Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 3rd Special Forces Group

Old 04-19-2011, 10:06   #1
nola181
SF Candidate

3rd Group AOR Change?

I recently was selected at SFAS class 11-05, and was assigned 3rd Group/French. I changed my language to Dari because I thought it would be more valuable and because I already am proficient in French. In addition to studying Dari, I am studying French to get back to where I was a few years ago (2+/2+ DLPT). I have heard from a few different places that 3rd Group's AOR is going to change soon, and will no longer cover any countries in Africa. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I am trying to determine if it is worth it for me to continue studying French, or if I should focus completely on Dari if 3rd's AOR will no longer encompass any area of Africa. Thanks for any help.
nola181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11   #2
krod
Quiet Professional

yes and we addressed that during the brief that we gave you prior to selecting your language and MOS, might as well keep your french up, you can get paid for both.
krod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25   #3
nola181
SF Candidate

Thanks for the info. I'm an 11A and none of the As attended those briefs so I wasn't sure if what I heard guys talking about was speculation or fact. Thank you for confirming though.
Old 04-19-2011, 13:12   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Dari vs French

Dari - estimates put Darie speakers at around 12-15 million mostly clustered in the central asian area of Afghanistan.

French - other than France - it's the official language of the UN and most international organizations. Around 145 million folks in the Euro zone speak French to some degree - and something like 27-29 countries have French as their official language.

Now I ain't sayen' but.............

OK, Dari will be a good work language but when some "Hey You" comes down where they need someone who can speak French................

English, Dari and French - sounds like a good combination.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 15:06   #5
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Dari - estimates put Darie speakers at around 12-15 million mostly clustered in the central asian area of Afghanistan.

French - other than France - it's the official language of the UN and most international organizations. Around 145 million folks in the Euro zone speak French to some degree - and something like 27-29 countries have French as their official language.

Now I ain't sayen' but.............

OK, Dari will be a good work language but when some "Hey You" comes down where they need someone who can speak French................

English, Dari and French - sounds like a good combination.

But, but, what about 5.56 and 7.62 According to *ahem* someone, that's all we need to know how to speak...
Old 04-19-2011, 16:32   #6
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
...According to *ahem* someone, that's all we need to know how to speak...
There is a disproportionate number of SF guys who attended the wrong selection process to be quite honest. The same guys who fail to see why language is important also fail to see why the Echo course should include HF, the Bravo course foreign weapons, the Charlie course construction, and the Delta course anything more than SOCM..

Worse yet, these individuals have managed to get promoted and have subsequently been placed in positions where they could implement changes to SWTG and Group...

Okay, I will get down off my box...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 04-19-2011 at 16:34.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 16:42   #7
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
There is a disproportionate number of SF guys who attended the wrong selection process to be quite honest. The same guys who fail to see why language is important also fail to see why the Echo course should include HF, the Bravo course foreign weapons, the Charlie course construction, and the Delta course anything more than SOCM..

Worse yet, these individuals have managed to get promoted and have subsequently been placed in positions where they could implement changes to SWTG and Group...

Okay, I will get down off my box...

Crip
Troof...or isn't that the truth.

Where do they come form???

Better yet...why do they advance and succeed.

Ok, sorry, enough of a "off topic/hijack"

Back to my....whatever I was doing before this
Old 04-19-2011, 17:22   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
But, but, what about 5.56 and 7.62 According to *ahem* someone, that's all we need to know how to speak...
He's overseas, teaching COIN and FID now.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 21:50   #9
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
....and uh, DA in the Desert is all we need to know while certification will set you free. So much from them days still draw a "blank".

oy vey....

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22   #10
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobb07 View Post
I recently was selected at SFAS class 11-05, and was assigned 3rd Group/French. I changed my language to Dari because I thought it would be more valuable and because I already am proficient in French. In addition to studying Dari, I am studying French to get back to where I was a few years ago (2+/2+ DLPT). I have heard from a few different places that 3rd Group's AOR is going to change soon, and will no longer cover any countries in Africa. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I am trying to determine if it is worth it for me to continue studying French, or if I should focus completely on Dari if 3rd's AOR will no longer encompass any area of Africa. Thanks for any help.
To get this back on Topic... Language and 3rd Grp.

YES 3rd GRP Languages and AOR did change. We are now what is called Central Asia.

IMHO - You did the right thing for the Group your going too Sir. Yes, French is easier to learn. I will tell you this and everyone out there. I got French in SFQC. In 10th Group we focused on Bosnia and the target language of Serbian. Group and I self taught myself the Serbian language. Now I could not "TERP" for myself. But I started to score a 0+/0+, next trip 0+/1 last trip to Kosovo 1/1. All started with a BC that made everyone and told all of us that you will be test on DLPT once you get back. Just about all of us did get tested, and most scored very well. That showed me that I could learn what SWC or SWTG thought was a "hard" language.

With today OPI language target training. It goes back to what is stated across the broads here. SF soldiers don't like "talking", yes some Groups still do. Guys have the "Door Kicker" mentality towards language training. But here is SF the UW component of DoD and we have guys that don't care about language. "Why do I need language training. " Some in Leadership Positions seem to have this attitude.

crobb07 - Study hard and figure out how you learn something. As an 18A you should know this by now. Everyone needs to figure that out. Some people can do flash cards from hell and learn by reading. While some have to do, so your a speaker. IMHO - SFQC Language somewhat sucks due to the testing and you start to just studying for those Quizzes. DO what you need to do.

You will have to put in time every night (1 hour at least) on any language that is new for you. If your married, having you wife help you with questions will work. Some weekend you will need to meet. Not at Starbucks in the B&N bookstore. Somewhere that you don't have eye candy. hour or two will work for you I feel.

Group Language programs need Battalion and Group Command visits to see what instructors and students say about the training. Just like when a CO shows up at a range to observe training. This needs to happen IMHO at the Group Language Centers too.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:25   #11
krod
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobb07 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm an 11A and none of the As attended those briefs so I wasn't sure if what I heard guys talking about was speculation or fact. Thank you for confirming though.
No prob
krod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50   #12
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Go to 7th SFG.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56   #13
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Would that be before or after his helicopter set down at the gas station on the highway in UK, when it ran out of fuel?

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52   #14
nola181
SF Candidate

Gents, thanks for all the insight. Pete and MtnGoat, thanks for the specific info. I plan on frequenting this web site as I go through the SF pipeline and even once I get to 3rd Group. It seems like a great forum to learn from some guys with real-world SF experience.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:17   #15
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
and something like 27-29 countries have French as their official language.
I just wish this Country would make English the OFFICAL LANGUAGE of the United States of America!!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote