Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 04-18-2007, 07:50   #31
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks BAS. As Paul Harvey would say, now we know the rest of the story. Good day.
Old 04-18-2007, 17:40   #32
Mace
Asset

Thank you for your patience!!

Thanks for second chance, I'm glad to be here!

Thank you, sincerelly!!!
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 13:04   #33
ironstoNe
Quiet Professional

Follow up..

I found the link below on SOCNET, but it's an article posted on Newsday.com. The article goes into detail about the Navy SEAL Lt. who lead a team of SEALs on Operation Red Wing where only one SEAL survived. JLF's account of what happened is reflected in this article and I thought anyone who was interested in hearing about their mission would like to read this.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...5.storygallery

Take it easy gentlemen, back to more PT.
Old 05-15-2007, 20:36   #34
NaRx
Asset

As I can obviously tell, this topic has been covered ad nauseam, but I thought I would put my two cents in regardless. Though I have never been in the field myself and have never been in a situation where it would call for my decision, I would like to think that my team mates would bring me back regardless. At least for my family's sake.

I once heard about a Delta force guy who carried his dead partner on his back along with his and some of his partner's gear over 5 miles out of the war zone with 3 bullet wounds, a knife wound, and third degree burns over half his body.

It may not be true, but regardless. I believe no man should be left behind.

-Will
NaRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 20:42   #35
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaRx
As I can obviously tell, this topic has been covered ad nauseam, but I thought I would put my two cents in regardless. Though I have never been in the field myself and have never been in a situation where it would call for my decision, I would like to think that my team mates would bring me back regardless. At least for my family's sake.

I once heard about a Delta force guy who carried his dead partner on his back along with his and some of his partner's gear over 5 miles out of the war zone with 3 bullet wounds, a knife wound, and third degree burns over half his body.

It may not be true, but regardless. I believe no man should be left behind.

-Will
You should have followed your own advice in your intro, and kept your mouth shut.

Read my comments following your Intro post and stay out of these grown-up discussions. Your input is not needed on this sort of subject. You have no war stories, nor any facts to share. Once you have risked you life, and the lives of others, you MIGHT have some input. Till then, you live in a protected fantasy world, where talk is cheap.

When we get to Pop Culture, you can jump right in. Till then, stay in your lane.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:52   #36
KSC
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaRx
Was that the one staring Chuck Norris and Lee Marvin???
Admin Edit: You bumped a month old thread with this? Be part of the solution and not the problem. NDD
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:14   #37
x-factor
Guerrilla

Washington Post frontpage feature on the surviving SEAL from Operation Redwing. I heard its excerpted from a future book.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061001492.html

X
x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 17:45   #38
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-factor
Washington Post frontpage feature on the surviving SEAL from Operation Redwing. I heard its excerpted from a future book.
The book, The Lone Survivor, was released just about a week ago. I'm half way through it.

/hijack
Old 06-19-2007, 09:06   #39
JGarcia
Guerrilla

Wow.
What an utterly miserable situation to be in.
Old 06-19-2007, 13:09   #40
MFFI115
Quiet Professional

My $0.02

Quote "No one should ever attempt to critique an op without having been there unless there is a compelling reason for doing so and unless you can get as close to the bottom of it as humanly possible." end quote.

DITTO! Wow, can't believe I'm entering this kill zone.

For some more perspective, read Plaster's books. Many had to leave bodies and/or split team members, and many died going back to get them. I did several "Bright Lights" in SOG. In fact, I was on the bird that was shot out when we tried to get Fat Albert's body - it's in John's last book were he ID'd me as the chase medic. BTW, I wasn't a medic - I was on another RT waiting for infil and volunteered as an extra gun for the Bright Light Team.

Been there - done that!!!

I agree with the crusty old SGM in one of the other posts - No one has room to criticize unless they were there.

Signed,
A crusty old SF CSM(R)
MFFI115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:20   #41
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

I just recently talked to one of the SF guy's that was there, and actually found him, and it is truly an amazing story. I'm curious how SF is portrayed in the book if at all.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine

Last edited by Max_Tab; 06-23-2007 at 21:24.
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:51   #42
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Just looked at the book at barnes and nobles, and the SF and ranger guys that found him are briefly mentioned. He is respectable when he talks about them and very grateful, but that portion of his book takes about 3-4 pages.

I told the guy's that got him, that they need to write a book about their experiences. It would be a good addition to his story.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:30   #43
MSF204
Asset

I experienced the no man left behind thing in Vietnam. I was a member of the 4th Bn, 2 Corps Mike Force during the siege at Dak Pek in 1970. We tried to take a hill and were pushed back by a large NVA force. My partner was hit in the legs and was brought back to my position. Just then the NVA counter attacked. I could see the NVA coming down the hill. My partner looked at me and said "don't let them get me" my instinct was to run, but i knew i would never be able to live with myself. I had him moved down the hill and i and another American stayed back to hold off the enemy. We almost didn't get out ourselves. The story is much longer and detailed, but i am glad i stayed allowing him to be saved. I think of that incident often and i know i acted well.
MSF204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11   #44
JGarcia
Guerrilla

MSF
I'd love to hear your story sometime.
Old 09-30-2007, 16:00   #45
mark46th
Quiet Professional

As mentioned, SOG had Brightlight missions to recover bodies. I, also, wouldn't have wanted anyone to get hurt trying to get my body, if they can safely extract. Like the man said, next time you are in the area...

Last edited by mark46th; 09-30-2007 at 16:03.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote