-oxidation being a problem in the jungle.

The point was supposed to be that the magazines should receive no less attention than any other part of the system, IMO.

Did I crawdad out of this one?

Last edited by Dusty; 10-27-2012 at 07:22.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26   #7
Richard
Quiet Professional

We lightly oiled and then wiped nearly dry in the tropics and European/North American forests, cleaned and bone dry in the desert and Arctic, constantly cleaned and lubed with CLP for MAROPS.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00   #8
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Next to this advice from a proven SME, my post looks ignorant; I need to clarify in order to not appear misinformed (stupid).

Don't sweat it! We're used to it.
Nope.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08   #9
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

The big thing is lightly oil, wipe dry. Do not allow oil to get on the rounds themselves during use. You will create a hydraulic pressure problem when the case expands the oil causes channels to form in the brass.

Believe it or not, I have seen oil placed in the mag with rounds in the mag. This is a problem waiting for the first couple of shots.

My 2 cents.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:26   #10
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
If the mags are stored empty, there should be very little load on them, so I wouldn't bother. There are BAR mags out there that are almost 100 years old and are still working, and metallurgy today is better than it was back then.

I would consider having plenty of spare mags and extra springs though. Mags today are made to be disposable. No point in having a bad $10 mag keeping a $1000 rifle from being reliable.

TR
Quote:

When I say maintain the magazines the same way as any part of the weapon, I'm concurring with TR's advice, e.g. disassembing the mag during "PMCS", when the weapon is disassembled. I wipe all parts dry after cleaning, and reapply enough lube to rails (or whatever part needs lube depending on the environment).

Down South, I left a light coat of Break Free-more than I would in a desert environment-oxidation being a problem in the jungle.

The point was supposed to be that the magazines should receive no less attention than any other part of the system, IMO.

Magazine Springs will generally retain their functionality whether they are compressed or relaxed. What wears them out is cycling i.e. loading, unloading or radical/repetitive thermal changes. I have several P35 mags that I carried in RVN 40 years ago and have been used numerous times since, that still function flawlessly and are never left empty for very long!! I do keep my mags lightly oiled (almost appear dry) with either LPS2 or 3. LPS meets a Mil-Spec Fingerprint neutralizing requirement that is not found in many "Lubricants". I have a Citori that I shot competively down on the Texas Gulf Coast, that I wiped down with LPS2 after every outing. While the Gold is worn off of the trigger, there is not a spec of oxidation on the rest of it!!! Sweat, constant moisture, etc. and it is rust free!!

Any questions please give a shout!! Also...............forget wd40!!!!!

Dusty...................that was a very good Mud-Bug Scramble!!

Martin
Old 10-27-2012, 09:33   #11
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
Dusty...................that was a very good Mud-Bug Scramble!!

Martin
Not if even Dozer smelled it.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:11   #12
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Not if even Dozer smelled it.
Don't Sweat it!! Let's all do as Brothers do and just settle down for a Brew!!

Later
Martin
Old 10-27-2012, 11:39   #13
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
Don't Sweat it!! Let's all do as Brothers do and just settle down for a Brew!!

Later
Martin
Who's buying the first round?

Quote:
The big thing is lightly oil, wipe dry.
This is what I was told at Camp Mackall in July 1970. We were issued old, rusting, (some) bent M-14's and told there was a weapons' inspection in two hours. We cleaned furiously, then mustered on the concrete in front of the only tarpaper shack classroom. "Bear" Martin was the inspector and he didn't check a single M-14. He had us open our ammo pouches and pulled out a magazine to inspect.

We all failed. He then told us to check and clean them - as noted above. (From then on, most of the time we referred to him as "Magazine" Martin.)

Lesson learned with NO shouting, pushups, or punishment. It was then that I realized I was probably going to love Special Forces - if I made it all the way through (which I seriously doubted at that moment).

Last edited by ZonieDiver; 10-27-2012 at 11:46.
ZonieDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:12   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Okay, let me explain something for those who may be curious.

Magazines used to be made pretty much exclusively out of steel. M14s, FALs, M1 Carbines, etc. used steel mags.

Springs in that era could also have been carbon steel.

The HK and Armalites were among the first to use aluminum magazines. They will not rust, though they may corrode if exposed to the right elements (like salt water). The G3 aluminum mags are barely thicker then aluminum foil. IMHO, they are intended to be used once and discarded. The steel G3 mags are very strong, but significantly heavier.

Newer mag bodies will normally be either aluminum, or some form of plastic. As with anything else, some plastic (and aluminum) is better than others. New GI mags are among the best, along with the Magpul mags. Thermold and the other plastics, not so much. The new HK mags for the M-16 and M-4 weapons are steel.

If you see rust on your mag body, floorplate, spring, or follower, you should clean that component and give it a LIGHT coat of oil.

If the mag is new, put a refrigerator magnet on it. If it sticks, you have carbon steel and should keep an eye on it for rust.

As far as lubrication goes, more lube is not always better when it comes to guns. Any parts that appear to be shiny due to surface wear should be lubricated. In desert or arctic conditions, special lubes are required. In a temperate environment, most any oil intended for lubrication of metal on metal surfaces and corrosion prevention will work. In many cases, grease is a better lubricant and rust preventative. I am partial to TW-25B grease (I have used axle grease as well) and a variety of lubes including one homebrew my former gunsmith used to make that he called "Eel Snot". It was a mix of Marvel Mystery oil, STP oil treatment, and some other odd component. I have heard that Mobil Red Cap synthetic motor oil is a good lube, and I plan to try some soon. Even though it is an expensive motor oil, it will be a lot cheaper than buying 1 ounce bottles and tubes at $10 a pop. When lubricating a weapon, excess should almost always be wiped off, as the collected dust, grit, and oil is more of an abrasive than a lubricant. Some guns do like to be run wet internally though.

Hope that helps.

TR

Old 10-27-2012, 17:39   #15
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

T R

Please post your opinion when you try Mobil Red Cap synthetic motor oil.
I've read about some using Mobil 1 5-30 and are satisfied. Thanks!!!
Gold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote