Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 08-26-2008, 11:28   #16
magician
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
The Army/DOD rules covering a resident alien say you may enlist and serve to the end of a second enlistment before either qualifying for citizenship or be administratively separated from the service.

Citizenship is required for the base Special Forces prerequisite of a Secret security clearance.

You would be enlisting for the Army first, and later qualifying as an in-service Special Forces volunteer (at grade E-4) and not as an 18X.

There are no guarantees or contracts for anyone who does not qualify or is waived for the baseline.
I recently sat down with the CSM of USSOCOM. He mentioned that one of the more effective ways that SF Command is sourcing successful 18X recruits was siphoning off the "top percentages" at OSUT (he also emphasized that all candidates were infantrymen). I got the impression that this was a recent means of accessing candidates, and I have no idea whether it will be formalized. It certainly is not a sure thing upon which you could depend. Literally, it was not much more than the recruiters talking to three or four candidates in each class and asking them if they would like to try out for SF.

In any case, the clearance issue stated above is probably your primary obstacle.

The SF recruiters are probably absolutely sincere. Keep in mind that they may rotate to new assignments before you are ready to work for them. New guys who have never heard of you may be sitting at those desks the next time that you walk in.

In my opinion, you should be prepared to put your butt on the line as an infantryman in combat before you attend SFAS. If you get lucky and get a shot at SFAS instead, fine. But you are seeking exceptions to exceptions, and the odds are heavily stacked against you on many levels.

Good luck, and thanks for considering service in the US Armed Forces.

No matter what happens, I guarantee that serving in my Army will change your life forever, and for the better.

1st Platoon "Bad 'Muthers," Company A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-1984;
ODA 151, Company B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-1986.
SFQC 04-84; Ranger class 14-81.

Last edited by magician; 08-26-2008 at 11:34.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 21:18   #17
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Reaper- So I have noticed....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 19:32   #18
ender
Asset

If you can't sort out your citizenship issues there is another option.

http://www.csor.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp
Old 09-04-2008, 21:03   #19
Falstaff
Asset

CanSOF are the real deal

We worked with CanSOF on the last push. Those guys are some of the best operators I've ever had the pleasure to work along side. Their tier two force, the equivalent of us, is only a couple of years old, so they have that cool dynamic of being plank owners in a fluid, transformational time. Their young guys still think FID and UW are what makes us special. It's a refreshing change of pace. If I were Canadian, I would certainly give them a look before I scoured the manuals for loopholes into SF.
Falstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 18:08   #20
st1650
Asset

Are there possibility to get in the SF pipeline without a citizenship. I'll be done with university in about 3 years, will be 26 then and I'd like to know how can I get my ducks in a row now to try to get in the pipeline one day. Is citizenship a must have before joining? A green card requires 5(!) years of permanent residence and I'm not sure it would be enough for the Secret clearance.

I've asked various recruiters and all they told me is they don't want to get involved in any immigration issues. I've heard of some .mil programs converting civilian pilots to military so it might help my case but I'm not convinced it'll solve my citizenship issue nor that it's the best MOS for SF. I could be wrong.

As of right now I'm open to any suggestions; beside, you know, coming illegally and waiting for President Obama's nation-wide amnesty.

I'm not interested in any other .mil branch both US and Canada. CanSOF/US Navy/Marines are not viable options right now.
st1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 20:08   #21
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by st1650 View Post
Are there possibility to get in the SF pipeline without a citizenship.
No
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:34   #22
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
But this isn't so much about whether or not I am SF material as much as it is about finding a path to SFAS.
Au contraire my northern friend. That's exactly what it's about. If you are SF material you will find a path. And it won't be a shortcut.
I understand your desire but you are definitely not looking at the 25m line. Valuable training and experience can be gained in the big Army. The essence of soldiering is the same. Pay your dues in the infantry or Rangers. You'll be a better all around trooper and can be an asset to SF.
If you don't like life in a regular unit there's a real good chance you might not be as suited for SF as you think. Only time will tell.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:38   #23
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Au contraire my northern friend. That's exactly what it's about. If you are SF material you will find a path. And it won't be a shortcut.
I understand your desire but you are definitely not looking at the 25m line. Valuable training and experience can be gained in the big Army. The essence of soldiering is the same. Pay your dues in the infantry or Rangers. You'll be a better all around trooper and can be an asset to SF.
If you don't like life in a regular unit there's a real good chance you might not be as suited for SF as you think. Only time will tell.
Good advice.
All SF tasks are based off the basic's , Master the basic's of Shoot, Move, and Communicate.
The more advanced skills will then make more sence to you.
You will also appreciate getting a chance to lead a fire team in the infantry. Without that base of experience you will be behind your peer's that have.
Thats just a fact most 18X's find out in the Q-course.
Leadership is not common it has to be developed threw experience of doing leadership duties and threw watching other leaders at the next level over you.

