Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 10-30-2012, 14:15   #1
Cin
Asset

Joining the Military with a Degree.

Hey, I am currently working on my Doctorate in Chemical Engineering and should have everything completed within the next 6 months. I have known for about 2 years that I wanted to join the military, I just really want to finish at UPenn before I enlist.

I'm currently strongly considering either Air Force for a chance to be a CCT or Army for Combat Engineer and a chance to be a Ranger, although nothing is set in stone. I know for certain I want to at least try to get into some form of special forces.

I'm very busy with school, but I have stopped drinking and been training hard for about two years, mainly running, swimming, push ups, lots of stretching and yoga, I use the campus gym when I have time.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve my shot? Will having my Doctorate do anything for my chances at getting into special forces. I'm fluent in Arabic and pretty good at speaking Mandarin. (Self taught and still learning, cant really write well at all though) I just turned 25, I am 6'1 at 175 pounds 9% body fat.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 14:21   #2
Cin
Asset

If I attempt to become a CCT and fail/washout for what ever reason, would the Air Force assign me to something what would use my degree?
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 14:48   #3
ender18d
Quiet Professional

1. Special Forces is not a generic term for special operations units. It refers to a specific regiment in the US Army with a unique set of missions and proficiencies. That is the organization to which this site is devoted. Air Force SOF units and the Rangers have their own online communities, and this is probably not the place to ask questions about them.

2. Army Rangers and Air Force special operations units are very different from Special Forces, although sometimes we interact. It sounds as though you are unclear as to these differences, and more research would benefit you. The information is easy accessible with a search.

3. I would consider doing some homework regarding the various units that you have mentioned before posting here again.
ender18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31   #4
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Will having my Doctorate do anything for...
Yeah, everyone will call you "Professor"!

Other than that, what ender18d said.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:35   #5
JNox
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
If I attempt to become a CCT and fail/washout for what ever reason, would the Air Force assign me to something what would use my degree?
If you come in the AF with a guaranteed job as a CCT and wash out the AF will assign you to where the AF needs you.
JNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52   #6
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNox View Post
If you come in the AF with a guaranteed job as a CCT and wash out the AF will assign you to where the AF needs you.
Two things:

#1) A 'guaranteed job' is not, I am pretty sure, what you get in your contract. I think you get a guarantee of a 'shot' at that job.

#2) In case you missed it - AGAIN - what ender18d said (though the bolding is mine):

Quote:
1. Special Forces is not a generic term for special operations units. It refers to a specific regiment in the US Army with a unique set of missions and proficiencies. That is the organization to which this site is devoted. Air Force SOF units and the Rangers have their own online communities, and this is probably not the place to ask questions about them.

2. Army Rangers and Air Force special operations units are very different from Special Forces, although sometimes we interact. It sounds as though you are unclear as to these differences, and more research would benefit you. The information is easy accessible with a search.

3. I would consider doing some homework regarding the various units that you have mentioned before posting here again.
Old 10-31-2012, 14:23   #7
JNox
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Two things:

#1) A 'guaranteed job' is not, I am pretty sure, what you get in your contract. I think you get a guarantee of a 'shot' at that job.

#2) In case you missed it - AGAIN - what ender18d said (though the bolding is mine):

In the AF you can get a guaranteed job.
Old 10-31-2012, 14:48   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

JNox

Quote:
In the AF you can get a guaranteed job.
JNox - your post just before this one proves there is no guaranteed job.

The only "guaranty" is that you have a shot at it. You wash out you don't get it.

You can enlist in the Army as an 18X but that does not guaranty you an SF MOS.

Lots of "prior" 18X's went to the 82nd as 11 series.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 15:07   #9
JNox
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
JNox - your post just before this one proves there is no guaranteed job.

The only "guaranty" is that you have a shot at it. You wash out you don't get it.

You can enlist in the Army as an 18X but that does not guaranty you an SF MOS.

Lots of "prior" 18X's went to the 82nd as 11 series.
Roger that. I guess they want you to have a warm fuzzy so they call it a guaranteed job but they don't talk about what happens if you can't cut it.
Old 10-31-2012, 16:32   #10
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Honestly, with your language skills,I would peel back the onion around here a little more. Figure it out, and then tell us what you've learned.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 16:50   #11
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Roger that. I guess they want you to have a warm fuzzy so they call it a guaranteed job but they don't talk about what happens if you can't cut it.
As your profile states "I'm not SF..." You shouldn't be posting on this thread. Read the stickie. Got something to share about the SF question? I recommend trying a PM.

Last edited by Dozer523; 11-01-2012 at 06:18.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:51   #12
JNox
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
As your profile states "I'm not SF..." You shouldn't be posting on this thread. Read the stickie. Got something to share about the SF question? I recommend trying a PM.
I was trying to help out with the question regarding the AF that was asked

"If I attempt to become a CCT and fail/washout for what ever reason, would the Air Force assign me to something what would use my degree?"

Not trying to answer any SF questions. Leaving now.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:57   #13
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
I was trying to help out with the question regarding the AF that was asked

"If I attempt to become a CCT and fail/washout for what ever reason, would the Air Force assign me to something what would use my degree?"

Not trying to answer any SF questions. Leaving now.
Not soon enough. You can't follow instructions and you think I can't read. Well, I read yours.
You're an idiot.

Last edited by Dozer523; 11-02-2012 at 13:19.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote