Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 02-25-2008, 15:57   #1
cornelyj
Guerrilla

Post Getting in Shape for X-ray... Good Program?

I have just received my work-out plan from four PhD. grads from health science and sports medicine and wanted to post them on here before they go into full effect. This plan cost me forty-five bucks since I'm a student. I want advice from the people who have actually passed not the gym rats as we students call them, although I will be taking them both into account greatly. OK so as always don't be afraid to tear it apart and give honest opinion of what you would add or subtract.
(I have no place to climb ropes?)

Monday
Pushups * (Push-Up work-out being used.)
Stability Ball DB Press
Sword Draw
Skull Crushers
Standing Calf Raises
Stability Ball Crunches
Planks (45 sec reps)

Tuesday
Run + Ruck.

Wednesday
Pull Ups
Bent Over Rows
Reverse Flys
DB Shoulder Press
BB Curls
Seated Woodchops
Side Planks (30 sec reps)

Thursday
Run + Ruck.

Friday
Squats
Single leg squats
Pushups w/ variation
DB Chest Press
Pullups w/ variation
BB Shoulder Raises
DB Tricep Extenstion
Situps
Planks (45 sec reps)

Saturday

Long Run or Long Ruck.

Sunday

Rest or LSR Long Slow Run.

Warmup
Jog/Bike - 5 mins easy
Leg swings - forward, backward (15)
Walking Lounges - with trunk twists (10)
Squatdowns and twist
Arm Circles

Myofacial Release
IT band
Quads
Hip Flexors
Lats

Sets 3
Reps 12
Rest 60 sec
Tempo 2 1 1

Static Stretches (Post-workout) - hold 30 secs each
Lunge
Hamstrings
Quads - standing
Calfs
Chest

Pushup Variations
regular explosive-staggered
wide elevated
diamond clap
one-leg with med-ball (switch side to side)
explosive with stability ball (SB)
staggered elevated with SB

Do a pushup test every Sunday, to see how many you can pull off without stopping. Take that number and
round down to the nearest *5 (i.e. 46 down to 45), or nearest *0 (i.e. 53 down to 50). This rounded number is
the one you focus on for the week. On pushup day, you will do five sets, with 60 sec rests between sets.

First set, the reps is the rounded number. Next set, decrease by 8. 3rd set, decrease by 2 more. 4th set
decrease by 5, and max out on the last set. On variation day, do 3 sets of as many as you can pump out
without resting.

For pullups, do 4 sets. Max out on the 1st set, then each set after that decrease by two, and shoot for that
number of reps, or as many you can do below that. Variation day, just do 3 sets. The different variations were
the wide grip, the parallel grip, with the row attachment (throwing it over a bar), chinups, weighted
pullups, or weighted versions of each variation. Remember, focus on pulling with your upperback.

Situps, max out on the first set (as many as you can in 2 minutes). Do them like you would for the test. Get
one of the employees working there to help you out if you're working out on your own. The next two sets,
perfect form of 20, and 30 second rest between all three sets.

For the running, just continue doing that a couple times a week. Don't go as long as you have been, try
going for less time, higher intensity. You don't have to focus on specific training or times with the running
portion until you're about 3 months until the test. In the meantime, do variations of two mile, three mile,
or an easy 30 - 45 minute run. Though you want to improve intensity, you don't want to burn out. Come
3 months, start focusing on times. You want to run a 6 min mile (you did that during our mock test, but
only the first mile, and slowed down the second). So you want to focus on keeping that 6 minute mile, and
hitting certain times during the following 4 laps. Saying you ran your first mile, start out with the goal of
hitting the 5th lap in 7:45, 6th (9:30), 7th (11:15), and 8th (13:00). Doing that will achieve the 13 minutes,
but we want to be able to make 12, so that come test day, there's no room for error. As soon as you hit all
of the 4 times (including the 6 min 1st mile), start decreasing each lap in the 2nd mile by 5 seconds. Follow
this routine until you can get the 12 min 2 mile, and maintain until test day.
On "Ruck" days it is completed with a 28 pound pack on a five mile dirt road around a cattle pasture pace now being about a 12-13 min average.

Other points to keep in mind, remember to keep the three points (Head, hips, heels) in line during your push ups
and planks. Also, make sure you focus on stretching after you workout. Flexibility is important, especially
in your case, being that you need to be injury free up until your test. Flexibility will help with injury prevention
and if anything does happen, will improve recovery time. Focus on stretching out your hip flexors (since
you have to do so many situps), and your lats (will make the pullups much easier, as well as injury prevention).
Don't forget the myofacial release (foam rolling and the baseball). This routine, I want you to follow for about
4 weeks, after which you can change it up, but make sure you continue to test yourself, and I recommend
doing a 'mock' test at least once a month before your actual test for the purpose of seeing where you are at
as well as a mental exercise (so that come test time, you know exactly what to expect). Try to simulate
the test as close as you possibly can to the real one. I don't think we went over this, but make sure that
when you workout, don't wear gloves (to improve your grip) and don't wear a weight belt (so that you can
strengthen you core). The only time you should ever workout with a weight belt is if you're going to perform
1 rep of heavy lifting, and only then. Other wise it'll inhibit core development. Wish you the best of luck!

(when push-ups noted above this is work out done, but with more sets and different hand positions as stated above.)

This routine assumes that you are able to do 30 complete push-ups with out resting. By partials I mean restricting the range of motion to just under 1/2 of a complete rep. Always touch the floor with your chest (when possible) and come up almost half-way then back down. A sample routine would look like this:

* Week 1 & 2: Every other day
POSITION #1: Triangle push-ups (you should touch your thumbs to your xiphoid process (lightly!) when trying to touch your chest to the ground)
+ 5 partials
+ 5 complete
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
POSITION #2: Move hands to shoulder length apart (the tips of your fingers should be aligned with the tops of your sholders)
+ 5 partials
+ 5 complete
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
POSITION #3: Move your hands out until, during mid rep, your upper arms will be perpendicular to your forearms. The hands should remain in the same position relative to the shoulders (ie move them "out" in a straight line)
+ 5 partials
+ 5 complete
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
* Week 3: 2 days on, 1 off; 2 on, 1 off; 1 on
POSITION #1
+ Until failure
* Week 4 & 5: 1 on, 2 off; 2 on, 1 off; 1 on, 2 off; 1 on, 2 off; 1 on, 1 off
POSITION #1
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ 12 partials
+ 12 complete
+ rest 120 seconds
POSITION #2
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ 12 partials
+ 12 complete
+ rest 120 seconds
POSITION #3
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ 12 partials
+ 12 complete
* Week 6: 2 on, 1 off; 2 on, 1 off; 1 on
POSITION #1
+ Until failure
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #2
+ Until failure
* Week 7 & 8: 1 off, 1 on; 2 off, 1 on; 1 off, 1 on; 2 off, 2 on; 1 off, 1 on; 1 off
POSITION #1
+ 15 partials
+ 15 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
+ 40 complete
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #2
+ 15 partials
+ 15 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
+ 40 complete
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #3
+ 15 partials
+ 15 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
+ 40 complete
+ rest 240 seconds
* Week 9: 2 on, 1 off; 2 on, 1 off; 1 on
POSITION #1
+ Until failure
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #2
+ Until failure
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #3
+ Until failure
+ rest 240 seconds
* Week 10: 1 off, 1 on; 2 off, 1 on; 1 off, 1 on
POSITION #2
+ 100 complete
* Maintenance: Twice a week
POSITION #2
+ 100 complete

Written by Robert C. Shouse
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 16:07   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have just received my work-out plan from four PhD. grads from health science and sports medicine
Were they selected?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 16:59   #3
cornelyj
Guerrilla

All four work at the gym and have a piece of paper in their office that says they can put the PhD before their name.
I told them the workout that I was already doing and they molded/ fixed it, but I'll see if you guys can/can't fix it some more.
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
Old 02-25-2008, 17:06   #4
rubberneck
Area Commander

If they don't know what exactly a student at SFAS is asked to do then how can they accurately prepare you for it? Having a PhD is immaterial to the subject.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 17:07   #5
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelyj View Post
All four work at the gym and have a piece of paper in their office that says they can put the PhD before their name.
I told them the workout that I was already doing and they molded/ fixed it, but I'll see if you guys can/can't fix it some more.
Nice smart ass response.

Why would you even care what a couple of non-SF PhD's think you should do to prepare? Why can't you just follow the plan recommended over and over on this site?
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 18:44   #6
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
I have just received my work-out plan from four PhD. grads from health science and sports medicine
WOW.

Why would you be asking a bunch of guys that actually have some knowledge about Getting Selected.

Post less read more.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 19:29   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I see you missed my advice on the other thread you posted on.

You will not be asked to do a lot of exercises at SFAS, nor will you be issued a kettlebell. You will be asked to ruck long distances cross-country.

