Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 11-07-2007, 14:24   #1
Nismo
Asset

What if you fail?

I've been interested in joining SF for some time now. The only problem that I have is that I am a U.S. Resident and as you all know that you have to be a U.S. Citizen in order to turn in a packet.
Well I went ahead and joined the Army to speed up my citizenship status. It's now just a matter of time till I get my citizenship. My question is this.
What happens if you pass through selection but fail out of the school process? My friend that was part of 10th group (as support, he was not SF) told me that if you fail then your MOS changes to 11B. I thought that if you do not make it then you just get sent back to your unit. I do not doubt my ability to make it whether it is physically not mentally, but there is always that small chance. If for some un-Godly reason I were not to be able to make the cut then I wouldn't want my MOS to be changed to 11B.
If this question has been asked before then I sincerely apologize, I did use the search engine but nothing appeared. Well thank you in advance and I hope one day I experience what some of you have experienced.
Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 14:35   #2
Snaquebite
Area Commander

EDIT: Nismo, I'd listen to TR (Below). Apparently he's in a really good mood today.

What I will add is this... The question you posed "What if I fail?" has already placed you in a category and mindset to do just that.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 11-07-2007 at 15:51.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 14:41   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

-Theodore Roosevelt

You are mixing apples and oranges.

AD soldiers who pass selection but are dropped from the SFQC are reassigned with their MOS (they are not actual 18s till the end of the course) according to the needs of the Army.

18X enlistees who fail are reassigned as 11Bs according to the needs of the Army.

This is covered thoroughly in the Intros and stickies. The people we are looking for can find that info. Thay have also introduced themselves in the proper place, as we ask all new members to do in their registration message. Please do some reading before starting new threads next time, and do not post again till you have introduced yourself.

And if you are thinking about failing, you are already there. Don't unpack, just plan on dropping out after the PT test and catching the first thing smoking back to your unit.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 17:43   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What the Boss said.

I will add only this: What if you pass?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 19:57   #5
Para
Quiet Professional

Know this, when you are old and grey, under most circumstances, you will not regret the things you tried and/or accomplished, it will be the things you never attempted that you will regret.
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 20:15   #6
CSB
Quiet Professional

Smoking

From the Profile:

Quote:
Interests:
Spending time with my Wife and my daughter, walking my dogs, smoking cigs
I'm not sure TR meant a pun, but given the physical demands, the only thing smoking after selection might well be you. The physical demands are not even the largest hurdle to selection.

And selection is not the end, it is the beginning.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 20:27   #7
Firewolf
Quiet Professional

If you fail...

A small aside:

in '03, my basic training platoon contained 41 18X's. When we donned berets, 11 of us stood there proudly, the only 'hell fighters' who never said "what if I fail?"

Too many that fell by the wayside asked that question. Quite a few of the early quitters even had infantry units they had hoped they'd fail into. Some movie quote that comes to mind goes " You acquiesce to defeat before you even begin."

For the people who mutter "too hard, too heavy, too far, too much..." Your rucksack is in the hall.

Included is the saddest song in the world, just for those waiting for the truck.
Old 11-07-2007, 20:55   #8
Geo
Asset

Know this, when you are old and grey, under most circumstances, you will not regret the things you tried and/or accomplished, it will be the things you never attempted that you will regret. "Credit to PARA"

This should be one of the posts of the year. I'm 34 and I kick myself in the behind everytime I log in.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 21:27   #9
bricklayer
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Know this, when you are old and grey, under most circumstances, you will not regret the things you tried and/or accomplished, it will be the things you never attempted that you will regret. "Credit to PARA"

This should be one of the posts of the year. I'm 34 and I kick myself in the behind everytime I log in.
I was gonna say the same thing until I scrolled down and saw your post! But if you want it bad enough dont let age stop you! Thats what I tell myself everyday.
bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:19   #10
Nismo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
From the Profile:

I'm not sure TR meant a pun, but given the physical demands, the only thing smoking after selection might well be you. The physical demands are not even the largest hurdle to selection.

And selection is not the end, it is the beginning.
Yes I understand, I stopped smoking a while ago, I just haven't updated that. I do know that going through selection is just the start point and I will be damn sure that I am at the upmost physical condition. Thankyou for the advice I do greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27   #11
Nismo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

This is covered thoroughly in the Intros and stickies. The people we are looking for can find that info. Thay have also introduced themselves in the proper place, as we ask all new members to do in their registration message. Please do some reading before starting new threads next time, and do not post again till you have introduced yourself.

And if you are thinking about failing, you are already there. Don't unpack, just plan on dropping out after the PT test and catching the first thing smoking back to your unit.

Best of luck.

TR

I went ahead and introduced myself, sorry I didn't take care of that prior to posting.

I am not thinking of failing nor do I intend on failing. I am not interested in this because of some video games or some movie I watched. The reason I want to do this is something that I cannot describe. I know it might sound a bit corny but it's true. Thanks again for your information, I do greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-10-2007, 19:48   #12
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
Yes I understand, I stopped smoking a while ago, I just haven't updated that.

Guess you're not in any hurry, even 2 days after the fact. Thats cool no problem........I'm sure you'll make it through Selection...........

Do yourself a favor, just keep cooking. We have no time to supervise you!!!!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 22:07   #13
Daver
Quiet Professional

What if you fail?

OK, it's been a long time since I last posted but I read this with interest. So what if you fail..big deal...it happens..but, if you think about failure, you're already destined to fail. What's my point? Sometimes to succeed you may fail, but the true measure is that you "never quit". I've said this statement hundreds if not thousands of times. Quitting is failing..maybe the post should have been "What if I quit"?

Daver sends....
Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:32   #14
Nismo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
OK, it's been a long time since I last posted but I read this with interest. So what if you fail..big deal...it happens..but, if you think about failure, you're already destined to fail. What's my point? Sometimes to succeed you may fail, but the true measure is that you "never quit". I've said this statement hundreds if not thousands of times. Quitting is failing..maybe the post should have been "What if I quit"?

Daver sends....

Good point
Old 11-11-2007, 01:43   #15
Nismo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire View Post
Guess you're not in any hurry, even 2 days after the fact. Thats cool no problem........I'm sure you'll make it through Selection...........

Do yourself a favor, just keep cooking. We have no time to supervise you!!!!!!
With all due respect, I don't think changing my profile shows lack of persistence, determination or dedication. However, I went ahead and changed so there won't be any misconceptions on my mindset about Special Forces.

I see what you guys mean by always being evaluated. In a way I thank you, stuff like this shows me that even the slightest mistake doesn't go unnoticed.