Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-27-2013, 15:09   #16
bjm300
Asset

Here's the link to the Military Athlete train-up program for the UBRR.

http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?...=2&&cart_ID=80

Last edited by bjm300; 03-30-2013 at 21:52.
bjm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:55   #17
PRB
Quiet Professional

So this UBRR will replace the APFT in Special Forces and the Special Ops community?
That would take care of more recent 'events' with the upper body focus.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19   #18
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

It would seem as of right now the rest of the force is interested in matching the door kickers performance and implementing the test. I believe it is a great metric but you may have some great endurance athletes who fall in the lower end just because the goal of their training. I don't see it replacing the pt test just because it is pretty resource and time intensive, and usually 295+ pt you have a stud. I am really glad to see the Thor3 program and things like this being implemented to develop overall functional strength, the kind of things that last a career not just get you ready for a school or selection. As a force we are headed in the right direction. If you don't believe me stop by at tucker gym on Bragg at around 1600Z
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45   #19
Quiet1
Asset

We just took the UBRR and I gotta say that it blows the AFPT out of the water. We had guys puking all over the place.
Quiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:08   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet1 View Post
We just took the UBRR and I gotta say that it blows the AFPT out of the water. We had guys puking all over the place.
Reread the board rules, this is not where your first post should be.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 17:12   #21
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Numbers

Took my first real UBBR today...

PU 62
SU 78
Pullups- 12
Dips-22
Bench-15 @ 180
Kips-18
shuttle-18.8
5 mile- 37:13

Score:1267

I would suggest you go 90% on bench, pullups, and pushups and try not to go to muscle failure at all. The most points canby far be made on the shuttle run and the dips (almost unfairly). The test is made for crossfit types no doubt, and unfortunately the skinny among us. Me? Id rather be 220 and stacked than one meal away from seeing my ribs. Overlal the test smacks the PT test in the face.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:02   #22
greyshade
Quiet Professional

After taking this test a couple of times: My general feeling was those who did best on the standard Army PT test scored the best on this exam. At least that held true for the top 5. May not be entirely indicative just something I noted. +300 PT test guys scored well on the UBRR without exclusion.

Good test, real gut check for those who do not train in a balanced manner. IE. You can bench 375 for reps? Awesome, how's your 5mi run time looking?

I snagged a ton of points on the dips and 5mi run. Probably my two favorite movements in this test.

Look forward to doing it again.
Old 07-02-2013, 20:35   #23
semper.porro
SF Candidate

Scored a 1200+ on UBRR and I had to work my ass off for it. Def support it over the APFT as the more accurate measure of fitness and strength, it's also the standard they use throughout the Q course now
semper.porro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 18:50   #24
jurisdoctor
SF Candidate

Took the UBRR this morning with our SOCM class. Was in the top 5 (all 1300+), and there was only one other Army student in the top 10. Twenty three failed the run, which to be fair was in terrible conditions. Only 13 out of 40 in our class even achieved a passing score of 1100 or higher.

To be frank, the Navy continues to embarras us with their generally superior capability. I could launch into a diatribe about why, but I'm certain a strong factor is the institutional Army's antiquated understanding of fitness. For example, while Army guys are wasting time walking around with a moderately weighted backpack the SEALs are crushing Crossfit WODs, tempo runs, and strength work. Just look at SF's unfortunate "THOR 3" program which pales in comparison to the sophistication and resources NSW has put into its strength and conditioning program.

I continually hear SF candidates shrug it off as accepted that NSW should be superior in this regard. There is also a strong attitude among many of mediocrity, i.e. focusing on what is "passing" for all the various tests (pt or otherwise) rather than striving to excel as far as possible.

I may not be a QP yet, and who knows I may never be. But I certainly hope the community at large has a strong reaction against this mindset. In my opinion, the culture of any SOF unit should be such that it drives these individuals out, rather than tolerates them. It is, needless to say, disappointing.
jurisdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:38   #25
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Good job on the 1300+.

As for the navy, I could give a damn about what they do and how they do it but I would say fitness is a personal responsibility and if you knew the test was coming everyone should be training for it. I am around SWCS and I have seen this attitude about passing the minimum gates as well, and it is troubling. Not passing the five miler is simply guys not running more than five miles and that is on them.

Guys who do the minimum will do the minimum in the team room and in their personal lives. They cannot be trusted on an ODA. Identify them and peer them out. Mediocrity is a cancer and looks real ugly after three years in a team, a few deployments, and a bunch of alcohol. There just simply isn't room to not maintain the standards.

On a final note it is your job to lead by example and put a boot on the throat of those who think its okay to go to the bars instead of the gym during the SFQC.
Old 08-10-2013, 22:01   #26
Scamilton
SF Candidate

My feeling on the NSW subject is these guys have already cut their fat. We are still in the process of cutting the weak out. Since these guys are already SEAL qualified they typically get to work out on their own at any number of gyms available for use in the mornings. Meanwhile us Army guys (CA, and 18D candidates) are stuck doing Insanity with a non-tabbed Radiologist tech 3 days a week. This was only for about 2 months, but not something we should have been doing in the first place.

I understand we are students, but I feel like PT is a personal responsibility. We should be able to self assess our personal weaknesses and be trusted enough to better ourselves. That or have an actual PT program for us while attending SOCM. There just isn't any cohesion on the PT focus. Some blocks they don't care, and just let you do your own thing 3 of 5 days, and mandatory runs / rucks the other 2. There are kettle bells locked up in wall lockers in two classrooms we never got to use, pull up bars, that were utilized for just 4 days of organized PT sessions, and tires that were only utilized a handful of times for organized PT sessions as well.

Doing my best to not come off as whiny, or unthankful for the opportunity I have to get this training and earn my place in this community. I just feel like us 18D candidates aren't getting as good of PT and prep for what lies ahead as we should be.

Last edited by Scamilton; 08-11-2013 at 12:57. Reason: edited to better explain pt regimen and ensure I was not being disrespectful
Scamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39   #27
ltrain
Asset

Scamilton: I can relate to your concerns about PT as I felt the same way in 2010 when I was in the Delta course. The only way to be consistent, for me, was to PT on my own at 0500 until that first formation at 0630. If we had group PT that day then I had 2 sessions . If we didn't, I'd go for a run or study depending on the current academic phase. That routine worked for me 90% of the time... The only phase I had any real scheduling issues was CTM.

Good luck.
ltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:07   #28
TCuneo
Asset

I've seen conflicting information about what a kip-up actually is. Is it a "cheater pull-up" or is it clicking your heels over a pull-up bar?
TCuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:26   #29
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCuneo View Post
I've seen conflicting information about what a kip-up actually is. Is it a "cheater pull-up" or is it clicking your heels over a pull-up bar?
The latter.
Old 07-14-2014, 13:35   #30
Boxer99
Asset

Credit for the creation of the UBRR would go to SGM Ed Bugarin and a few teammates. See link below for interview.

http://www.itstactical.com/centcom/i...or-ed-bugarin/

He still has the original piece of paper on which he and his teammates wrote down the evolutions. One of the most generous and humble men of his calibre I've ever met, and a continual wealth of knowledge.
Boxer99 is offline   Reply With Quote