It is pretty useless to post an SFAS prep program here designed by someone with little, if any experience at SF training. Why not let us know how your program worked for you, IF you make it to SFAS and are selected?

As we advise everyone going to SFAS for the first time, I would stick with the SWCS program, especially when you have not yet done Basic, AIT, or Airborne school.

I know plenty of people with paper on their walls who could not tell you what SF stands for. Do not confuse education with wisdom.

I would not be flippant with the staff here, if you plan to stay for very long or to pursue a career in SF. You may see some of us in person, at some point.

Have a very SF day.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 20:39   #8
Remington Raidr

POSERS!!!

Quote:
REAL PhDs put it AFTER the name, like REAL (MD) doctors do.
Old 02-25-2008, 20:53   #9
Kyobanim

Boy, this thread is a real crank stomper.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 21:02   #10
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raidr View Post
REAL PhDs put it AFTER the name, like REAL (MD) doctors do.
Either way, what does it matter!!!

If they have not completed "THE Q", much less even attempted it, they are CLUELESS!!!

There is more than enough info in here, and it didn't cost'ya a dime!!

PHD=PILED HIGHER AND DEEPER!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 21:22   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I ran into this on another board with fitness experts. What they and the people that go to them don't understand is that SFAS and what not is not about physical fitness. Yes, you have to be fit. Most that go are and almost any program that involves the exercises and rucking will work.

You aren't there to pass a PT test. You are there to get selected. To answer the question.

Would I take him on my Team?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 21:32   #12
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
(I have no place to climb ropes?)
This very statement says a lot!!..................................... ..Not the mindset that makes for a desireable trait!!!!

Take care
Martin
Old 02-26-2008, 00:38   #13
cornelyj
Guerrilla

The end.

I wanted you gentlemen to give me your opinion on the work out plan. The reason I posted is because you professionals have "completed "THE Q"" and I very much value the advice on this forum.

I thought I asked a well put together question about the training and its seems a No-go so never mind that.

The plan on this site/SF site seems is a shot term preparation (5 weeks). I still have another year of school so I am looking for longer term planning and preparation.
It very much seems that all of you got the wrong "vibe", as some people call it.

Last Post.
Sorry no excuse will stop being flippant.

Thanks NousDefionsDoc you definitely gave me something to think about.
"Would I take him on my Team?"

-Jack M.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:57   #14
Scimitar
Area Commander

Yes you do

Quote:
I have no place to climb ropes
The only way I could climb ropes was by going to a climbing gym and paying some dude to 'belay' me. That was going to get expensive quick.

Instead I went and brought 20' of rope spliced it onto a steel bar I picked up from the local scrap yard and I would go down to the park and hang it in the branches of this big old tree. Obviously you try to hang it close to the trunk so it can take your weight but not so close that the trunk is in the way. Total cost about $60.

It took me about 30min of walking around the park to find a tree I could easily climb and one that had the appropriate fork. NOTE" don't leave it there, take it away with you. Liability.

NOTE: always climb with a buddy incase of injury and don't climb more then 10 feet so that a fall is no big deal. My brother in law had 'bouldering' mats we used so I would climb to the 20' mark. Think safe.

On another note, most of the upper body strength work you do (incl lats) will give you the strength you need to climb a rope ok. From the guys I talk to who have been thru selection it's not so much the strength it's the climbing technique. A lot go in having never climbed a rope and you don't get to practice it that much in the courses running up to selection. When you get to the climbing rope parts of 'Nasty Nick' you're tired, the ropes wet and on top of that you really haven’t got you're climbing technique down.

I say all this cos you can practice technique on a 12 foot rope and just do the strength thing at the gym or whatever.

We had one guy who hung it from the main beam of his two story garage and put some old high school gym mats down. Perfect.

Food for thought.

MODS please correct or edit if inappropriate. Thank you.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:38   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Joe:

IIRC, the prep course has a maintenance explanation and plan at the end.

Get yourself into shape to ruck and run and try to maintain it through Basic, AIT, and Airborne schools. If you are able to perform consistently at the level of the last week of the prep when you arrive at SFAS, you should not fail for physical reasons, unless you get injured. If you do not have the proper mental and emotional attributes as well as dedication and attitude, no amount of physical conditioning will help you get through. I have seen a lot of studs non-selected.

As far as a lack of equipment or facilities, the people we are looking for find a way and are usually very good at making do and getting the job done with few, if any resources or assistance from others.

Scimitar:

I would leave speculation about the obstacle course to people who have actually been on it. Rope climbing is a technique event and should primarily use the legs.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote