Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2008, 12:59   #1
BoilerPlate
Asset

A Canadian in SF.

Gentlemen thanks for the opportunity to post.

I have read nearly every thread on this forum it seems, and have a question pertaining to my own situation which I have not seen answered. Any and all help is much obliged.

I am a Canadian citizen with a green card but as I have just recently been married, (to a US citizen), I will not have Naturalization until around 3 years. I have lived in the US for a little over 10 years, and wish to serve. Although I may join the US Army regular service with the green card, my current citizenship status limits me from signing an 18x contract.

I am 29 and doing quite well as an independent business owner however I have decided to turn it loose, and earn my place in the US via military service. I am very upset I am ineligible for the 18x contract, so I have researched an alternative path to attend SFAS through an 11B infantry contract. I just recently returned from a visit to Ft.Bragg so I could see and learn first hand how my friend was doing, a current 18x candidate who is I think now in SERE.

My situation and question is this...

While in Ft. Bragg I contacted some SF recruiters who told me that if all my numbers (ASVAB + PT) were squared away, and I excel at BST (OSUT), I can come find them during and around AIT, and they will pull me from my 11B unit assignment, and allow me to work for them in SF liaison while my estimated 6 month citizenship is expedited, at which point they will allow me to sign a 'crossover' contract and carry on as a 18x. At this point I will be 30. (I know 18x age limit is 30 however they mentioned an age waiver for those already in the Army).

This is obviously a substantial risk as I am guaranteed nothing, (no one ever is), and it will not be in writing. All I am looking for is an opportunity and chance to try for SFAS before a years deployment as an 11B.

Is what I have been told by this SF recruiter an accurate enough assessment for me to make a risky yet informed decision down a military path where I can at least get a crack at attending SFAS before spending a year as an 11B? (I understand and am more than willing to serve an 11B if SF circumstances me.)

Many current 18x candidates informed me that during their BST, SF recruiters came and selected a few 11B's to crossover. Does anyone know if this is a regular occurrence? I am wondering if this seems a legitimate path, based on my personal goals. People say all the time that if the Army doesn't put it in writing, don't believe it. Well, I unfortunately have no other choice then blind faith, so I am looking to hear from those in the know.

I appreciate the opportunity to post and hope it's not an out of the line question. It is a complicated scenario and few regular recruiters want to even touch it. Making advice and answers very hard to find.

Thank you.

-Paul.

Last edited by BoilerPlate; 07-31-2008 at 13:14.
BoilerPlate is offline   Reply With Quote