Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 04-11-2009, 14:35   #1
Draco771
BANNED USER

Possible SF Recruit may be being manipulated

I was at the gym this morning, and I ran into an old Wrestling Team friend today...

He's going into the Army, been working with apparently the same recruiters I've been working with going on 2-3 years now...

Only to my surprise......

Apparently all the recruiters (One who's a CMF 25, one who's a CMF 44, and the other don't know because I haven't met him in person yet....) magically became Special Forces overnight!

According the my buddy who I'm now going to start working out with regularly....

He has: 5-6 years marijuana use history
When he was younger he had a couple police incidents
He's 17 years old (graduated)

And apparently according to him, the recruiting station only recruits for Special Forces... (I didn't know 18X was so huge they made recruiting stations for civilian applicants dedicated to them....)

Every Recruiter IS Special Forces... (I've been there many times, not a single was has an SF Tab, nor has a single one even been to SFAS as far as I know)

And talking to him... He didn't even know what in the heck an 18X-Ray Enlistment Contract was, but he's been working with them for 6 months now in joining Special Forces, but doesn't know what in the heck an Infantryman, or a Cavalry Scout even is.......

Apparently... "Special Forces isn't a part of the Army"......

He's been fed so much garbage I couldn't believe it!

(I'm no longer using that recruiting station anymore, and will be waiting until graduation to start using another station...Period...)

With drug history, he's not even eligible for an Confidential Clearance...

"He's just joining to be Special Forces" and didn't know what in the sam hell Fort Benning Was... Or even where Special Forces Preparation and Selection Course was.

His recruiter (who I've met....and have known since he started working there) and the other recruiters... (I know all of them minus the new one) told him "You don't want to do too much research"...

and my buddies exact words to me when I was explaining to him what the 18X contract was, his reply to me: "You've done WAY too much research into that stuff"...

And he doesn't even know how you pick your job... He didn't even know the Army HAS JOBS... But he's been working with the recruiting station going on 6 months now...

I am completely in disbelief, and in complete odds on WTF to do...

I have no idea what the heck to even do right now...

I don't even know how to explain to him, his F* ups DQ him for an 18X or any form of job that requires a security clearance, let alone how to explain to him... He may be DQ'd from the Army permanently either way...

Because he has Asthma...

He's cut 40lbs in 3 months, stopped using his inhaler after apparently his recruiter counseled him to stop using it... (hasn't used it for 8 months according to him)

I don't know what the frack to even do, or even say to him...We almost got in an argument at the gym... Because he thinks I do "too much research" into stuff...

I don't even know what the frack to even do...

I've known those recruiters since I started looking into the Army....

I've known that station since forever...

WTF???

I am so lost right now in what to do... I don't even know anymore....
Draco771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 14:50   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Astronaut

Well, at least he's not signing up to be an astronaut.

I ran into a truck driver one time and in talking with him it came out he had enlisted to be an astronaut. The recruiter had told him that before he could become an astronaut he had to improve his skills as a driver. He was a darn good driver.

Pat your friend on the back and wish him luck. Sometimes the clueless find some.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 14:53   #3
Draco771
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Well, at least he's not signing up to be an astronaut.

I ran into a truck driver one time and in talking with him it came out he had enlisted to be an astronaut. The recruiter had told him that before he could become an astronaut he had to improve his skills as a driver. He was a darn good driver.

Pat your friend on the back and wish him luck. Sometimes the clueless find some.
I just really don't like seeing my friends get screwed over...
Old 04-11-2009, 14:56   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco771 View Post
I just really don't like seeing my friends get screwed over...
Sometimes being an adult means more than you don't have to life with your parents.

You've talked with your friend and given him some words of advice.

You've done your bit, now lets see if he can cowboy up when the time comes. If he makes it through jump school the 82nd might find a home for him.

I can think of a lot worse places to spend a person's formative years. Division will make a man out of him.
Old 04-11-2009, 15:01   #5
Draco771
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Sometimes being an adult means more than you don't have to life with your parents.

You've talked with your friend and given him some words of advice.

You've done your bit, now lets see if he can cowboy up when the time comes.
Honestly... I feel I haven't done enough...

I've known him for three years now, not the most brightest, but he's a good guy...

But either way... I ain't using the recruiting station he uses anymore...

I'm not going to work with guys who manipulate like this... (at least that I know about)

I really hate seeing guys get screwed over...
Old 04-11-2009, 17:14   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Honestly... I feel I haven't done enough...

I've known him for three years now, not the most brightest, but he's a good guy...

But either way... I ain't using the recruiting station he uses anymore...

I'm not going to work with guys who manipulate like this... (at least that I know about)

I really hate seeing guys get screwed over...
If he is old enough to sign a contract then he is old enough to read the bottom line and determine his future.

