Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-12-2007, 23:06   #1
bloodlines
Asset

On 18x failure

I read that if one fails 18x, then his enlistment contract will be "renegotiated to the 11B ( Infantryman) MOS and will be reassigned to an Infantry unit." But is this always the case? For instance, can the individual choose or express interest in another MOS?
Old 01-12-2007, 23:23   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

There is no "renegotiating to 11B." 18X's are MOS qualified as Infantrymen and are assigned as such when they dont make it past one of the many gates in the SFQC. There are always exceptions to this, but you need not concern yourself with those at this point. For the record, you can show interest in anything. I would think it best to show interest in that which you come to the SFQC for instead of concerning yourself with what comes after failing. That is unless your like defeating yourself mentally before you start. Four words come to mind; "Needs of the Army."

You may also want to do MUCH more reading. There is a plethra of information here.

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-12-2007 at 23:31.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:28   #3
bloodlines
Asset

Crip: Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is because I'd be interested in becoming a Military Intelligence Officer if indeed I am overestimating my mental and physical capabilities and fail 18x. Perhaps it takes heart more than anything.

I do have one other question I can't find a straight answer to. I'll be graduating college in a year and I plan on either attending OCS or enlisting 18x. On goarmy.com it states "Applicants applying for Active Army OCS will serve three years upon commissioning."

Now, if my interest lies in becoming an SF Officer, I'm told one can either go through 18x first then put in an application for OCS, or, one can go through OCS first, then, with an Option 40, go 18x. Assuming the latter is correct, can anyone give me a timeline on how long it would take to go 18x after OCS? Would I "try out" as soon as OCS is completed?

If anyone has an idea, or can give me some pointers as to what the best routes may be, I'd be grateful.

Last edited by bloodlines; 01-14-2007 at 01:32.
bloodlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:16   #4
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlines
If anyone has an idea, or can give me some pointers as to what the best routes may be, I'd be grateful.
Well you will probably not be too grateful for this, but from what I read of your post it seems to me that you have some soul searching to do. It appears to me that you really need to decide what it is you are looking for in life. Most of the information you seek has been covered in this forum and you can find it using your search button. The path to SF is not guaranteed for anyone, is not suitable for everyone, and requires a commitment of total immersion into a culture and vision that lies beyond most folk's comprehension. While your interest is commendable you need to define your goals and set yourself to achieving them. Even the title of your post indicates a lack of confidence in your abilities-that alone will set you up for failure. While understanding the options is important understanding the commitment you are going to be required to make is more important, so I echo Cric's comments and suggest you do a lot more reading and a lot less fretting about the what ifs. If you do that you will find that there is no relationship between 18X and the Officer track. You will also find that almost a 6 years voyage after becoming an officer of even completing SF training assuming you can be released by your branch, are selected to attend, and successfully complete training.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:16   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Crip: Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is because I'd be interested in becoming a Military Intelligence Officer if indeed I am overestimating my mental and physical capabilities and fail 18x. Perhaps it takes heart more than anything.

I do have one other question I can't find a straight answer to. I'll be graduating college in a year and I plan on either attending OCS or enlisting 18x. On goarmy.com it states "Applicants applying for Active Army OCS will serve three years upon commissioning."

Now, if my interest lies in becoming an SF Officer, I'm told one can either go through 18x first then put in an application for OCS, or, one can go through OCS first, then, with an Option 40, go 18x. Assuming the latter is correct, can anyone give me a timeline on how long it would take to go 18x after OCS? Would I "try out" as soon as OCS is completed?

blood:

You clearly lack a solid understanding of Ranger, SF, and commissioned options. You are coming across as some sort of badgefinder.

You need to do some more reading and research.

If you fail at SFAS, as has been stated many times here, you will be reassigned as an 11B as the Army's needs require. You will not get any further choice in the matter. Once you have arrived at your infantry unit and fulfilled stabilization requirements, other options may be open to you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 14:46   #6
bloodlines
Asset

Thanks Jack, TR. You've both been very helpful.

I am definitely not a badgefinder. The type of pride (for the most part) I'd get out of serving would be just that, giving back to the country that has done so much for me and my people. But with all of my "badgering" questions, I am trying to realize all of my options before I put down anything in ink; mainly, seeing if I should utilize a 4-year college degree (at least on paper) before I set my heart on an MOS and dedicate myself fully. I'm trying to find the line between what I'm most capable of doing, and where I can be most useful.

Thanks again both.

Last edited by bloodlines; 01-14-2007 at 14:51.
Old 01-14-2007, 16:42   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You do realize that 18X is an initial entry enlisted thing, do you not?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 01-14-2007, 17:01   #8
bloodlines
Asset

Of course. Perhaps I'm coming off as naive, why do you ask? I've been researching various sites for several months now, and talked to a recruiter this passed summer.
Old 01-14-2007, 17:46   #9
Lothar
Auxiliary

Listen up you!!!

I think I hear incoming
Old 01-14-2007, 20:42   #10
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Of course. Perhaps I'm coming off as naive, why do you ask...
Quote:
...one can go through OCS first, then, with an Option 40, go 18x. Assuming the latter is correct, can anyone give me a timeline on how long it would take to go 18x after OCS?
I would guess the above comments. I know I was questioning whether or not you knew the difference. I could be wrong though.

A little advice from someone who has been around a day or two, you would do well to stop posting and spend your time reading. The questions you are asking, about OCS and the 18X contract, have been asked before. Try looking for them. The search button works.

Crip

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-14-2007 at 20:48.
Old 01-14-2007, 20:42   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Quote:
Of course. Perhaps I'm coming off as naive, why do you ask? I've been researching various sites for several months now, and talked to a recruiter this passed summer.
This is a mix of officer and enlisted options.

Further, you seem to indicate a desire to attend OCS, become a commissioned officer, then to go 18X, an enlisted initial entry option not for officers, or personnel who are already in the Army. Then, you indicate a possible course of action of going through OCS, a commissioning source, before coming in as an Option 40 (enlisted initial entry Ranger option), and then taking an 18X contract (initial entry SF option).

How many initial entry enlisted contracts do you anticipate being able to sign after you become a commissioned officer? IIRC, that would be a fraudulent enlistment.

Decide what you want to do and enlist for either an OCS option, the Ranger option, or the SF option. There is no way to combine the packages, and you do not sound like you have the committment to make it through SFAS.

Good luck.

TR

Old 01-14-2007, 21:05   #12
bloodlines
Asset

Without going into detail as to my confusion, let me just say thank you for clearing that up; sometimes the internet can be misleading. I will do some further research and soul searching, as some of you have suggested, before I set my heart on a course and act.

Thanks again.

Last edited by bloodlines; 01-14-2007 at 21:08.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:48   #13
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

TR's not saying you can't go SF or Ranger as an Officer,
just not on those contract options [unless you were to resign your commission].
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:03   #14
ZoneOne
Auxiliary

Bloodlines,

One thing I have learned from a lot of lurking on here and reading from other sources is that there aren't any LT's in SF. Officers include the rank of Captain and up. So going in as an officer would require you to make it to the rank of Captain before going into the pipeline. (With a conventional unit)

An average time that takes is around three years. I'm in the same boat as you, as I am in college and about to graduate. Best thing I can suggest (as I am only a student) is get in the best shape of your life. Ruck, run, and run some more and graduate. Then focus on getting a contract either via OCS or enlist w/ the 18x. Either way it's your choice.

Good luck. There is a lot of information on this forum. Best thing to do is search for it and search again. If you can't find it here, try google. Remember to change your search questions to yield the best results. It's all out there it's just depends on how much time you want to put into searching.

If I'm off target in any way - someone help me out so I'm not giving him bad info.

Last edited by ZoneOne; 01-18-2007 at 12:06.
ZoneOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 18:55   #15
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneOne
...If I'm off target in any way - someone help me out so I'm not giving him bad info.
The information you posted is not 100% accurate. There are 1LT(P) in the SFQC. While there aren't many, and most come from the NG if not all, they are there.

You may want to be careful when posting information on subjects you dont have first hand knowledge of, especially when it comes to the SFQC. While there is alot of information available here, there are things that arent discussed about the SFQC.

Regards,

Crip

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-18-2007 at 19:47.