Old 04-15-2016, 22:51   #136
bobsmith123
Asset

Glad to help

Hi all,

I made the intro post...thanks for reminding me. I will also say it here that I'm a thirty-something National Guard Officer and I'm very happy to be of help to you guys. I'm just sorry I don't have time to get on this forum very often. It's truly a great resource!

Bob
bobsmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:03   #137
MH60
Asset

Selected June 2016 class 09-16

I do not see the need to regurgitate any information so I will keep this post short and concise.

Training
Look up “workout regimen suggestion” posted in this section by Bechorg.

For ruck training stick to around 50 pounds, a good stride is your goal. Going over 50 pounds and or running will only increase your chance on injury.

Packing list items
Bring a good book to read. My recommendation is On Combat by Dave Grossman. This book will change your life.

Bring a sealLine medium map case. It is the perfect sized map case once it is folded; use a piece of an MRE box wrapped in 100MPH tape to use as a table top.

Bring 2 QT canteen straws!

Bring Ranger beads / panties

Bring body glide

Miscellaneous

Complete you’re TABE and DLAB testing at your unit station before you depart for SFAS. You will have fewer things to worry about once you get there.

Soak up all of the information that you can through this site and books.

Be prepared for plenty of down time while at SFAS.
MH60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 20:32   #138
RedHawk12
Quiet Professional

Class 006-17 Selected

I have been reading this particular forum since I first considered Special Forces what seems like eons ago. I am forever grateful to the guys who brought back their lessons learned, both successful and unsuccessful, as well as the sage wisdom of the QPs here. My .02 from my own experiences at SFAS:

Packing list:
o Bring the 2 quart straws from the packing list and change the bite valves out for camelbak bite valves. A lot of candidates didn't bring these items, and it showed when they became dehydrated.
o Bring the bed sheets and pillow. It may seem silly, but it will prevent you from using either your woobie or sleep system which is supposed to be in your ruck. It will save you time.
o Bring lots of socks. And body glide. I used body glide on my feet before each ruck, and I never had any hot spots. Its just one method, but to each their own.

Physical Prep:
I used the Military Athlete 8 Week SFAS Prep program and was well prepared for the events. I was also able to recover relatively quickly after the events and after SFAS as a whole. I highly recommend it.

General:
You will see a lot of the same things repeated here on the forums, and you will more than likely hear them again when you get to SFAS. There is a reason for that. Chief among them: "focus on the 25m target" and "don't quit". This is the best advice anyone can be given who wants to go through SFAS. When asking what the key to success is, most people will answer "don't quit". To some this will seem like an oversimplification, but it truly is that easy. Just don't quit on yourself, and don't quit on your team. I'd add that another key to success training for and at SFAS is: listen. These forums are bursting with knowledge on how to be successful, on how to cultivate the proper mindset and physical attributes that are necessary. Find mentors within this community; seek out their knowledge and listen to what they have to say. When they talk, keep your mouth shut and your ears open; take notes and study. Continue this while you are at SFAS. Be a sponge. This tends to lend itself to more than just SF and the military in general.

If you have not read through every page in the SFAS Advice forum, you should start there.

Just one man's thoughts. Thanks again to the QPs for hosting us, and good luck to the future candidates.

Last edited by RedHawk12; 04-10-2017 at 07:00.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:21   #139
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

RedHawk12....

We may get to meet depending on your schedule & time.???? I will be at the dinning facility at Camp MacKall on Tuesday, June 13,2017 @Noon...tom kelly
Old 04-10-2017, 13:36   #140
RedHawk12
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
We may get to meet depending on your schedule & time.???? I will be at the dinning facility at Camp MacKall on Tuesday, June 13,2017 @Noon...tom kelly
I will definitely be in the area at that time, though my official report date isn't until 19JUN and I won't begin the course until 05JUL.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:57   #141
backdraft85
Asset

Nutrion?

I have read all the pages to the SFAS advice forum, and one question that has continued to come to mind. how much is the importance on nutrition prior to attending SFAS and while preparing physically for SFAS?

"Unless you do your best, the day will come when, tired and hungry, you will halt just short of the goal you were ordered to reach, and by halting you will make useless the efforts and deaths of thousands."- Gen. George S.Patton
backdraft85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:19   #142
MH60
Asset

Food for thought

You can not out work a shitty diet. Training is the easy part, consistently eating healthy is the hard part. The easiest way to think about nutrition is this - eat like you would feed your dog i.e. eat good food, measure your food, and eat your food at the same time everyday.

Last edited by MH60; 05-09-2017 at 10:35.
MH60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 14:11   #143
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdraft85 View Post
I have read all the pages to the SFAS advice forum, and one question that has continued to come to mind. how much is the importance on nutrition prior to attending SFAS and while preparing physically for SFAS?
He's the funny part of that and "training for SFAS". If and when you pass you'll most likely be assigned to an A-Team. And once on that A-Team you'll realize that training for SFAS was just the beginning. People quit after being assigned too.

So if you're not ready for a daily ass kicking don't even think about joining SF.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:28   #144
N0MAD
Asset

SFAS 003-19 January 2019 Non-Select Advice

I was a non-select following team week for class 0003-19 January 2019. After permission was granted here are my lessons learned from the course:

- Pack everything on the packing list including those recommended items. You or another candidate will use it.

- Ensure the foot powder packed falls within the standard of non-medicinal. If it says medicated or contains menthol it is an unauthorized item and will be confiscated. Gold bond is medicated, do not waste your money.

- If you attend a winter class I would highly suggest packing multiple sets of silk tops and bottoms. You will sweat, and after the silk becomes soiled it will lose some of its heat containment properties.

- The best set of boots are those broken in over an extensive training period. I brought three pair and multiple inserts. I used them all.

- You are always being assessed. Do not choose to do the wrong thing, even if your entire bay is. The cadre will identify those who are sleeping when not allowed ect. Don't be that guy.

- Eat everything you're given. You will burn every calorie consumed, especially in a winter course.

- If you cannot pass the first week events you do not belong there. Nothing is in itself difficult. Walk fast, Run fast.

- Land navigation is a test of your skills over very long days when you are already tired. The key is to plot and then to MOVE. You can obtain all your points, but you cannot do it if you don't step off with a purpose.

- Pack everything required on the packing list for each event. I watched multiple candidates get removed from the course after a random shake down. Follow simple instructions.

- You will carry, move, drag, push heavy things all day long for several days during team week. If you are good at carrying heavy things but can't tie knots, then self identify so that those who are skilled and get your team moving faster.

- You are capable of moving further and faster than what your body tells you that you can. You will figure this out quickly if the cadre conduct a takeover. Do not let it get to that point. Move with a purpose.

- I learned more about myself in those 20 days than by any other single event in my life. Following my out counseling I was informed that I would allowed to return within a year if I wanted to. I chose then and there that I would be back. I believe the cadre saw potential in my failings and would not have invited me back had they thought I did not have what it takes to succeed.

- I had the opportunity to interact with those candidates who had quit or been withdrawn for failing to follow instructions before my return to Ft. Bragg. Words cannot express the depression of those individuals realizing their own self failings. Do not put yourself there.

Cast or tab. Don't quit.

-John Wooden
N0MAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 13:05   #145
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Good feedback and sound advice.

Do your best at all times, whether you think you are being watched, or not.

Don't be late, don't be light, and don't be last.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:14   #146
sean827
SF Candidate

Former Green Beret channel on the tubes "FNG Academy"

Former 10th Special Forces posting a lot of tips and tricks to help guys out on the Tube search "FNG Academy" dont worry moderator plenty on there to "verify" me.
sean827 is offline   Reply With Quote