Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 04-04-2006, 17:31   #1
Kuri
Asset

Before you were SF....question for the QPs and Selectees.

Gentlemen,
Before you became a Special Forces soldier, or successfully completed SFAS or any other phase in the Pipeline, what kind of soldier were you? When you were in your "conventional unit", were you the guy that consistently exceeded all of the standards and out performed his peers, did you get chosen for all of the toughest tasks/assignments? I'm well aware of the fact that the "best" soldier in a conventional sense isn't always successful in SF, but I'm curious to know if those of you who've made it, saw it as a natural progression in your career, or did you just simply decide that you were capable of serving your country in a greater capacity than you were previously doing and chose the SF path? Kuri out...
To survive in war, misery must be compartmentalized. Pain denied. It is critical to maintain focus, too much thinking can overwhelm even the strongest willpower. If the mind does not accept the possibility of failure, the well trained body obeys....
Kuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 18:39   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

To hard to explain

I would be consided the 1970s version of an 18X. SF enlistment option, up for world wide assignment with a failure at any step.

The how, why or what never entered into the question. It was never say "I quit". Day after day, week after week and then one day I had orders for my "S".

It has been mentioned many time on this site " A strong mind will carry a weak body further than a strong body will carry a weak mind."

Focus on the 25 meter target.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04   #3
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Well put Pete. I just didn't think that hard about it. By the way this is a guy that hit SF training in '69. I'm still trying to catch up with all the new terms and training deals.... let alone trying to remember all of them when I got there. Think it was the same for Pete. We just got there. For me on a realllllllly fun bus trip from Benning after jump school. I, nor any of us had any idea what the hell was going to happen. We just went through it. There were no books, no hints....... oh there was talk, legends and BS, but nothing that could prepare us or get our minds in the right place. THAT happened when we jumped into Mackall, late one afternoon. Again, Pete said it best. Think I've said this out here a few times. Don't think so damn hard. Whatever comes your way is just that. Deal with it....... Then again, I'm old school. Didn't use one of these things til '93 annnnnnnnd can't type.

Last edited by 12B4S; 04-06-2006 at 02:06.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:55   #4
lksteve
Quiet Professional

well, the truth be known...

i am self-described as a left-handed non-conformist who runs with scissors...these attributes are frowned upon in the 82nd Airborne Division, or at least they were from 1972-1974...i confused the grown-ups...i would make "the Man" on guard mount, was a two-time runner up for Division Trooper of the Month, made it to the Division Driver of the Month finals a couple of times, had the highest Pro-Pay score in my platoon, but didn't take some of the 82nd stuff too seriously (haircuts twice a week, no facial hair, being a member of AUSA)...as a result, my chain of command sent me off to do "unpleasant" chores, like spend three or four weeks in the field as a "G" for Gobbler Woods...spent several "unpleasant" periods with the Airborne Test board, doing "unpleasant" things like jumping from C5As, "testing" MC1-1Bs, doing AWADS jumps...lotsa really "bad" things...

i was lucky...i wound up where i belonged...at least IMNSHO...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:13   #5
Kuri
Asset

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.
To survive in war, misery must be compartmentalized. Pain denied. It is critical to maintain focus, too much thinking can overwhelm even the strongest willpower. If the mind does not accept the possibility of failure, the well trained body obeys....
Kuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 19:36   #6
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

There was nothing before or after Special Forces. I was Special Forces ffrom the beginning to the end. A good version of: "All the Way!!".

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 13:09   #7
x SF med
Quiet Professional

How to describe the 'mentality' of becoming SF - I had the privelege of meeting 3 outstanding SF Sr NCOs and one odd SF LTC while i was in college doing ROTC. I was waiting for early commissioning, but ran out of $$ - so I enlisted - and got a contract for SF - the best thing I ever did for myself - I wasn't the biggest baddest guy, I was a little better educated, but I kept my mouth shut, learned the tricks from the 'older' guys, and got recycled in RS on a peer. Never quit, never feel sorry for yourself, always learn, and plan for every thing that "can't" happen... SFQC is just the start, a ticket to really get'chosen', you really learn once you get your team assignment.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 13:37   #8
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Kuri,
One of the inteersting things about SF is that there isn't a stereotypical SF guy... although many teams may start to look like one another after a while (for example: a Team Sergeant who loves lifting, can, over time, infect his team to get into lifting and create a team of hulks). I had the full spectrum on my team...lifters & runners, introverts & extroverts, Republicans & Democrats, Bikers & Businessmen, drinkers & non-drinkers, mix of ethnicities and excentricies, you name it. One of the great things is that they all came together as a team and accomplished the mission.

Reading through the historical files, when they were starting what evolved into SFAS, they thought they'd be able to draw results from a personality test to help them figure out who had the best chances of succeeding. Guys were all over the map...they kept the personality test to help prevent anyone with psychological issues from getting into training, but other than that, the test hasn't helped them figure out who will succeed.

If I had to name one trait, it would be relentlessness.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 13:49   #9
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

If I had to name one it would be a set: Determination, resourcefulness, adaptability, flexibility and teamwork. The "Army of One" is definitely out IMNSHO.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 14:07   #10
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Army of One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
If I had to name one it would be a set: Determination, resourcefulness, adaptability, flexibility and teamwork. The "Army of One" is definitely out IMNSHO.

I never agreed with that Army of one bull hockey - teamwork, loyalty, and determination are what make it work.

Excellent summation.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 23:22   #11
7624U
Quiet Professional

I was actualy out of the army for 6 years before I realized SF is what i realy wanted so i took a chance came back in the army, did basic all over again, fast tracked back to E-5 with the whole goal of becoming a QP.
In the reg infantry I was the goto teamleader/squadleader . I went to Bsept and raised my GT score to a 128 then got selected.
only have 1 regret I should have never got out the first time
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:43   #12
brownapple

I was an Infantry Officer. Definitely not one that was going to be selected to be a General's Aide, but one that got the job done. Overall, I was probably middle of the pack. My superiors weren't always happy with me, my subordinates knew what to expect from me, and I was well ranked by my peers.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:04   #13
incommin
Quiet Professional

I was in jump school in January 1966. During the first week I was told that I was going to a class room to see some SF guys. I didn't know what SF was. I and several other students listened to what they had to say....in the end I decided to try to get through this challenge they talked about...... the only common thing among those of us who were selected for that interview was our high GT scores.....mine was 133.

I have always looked for more simple ways to do things. Always hated to be told you can't do that or we don't do that here........when told that I wanted to know what policy or regulation said I couldn't. I found SF to be more of a mental challenge than a physical one....that is not to say that the ruck I humped never tired me out......or that I wasn't stressed trying to find my way at times........

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 15:25   #14
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Both Ways

I went thru Phase one and two (Q-Course) as a private in 1983 then was booted out to do the duffel bag drag down to the 82nd. Spent 2.5 years there then returned to the Q-Course and passed the second time. The 82nd was not as strict as I was expecting it to be then. In fact it was pretty wild and had a rebellious attitude at times. Still very disciplined at times but not spit shine all around is the best way I can think to put it. I did get into trouble for not walking the line all the time, but it was always the kind of ass chewing the Senior NCO'S seemed to enjoy giving. Like I reminded then of themselves. When I was going back to the Q-Course they didn't want to lose me but they said it probably would be better for me to return. I saw guys there (82nd) go from Private to BN SGM in the same Battalion. They spent their whole Army career in the same Battalion. I knew I couldn't do that. My uniform was never the best and my Boots were always marginal. I think what saved me was I was good in the field and during that time is when they had the no pressing uniform policy for awhile. Remember out of the dryer on to your body, nothing more. I did learn a lot in the 82nd about leadership. Something I saw lacking in some of the senior NCO'S in group who were SF babies. Notice I said some...... I think it was for the better I got the Boot the first time around in the Q-Course. I saw a few of my friends who passed as privates ending up getting kicked out of group with in the first couple of years. I don't think I had the maturity in me at the time. Maybe, maybe not. In those days SF Group would kick you out for a lessor incident then the 82nd would. Funny the Q-Course was changing all the time back then. When I returned in 1986 it was back to the way it was when I was there as a private the first time. Back to simple Phase I, II and III. I pretty much breezed right thru it. Phase one was the easiest part of the whole Course for me having been thru it and coming from the 82nd as an 11B. But if I wouldn't of passed the second time I would of got out of the Army. I just extended the bear minimum to return to the Q-Course. I didn't want to reenlist (Turned the bonus down. The one they would give you if you graduated the Q-Course) and be stuck in the regular Army for five years if I failed again. I went back to be in SF. I didn't care about their money offer
Old 12-01-2006, 19:29   #15
Matta mile
Quiet Professional

SF traits

Much like GreenHat, I was also an officer. I was in the 82d and was happy but not content until I could go after the "gold ring".
As mentioned in a previous post, lots of diversity but also lots of competitive spirits.
MM

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other" President A. Lincoln
Matta mile is offline   Reply With Quote