You have given him advise and he seams to not care to verify what is correct.

The contract is very clear so advise him that he needs to read it clearly. If it does not have what he wants do not sign it.

Nothing more you can do.

Good luck to your friend.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 17:22   #7
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

So, both of you are well below the 20 yoa requirement for an 18X contract!!! How do they plan to pull that off?!?!?!

Just curious.
Martin
Old 04-11-2009, 18:26   #8
Draco771
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
So, both of you are well below the 20 yoa requirement for an 18X contract!!! How do they plan to pull that off?!?!?!

Just curious.
Martin
to SF_BHT, Understood and thank you.

To Ambush Master:

Well... I have no clue...

Apparently according to him, "He's just signing up for Special Forces" because according to him, the recruiting station (it's BS) ONLY recruits for Special Forces, but yet fact of the matter is...

He's been given a bunch of garbage and empty promises...

It remdinds me of what "Those old guys" would talk about, the "Older Soldiers" from the 70s and 80s on the "promises" their recruiters would make, blah blah blah...

"My Recruiter told me I was going to be a General in less than a year!"

That's what he reminds me of...

Even had him put the weights down, and almost drove to the Library to get on a computer, so I could show him goarmy.com just to even see the JOBS the Army has...

In his mind, "You join the Army to kick in doors and rough it in the field"...

I'm not meaning to talk trash about him, but having time to reflect and think about it... He reminds me of the Marine Wannabes... "You doin't join to do a job, you join the be a Marine" and then 5 months later "I hate the Marine Corps, it sucks, blah blah blah" because they never mentally comprehend, or wrap around their heads each branch of the military has specific jobs you do in it...

The whole thing just frustrates me...

So far been looking into several different recruiting station locations... But going to have to wait 120s after Graduation before "working" with an AD Army Recruiter again...

Either way that's not going to phase me much, because I"m not even eligible for military service until October anyways... For a vision waiver supposedly sent through a couple months ago, supposedly that doesn't seem to ring up on any system... (I have buddies who drew the "short straw" are stuck on recruiting duty who haven't found squat on anything.....)

And personally going to try working my friend into seeing a different recruiter/different recruiting station...

Since he's already graduated, rules that apply to me no longer apply to him...

So he can go to any recruiting station he wants to...
Old 04-11-2009, 19:25   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Desiderata - Lord grant me the strength to change what I can, the patience to endure what I cannot change, and the WISDOM to know the difference.

1. You can't save someone from themself. After "doing your duty" further effort just means both of you drown.
2. SF requires a different mindset and better than average intelligence. Obstacles in your path are part of the selection process.
3. Negotiating enlistment hurdles is the FIRST step in a very long process. Success is not guaranteed.
4. Failure to successfully complete the entire process is not necessarilly failure at life. The 82nd needs quality soldiers too.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 20:13   #10
Draco771
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Desiderata - Lord grant me the strength to change what I can, the patience to endure what I cannot change, and the WISDOM to know the difference.

1. You can't save someone from themself. After "doing your duty" further effort just means both of you drown.
2. SF requires a different mindset and better than average intelligence. Obstacles in your path are part of the selection process.
3. Negotiating enlistment hurdles is the FIRST step in a very long process. Success is not guaranteed.
4. Failure to successfully complete the entire process is not necessarilly failure at life. The 82nd needs quality soldiers too.
Understood
Old 04-11-2009, 22:07   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Do you look for this sort of drama on a regular basis?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 19:45   #12
Draco771
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Do you look for this sort of drama on a regular basis?

TR
Not at all... On contrary, I despise drama...

It always finds ways to find me...

I despise it greatly...
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07   #13
Pete
Quiet Professional

Drama is a two way street

Quote:
Not at all... On contrary, I despise drama...

It always finds ways to find me...

I despise it greatly...
Drama is a two way street. It takes two.

Next time he tells you something just reply with - "You know my views. Now, where we goin' tonight." End of Drama.
Old 04-15-2009, 14:56   #14
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

edited
Lazy Bob Ranch

Last edited by Utah Bob; 04-15-2009 at 19:14.
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 16:20   #15
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Originally Posted by Draco771
Quote:
No need too, a apologize for my arrogance, with respect, would it be possible to suspend my posting privileges (but not PMs) for two weeks?
Response from TR on 3/24
Quote:
Everything in life is not negotiable.

Stop posting for a month. The next thread you start that strikes me as out of line, is The End. PM anyone who wants to talk to you.

I have recommended reading rather than posting before, you seem to be disregarding that advice.

We are not your peers, and do have some real world experience to support our ideas. I recommend that you stop annoying people here with your random thoughts and observations.

TR
Draco771, are you "at it" again - days within the one month "stop posting" period?