Last edited by 7624U; 07-12-2009 at 10:41.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15   #24
CasperMike
Quiet Professional

Bottom line--do your time in a line unit, get some working experience, and then put in your packet.
Be careful of what you say about the infantry or those '18 and 19 y/o's'

Originally Posted by Surgicalcric
The 'I will be 30 and dont want to spend my time with a group of 18-19 y/o's' argument is petty to say the least. Those young troopers are out there shooting bad guys in the face everyday. Next time you may want to consider they are doing the deed while you are still talking about it.Crip
Old 07-23-2009, 21:25   #25
st1650
Asset

Let's say hypothetically that I do the citizenship thing (get a job stateside, get married, green card, etc). 18X would probably be unavailable to me (Will probably be over 30 then, etc). Then enlisting MOS 11B then serve in a unit then volunteering for Airborne/Ranger/SFAS would be probably the best choice.

My question would probably be odd for any QPs but being already a rotarhead, wouldn't it be a better idea to enlist under the CWO program and after 4-8 years volunteer for SF ? Does it comes back to the choice of being a Pilot or a Special Force soldier? I know the Army is always hurting for qualified Pilots.
st1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:16   #26
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I think you are still struggling mightily with the decision. And I think you may have waited too long to make one. You're 29 and have been in the US for 10 years. A good time to enlist for you would have been 10 years ago. Then you'd be on here as a QP now.
My advice FWIW is to continue with your civilian aviation career, become a citizen and an asset to your community.
If you still feel that you want to enlist, the flight program would be fine for you but I really don't see you on a team in the future. I could be wrong. That's just my read based on your posts so far. Nothing personal.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 13:10   #27
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
We worked with CanSOF on the last push. Those guys are some of the best operators I've ever had the pleasure to work along side. Their tier two force, the equivalent of us, is only a couple of years old, so they have that cool dynamic of being plank owners in a fluid, transformational time. Their young guys still think FID and UW are what makes us special. It's a refreshing change of pace. If I were Canadian, I would certainly give them a look before I scoured the manuals for loopholes into SF.
I never served with the Canadian SF,but Falstaff seems to me like he's giving you some really sound advice from a guy who has...... Listen to him and investigate what Canada's requirements are for SF and then give it some serious consideration....

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 20:18   #28
Books
Quiet Professional

One of my Chiefs (a Brit by birth) came to the states for school and ended up as an 11B in the Rangers at age 30. That's right, he was an old man in the Ragnars. Did his time in Regiment, then came to our Regiment and has been working solid ever since; I think he's in his early 40's now. He's one of the most competent, physically fit, nicest guys to carry a gun I know.

Another story, this time of a Dark Side Canadian (you know, the French speaking ones) who also came here for school. Joins up as an 11B, does his thing in Corps LRS before coming here. Had to surrender his Canadian citizen ship to get his clearance. Again, a super competent, fit, gunslinger.

I could rattle off a ton of examples like these. I'm older too (went to SFAS at 31). If I could do it again, I think I should have spent some time in a line unit (I came from the Navy). I'd be even better now at my job. As far as I can tell, perhaps the crummiest, most vital, most honorable job in the Army is as a PFC in a line unit. No sense in shirking that experience.

So just join the damn Army or don't. No matter what happens, you'll have a good story, eh? "No fate but what we make," right?

Stay safe,

Books

- Jack Moroney