Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-29-2009, 03:33   #1
phantom1984
Asset

a question about the Green Beret

I have read that the Green Beret prefer not to call themselves Green Beret.They prefer the name Special Forces. Isn't that what The Rangers,Navy Seals,so on and so forth go bY?? Im really confused and i checked int the search section and couldn't find anything on this please explain please.
phantom1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:14   #2
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Yes and no.

The Green Beret is the Head gear, We ARE the only "Special Forces" in the US Military. The rest of the troops you refer to fall under the moniker of Special Operations forces, often miscalled Special Forces by the ignorant. Generally we all fall under the Spec Ops call sign. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:17   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1984 View Post
I have read that the Green Beret prefer not to call themselves Green Beret.They prefer the name Special Forces. Isn't that what The Rangers,Navy Seals,so on and so forth go bY?? Im really confused and i checked int the search section and couldn't find anything on this please explain please.
The Search button is your friend.

This topic has been discussed here many times.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:37   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
To add:

1)Special Forces is a "branch" of the Army, like the Artillery, Adjutant General, Quartermaster, Signal, Medical, Infantry, a separate branch..

2)One has to earns the MOS(military occupational specialty) used by the Special Forces Branch.

3)Army personal who earn an SF MOS, are required to wear their uniforms as prescribed in AR 670-1, 3-5.a Headgear, pg 18, 3 February, 2005

Quote:
(5) Green beret.
(a) If approved by local commanders, all Special Forces-qualified personnel those carrying the Special Forces MOSs of 18A or 180A, CMF 18, and CSMs reclassified from 18Z to OOZ) are authorized to wear the green beret. This includes senior and junior ROTC instructors and those attending training at an Army service school in a student status (for example, CGSC, DLI, or USASMA).
(b) Special Forces personnel will wear the approved flash of the unit to which they are assigned. Special Forces personnel who are assigned to an organization without an approved flash will wear the generic SF flash (the flash approved for personnel assigned to SF positions, but not assigned to SF units).
4)You will see, even here on PS.com, instances where people quote news articles "Green Beret..... ", this does not imply condoning the wrong term, just use as written.

Net Net,, a green beret hat is a piece of gear...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01   #5
Dozer523
BANNED USER

This is interesting . . .
(5) Green beret.
(a) If approved by local commanders, all Special Forces-qualified personnel those carrying the Special Forces MOSs of 18A or 180A, CMF 18, and CSMs reclassified from 18Z to OOZ) are authorized to wear the green beret. This includes "This includes senior and junior ROTC instructors and those attending training at an Army service school in a student status (for example, CGSC, DLI, or USASMA).
(b) Special Forces personnel will wear the approved flash of the unit to which they are assigned. Special Forces personnel who are assigned to an organization without an approved flash will wear the generic SF flash (the flash approved for personnel assigned to SF positions, but not assigned to SF units).

What is the generic flash?
I've actually been approached about the JROTC thing (I'm a teacher in Real Life).
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:52   #6
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

here it is...

I only know about it because we were threatened with it when we arrived at NPS...they recanted and allowed us to wear our former units patches and flashes.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/gr.../Image4219.gif
Old 01-29-2009, 08:53   #7
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Hey, Dozer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
What is the generic flash?
I've actually been approached about the JROTC thing (I'm a teacher in Real Life).
Lookee here..

http://www.iragreen.com/view/2054/.
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 13:27   #8
VVVV

Different Strokes

I find it (Referring to someone as a Green Beret) to be much ado about nothing.

A number of years ago as I was boarding a flight to Raleigh, I noticed the late LTG (Ret) William Yarborough sitting in the row in front of my assigned seat. I said hello to the general and was engaged in some small talk, when his traveling companion came down the isle. General Yarborough proceeded to introduce me to his friend as "an old Green Beret". I don't believe that there's a sane man amongst us who would have told the general that he was wrong to do so.

Proud to be an old Green Beret.

Last edited by VVVV; 01-29-2009 at 15:02.
Old 01-29-2009, 13:35   #9
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
I thought SF was real life and everyone else is just living a day-dream.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 15:08   #10
phantom1984
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
The Search button is your friend.

This topic has been discussed here many times.

TR
Im sorry but as i stated i tried the search button. Maybe i was typing in the wrong topic ????
Thanks for all the input it explains a lot.
phantom1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 18:43   #11
Pete
Quiet Professional

Green Beret

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1984 View Post
Im sorry but as i stated i tried the search button. Maybe i was typing in the wrong topic ????
Thanks for all the input it explains a lot.
Type "Green Beret" into the search feature and you'll get page after page of threads. Get back with us after you're read them all.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 16:45   #12
CRad
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I find it (Referring to someone as a Green Beret) to be much ado about nothing.

A number of years ago as I was boarding a flight to Raleigh, I noticed the late LTG (Ret) William Yarborough sitting in the row in front of my assigned seat. I said hello to the general and was engaged in some small talk, when his traveling companion came down the isle. General Yarborough proceeded to introduce me to his friend as "an old Green Beret". I don't believe that there's a sane man amongst us who would have told the general that he was wrong to do so.

Proud to be an old Green Beret.

Good story. Being called a Green Beret is not an insult. It's a matter of knowing who you are and what you are. It does no good to insist on not being called something if your target audience knows nothing else.
Old 01-31-2009, 17:42   #13
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
I thought SF was real life and everyone else is just living a day-dream.

S
True, true. But we grow old (if not weery). Full time with the Guard is my unreal life right now.

Last edited by Dozer523; 02-02-2009 at 15:06.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:23   #14
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

In '67 I actually had a lady ask me if I was in the Canadian Army.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:48   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

When reading this, keep in mind that this was pre-COO.

Setting: Funeral in Raleigh-Durham for an SF soldier KIA in RVN 1972. Our ODA from the 7th SFG on burial detail.

Background: Family of KIA did not want the African-American NCOs on our team to participate. Some debate over this and the funeral went as scheduled.

Post-Op: An older relative came over to us and apologized for the behavior of the Klan-oriented (literally) members of the family. Trying to make small talk, she asked one of the African-American NCOs, a veteran 12B, if he was really a Green Beret. He took off his beret, held it out towards her, and told her in a matter-of-fact voice, "No, ma'am - this is a Green Beret...I'm a n*****." Silence - a rush to the bus and a hilarious journey back to Fort Bragg.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote