Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 11-10-2008, 15:20   #16
pope81018
Asset

cornelyj covered the answer better than I could have in words. The specific drills are a little difficult to describe in text, so I will show you a few video clips that demonstrate what basic active stretching consists of.

This clip below contains basic stretches that everyone should complete before exercising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppg-ALSHEaE

The next clip below has a bunch of additional warm up activities that will help loosen muscles and raise your heartrate. The buttkicks and B skip drill are the most applicable to distance running. Thats not to say the other drills won't help, but I would consider them more for competitive runners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcH97Dx8VCk

These drills look really silly, I know. But they are extremely helpful additions to any running exercises.

I hope this response helped!

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Which side are you on?
pope81018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 16:53   #17
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Some things which have worked for me and may or may not work for you:

1.) Ensure you adequately rest.

2.) Do _rapid_ hikes up a long (1-2 miles) incline with a weighted pack. This had the benefits of increasing my leg and core muscle strength and increased my leg muscle speed. This is my single biggest bang for the buck, but learn to enjoy suffering. I do a local 2 mile, 30-45 degree incline with a 45lbs pack and haul ass with no resting.

3.) Cross-train on a bicycle or swimming. This improves performance, and helps speed muscle recovery and gives your legs something a little different to do. I tend to do these on my "rest" days of my running schedule.

4.) Do farklets. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

4) Stay hydrated all of the time

5) Stretch your quads, hamstrings, calves, ankles, knees. Keep them limber.

6.) Get adequate rest. No, really.

Another technique I sometimes use on long runs when my legs are exhausted is shortening my stride, but running at a more rapid pace, so that you look like you're pedaling on a bike in too low (less resistance) of a gear. It takes some practice, but I'm able to run distances much faster while burning far fewer calories.

Hope some of this helps,
Jake
perdurabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 17:13   #18
MILON
Guerrilla

Dynamic Warm Up Resource

All,

Thought I'd add to the list of resources.

http://www.xlathlete.com/browse_admi...=0&group_id=18

http://www.xlathlete.com/browse_admi...=0&group_id=19

Each exercise on the site has an instructional video with it.

Matt
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 17:14   #19
pope81018
Asset

Another technique I sometimes use on long runs when my legs are exhausted is shortening my stride, but running at a more rapid pace, so that you look like you're pedaling on a bike in too low (less resistance) of a gear. It takes some practice, but I'm able to run distances much faster while burning far fewer calories.

That is a very good point-- changing your stride will help immensely during distance runs. Changing your stride length will give you the opportunity to exercise different muscles, delaying fatigue by a good amount. This really helps for hills; short, quick strides up the hill, long strides on the downhill.

Good point!

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Which side are you on?
pope81018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 18:11   #20
RakGunner187
Asset

Thats some great info guys. I will be sure to put it to use. My upper body strength is the best it has ever been with good strength and endurance that I've never had. I've never pushed myself so hard in my life. When I'm lifting or running and I want to quit, I envision that tab and I get mad at myself for even thinking quit, then I push harder. Only thing left right now is the second part of the physical, have to go to Redstone for that since for some reason I can't do it here at Campbell but will try to get some help with that tomorrow. I have been busy trying to find another job lately and think something has come through, will know Sat, so I've been hitting the gym and taking it easy on the cardio. Now its time to hit the road again with the knowledge you gentlemen have bestowed upon me. Hopefully I can also find someone here that likes to run and workout so I can have someone push me even harder. So far I've been smart about working out and have only had the foot problem. No pulled lat like I had in Kabul, that sucked. I will be contacting the active duty recruiters for SF tomorrow in hopes that they know someone that can help with the second part of the physical and also if I can join them for PT. There's just something about having someone else who's better than you to make you work harder at something. I know I'll never be the best, but I will push every second of everyday to surpass the next best guy. So, if anyone in 5th wouldn't mind a partner in the gym or on the road, I would greatly appreciate it. I can't thank you guys enough for the tips and to a certain someone who remembered my bday,lol, I've never felt old until now and I know I'm still young. Thanks again guys and I hope to join your ranks soon.
RakGunner187 is offline   Reply With Quote