Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-14-2008, 21:37   #1
ambull01
Asset

finance to SF?

disregard

Last edited by ambull01; 11-19-2009 at 12:14.
ambull01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 22:04   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Leadership is not branch specific.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 22:25   #3
Guy
Quiet Professional

You'll do just fine IF you decide to try-out/come over...Parker should be retired by then.

Any extra skills brought to the table will get employed.

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 00:37   #4
bubba
Quiet Professional

One of the 2 captains in my Robin Sage class was finance. He ran circles around the Armor Captain when it came to leadership and common sense. To use a popular quote, "it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" so to speak.

However, as previously said, bpt answer all the crazy questions about money if you get to a team (from your detachment, the others in the company, and probably every one else).
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:19   #5
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
Leadership is not branch specific.
Absolutely. Nor is it grade, age, gender, race, religion, height, nor weight specific. Not sure about eye color Basically, it is up to you to decide if you have what it takes to do the job-no one here can do that for you.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:01   #6
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Thank You, Sirs

Just want to thank the mature folks for the branch immaterial comments.
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:41   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
One of the 2 captains in my Robin Sage class was finance. He ran circles around the Armor Captain when it came to leadership and common sense. To use a popular quote, "it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" so to speak.

However, as previously said, bpt answer all the crazy questions about money if you get to a team (from your detachment, the others in the company, and probably every one else).
Were his His initials H. Mc N.?? (5th Gp?) 84-86 time frame? He ended up being my company commander, a great guy! He enjoyed telling people he was former finance.

TS
Old 07-15-2008, 14:30   #8
ambull01
Asset

disregard

Old 07-15-2008, 14:35   #9
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambull01 View Post
I've also paid a SF soldier for a $350 limo ride to the airport which was about 15 miles away. I guess you guys deserve to read some Harley Davidson magazines for all the good work you do.
The only one that should be reading the Harley Davidson magazines is the individual who approved and the one that submitted the $350 limo bill and the reading room should be in jail-unless there were some real extraordinary circumstances.
Old 07-15-2008, 14:37   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Concur.

Fraud is fraud, and should be prosecuted.

I would love the see the written justifications for those items.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58   #11
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks for all of the helpful responses. By PL time, I was referring to the planning of operations(i.e. opord, etc).

As far as being prepared to answer questions about finance, I already know a little about some of them. I currently work in finance as an enlisted soldier in a dual status technician slot. I have processed numerous travel vouchers for SF guys from the 20th SF group. I've seen reimbursement requests for motorcycle magazines, gym memberships, zoo entrance fees, etc. I've also paid a SF soldier for a $350 limo ride to the airport which was about 15 miles away. I guess you guys deserve to read some Harley Davidson magazines for all the good work you do.
Hey, high-speed, you need to check yourself and not generalize.

Although I am not currently serving in a 20th SFG unit, that Group was my home for 8 years many oconus trip and two OEF rotations....and until very recently was the flash that I had on my beret. Trust me, "us guys" in the 20th SFG do not operate like that. You just lumped me in with that post and I don't like it one bit.

What was the intent of your post? Trying to make yourself sound important? Or, was it to Publically drag down the unit that you think you want to join (If you pass a whole bunch of training gates first)?

Now from your post I surmize that your think that sort of stuff is B.S. I concur. That crap is an embarrassment. The process is not to "claim whatever you want and see if 'the government' is stupid enough to pay" Both the person submitting and the person approving that voucher as it left the unit should be doing some explaining. Most of all the individual. Wrong is wrong, and like TR said, Fraud is Fraud. In my book, at the unit, if not procecuted, or made the subject of a formal counseling (as the situation dictated) it should have been given back to the individual for redo with a dose of attitude adjustment from the SGM and a mental note kept to look for futher indicators about the the trustworthiness and ethics of that individual. I'd be quick on the trigger if there were repeat indicators of problems in that area.

Stuff like that should not have been submitted by the individual, approved at the unit or paid by finance.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:38   #12
ambull01
Asset

disregard

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00   #13
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The intent of my post was not to offend anyone or generalize. If I have offended anyone, I apologize. As far as making myself sound important, I don't understand how you came up with that. I work in finance and I am usually bored out of my mind at the end of the work day. My job could probably be competently done by a trained monkey.

Dragging down the unit that I have aspirations of joining is the last thing on my mind. I was merely stating the unusual items I have seen on the groups travel vouchers. I have no idea the type of missions and training scenarios the group goes through so I don't speculate about the legitamacy of the requested entitlement. If I'm not mistaken, my CO checked with the unit and approved all of the entitlements.

I have spoken to several people at the unit about questions with vouchers and other items on numerous occasions. They were all etremely professional, knowledgeable, and timely. They are by far the most easiest unit to work with. As a matter of fact, having to call them so often and witnessing their work ethic is one of the reasons I want to be a part of the SF community.
To my knowledge all of 20th SFG's travel voucher didn't cross your desk in MD. You've seen some (or all, I don't know ) of one company in one battalion in the group. That plus the fact that items that you chose to talk about, sounded unusual to say the least and IMO would require some significant justification is what combined to spin me up.

FWIW, I'm very meticulous aobut my travel vouchers. To me it my submission of an claim against the government... and a reflection of my word that the charges were in fact, no-shit operational necessity. Just as I expect to be paid, the government and the taxpaers should expect/demand that I only requsest what is my due IAW the regulations.

GTG then,I'm moving on. BTW, don't put down the job that you do. It is honest work that is pretty damned important to the people who will have BOA hounding their asses if you don't get their paperwork processed!

Good luck to you and also FWIW, make sure your wife is on board with SF and the work/sacrifices that it entails or you will be asking for trouble and setting yourself up for failure on one or more fronts.
Old 07-16-2008, 19:55   #14
HardRoad
Quiet Professional

Location: Georgia, Florida and North Carolina (its complicated)
Couple of things . . .

Parker is retired by now - I understand that, with his departure, they may change the SOF truths to include something about quality being more important than quantity.

Finance is a terrific branch to come from - one of our problems is that we are sometimes too combat arms heavy. It helps to have some outside perspective and unusual skills are always useful. It may be hard to get Ranger, Airborne, etc, unless your CoC all the way to the TAG is very sympathetic, but it can't hurt to try.

Otherwise, train hard and best of luck . . .
HardRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:47   #15
bubba
Quiet Professional

TS, I don't think it was the same guy, he went to 1st group and the time frame was much much later (03-04).

As for schools, IF you get selected, you will get sent to Airborne prior to the Q, and if you "voulenteer" you can go to Ranger school after (all un-tabbed Captains in my class went). The biggest point of this whole thread is, If you are smart, fit, and train-able, you have just as good a chance as anyone. If you need a school/class, you will be given the chance to go. It is always up to you to learn and graduate from it.
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote