Old 09-20-2008, 19:58   #1
BlackDragon0311
Asset

NG SF from USMC?

Greetings all. I haven't been on the site in ages and have posted some things similar before this, but figured i'd get some updated and re-evaluated info if I could as far as transfering over to NG SF in due time...

Anyhow, to answer any lingering questions that you might have, yes i'm absolutley determined to get out of the USMC when my enlistment is done in 2011 (would get out now if I could, lol), it not that I hate the military or the USMC, but the unit i'm at right now lied to me about what I was gonna do and i've been miserable here ever since (a grunt stuck in a POG unit), and the experience has basically soured my entire outlook on the Corps as a whole. Dont get me wrong, i'm proud of who I am as a Marine and what I do, but its not the same Corps that I came into as a young 19yr old. Anyway, i've always had a DEEP interest in special operations, as it seems like exactly what I prefer, a close knit brotherhood of warriors that are not used as pawns in the great game, but more like knights on the chess board (if you get my comparison).

Now, its been AWHILE since i've gotten caught up on all this, so lemmie ask some questions that I might or might not have asked already as my memmory has faded a bit. One, if I DID wanna go NG SF, would my prior service record and rank carry over including qualifications, schools, etc? Two, is there some sort of actual try out before I have to go and sign a contract commiting me to the NGSF Selection? Three, will time in NG count twords my already accumulated time for later military retirment?

I have a great sense of duty, of fighting the war we're in until its done, and i've always seen SF as the tip of the spear and the ones really taking the fight to the enemy, which i'm striving and wanting to do more than ever. It feels like my calling, my destiny from the Lord himself to be a warrior and fight the evil of this world, and short of being a spook, I cant think of too many better ways than doing that in SF.

To answer a question or two i'm sure you have, i'm currently 24, a corporal E4 (though will be a SGT before I get out), have around 2 1/2 years left on my current contract (EAS is in 2011), the last Marine PFT I took (few days ago actually) I did 20/20 dead hang pull up's, 100/100 crunches, and a 21:14 minute 3 mile run time, giving me by the Corp's standards a high first class PFT. Aside from a hernia repair surgery i've got no outstanding medical problems, not married, no kids, no criminal record or any blemishes on my military record, and i'm a resident currently of the state of Maryland but will be back at my home state of Texas when I EAS. Anyhow, this is info incase your interested, hit me back and lemmie know what you think, ttyl!

~JohnnyBoy

Cicero
BlackDragon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 20:24   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

1-yes

2-This will depend on the which unit (location) you wanting to serve with. Some have tryouts for their NQP (Non-Qualified Personnel) program, others dont use a selection process, and then their are a few of the companies that you arent an actual member of until after SFAS. This means you would have to enlist into a Infantry unit, for example, but after a few months with said infantry unit you could drill with the aforementioned SF NQP's until they determine you are ready or not for SFAS. 3 months seem to be the magic number with most; if a candidate isnt up to the task in 3 months he wont be and is summarily sent back to the unit he came from without all the hassle of a transfer and equipment turn-in.

There are two NGSF forums here which have contact info for all the units. Call one of them to get your more in depth questions answered. There are also a couple NGSF recruiters on the board here. If you look you will find them.

3-yes

The search button is your friend.

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 09-21-2008 at 01:06.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 00:19   #3
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

We have several former Marines in our outfit here in 5/19. I don't know about the new C/5/19 in TX but there aren't any tryouts to get assigned to the BN REC in CO. As far as I know, once picked up, you just have to continue to attend monthly drills and prepare yourself until they decide you are ready to go.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:25   #4
BlackDragon0311
Asset

k...

thanks, recommend I repost over on one of the NGSF threads?

~JohnnyBoy

Cicero
Old 09-21-2008, 02:37   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

No need to repost it. Just read thru the threads there and you will be able to identify the recruiters. They will have the most up to date info on their specific unit. While it can be said that most recruiters are liars I have yet to meet a NG SF recruiter that isnt a straight shooter.

Also in the future if you use the search button you will find that most of the questions you have about NG SF and SF as a whole will have been answered previously.

Best of luck to you...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:58   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Also in the future if you use the search button you will find that most of the questions you have about NG SF and SF as a whole will have been answered previously.
Exactly.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:26   #7
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

We have several former marines in the unit; some are newly SF qualified and others are in various stages of the Q-course.

You mentioned you will be returning to Texas. It is not too early to start a dialogue with the SF company in Texas, C/5/19. You can contact them at ngtx-sf@ng.army.mil or 210.698.2938, ext. 38.

Regards
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 14:56   #8
BlackDragon0311
Asset

thanks...

appreciate all the input so far. I mainly posted this as I know i can check for previous posting like this, but wanted anyone with some info/experience in dealing with former Marines who had been down this road before. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, or look like an idiot, so my appolagies for that.

~JohnnyBoy

Cicero
Old 09-22-2008, 04:23   #9
abc_123
Quiet Professional

A/2/20 in Chicago, IL also has had a bunch of Marines (mostly reservists, IIRC) come through the training pipeline.
Old 10-31-2008, 16:37   #10
Oldschool45B
Auxiliary

1/19 and GRP are filled with former Jarheads. And almost universally all look back at our time in the Corp fondly but ask ourselvs, "Why the hell didn't we do this to begin with?".

Use the contacts given and see what you can work out. Even as a support guy, I can't imagine being anywhere else. I am now NOT there and I am kicking the shit out of myself. No promotion is worth this hooya bullshit.
Old 01-11-2009, 23:30   #11
USMC/KOPFJAGER
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon0311 View Post
. Dont get me wrong, i'm proud of who I am as a Marine and what I do, but its not the same Corps that I came into as a young 19yr old.
~JohnnyBoy
Old 01-12-2009, 19:52   #12
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC/KOPFJAGER View Post
SERIOUSLY? YOU'VE BEEN IN 4 YEARS
Isn't that equal to the amount of active time you have listed in your profile?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:23   #13
USMC/KOPFJAGER
Asset

yes...but while a reservist which blackdragon is, i've been activated 3x for 1 year deployments. also, im not whining about my time here. granted i have no special operations experience but from my experience in the military you will always get an assignment/mission that you dont like. its what you make of it.
USMC/KOPFJAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:16   #14
Hostile0311
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC/KOPFJAGER View Post
yes...but while a reservist which blackdragon is, i've been activated 3x for 1 year deployments. also, im not whining about my time here. granted i have no special operations experience but from my experience in the military you will always get an assignment/mission that you dont like. its what you make of it.
Slow down there "Kopfjager". No need to belittle a fellow Marine as he earned the same "title" as you whether he is a reservist or not.

-"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Hemingway

Last edited by Hostile0311; 02-09-2009 at 13:56.
Hostile0311 is offline   Reply With Quote