Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2007, 12:25   #1
Bigblue
Asset

information about SOCSOUTH

Good afternoon,

I am an MI reservist who will be relocating to the South Florida area soon and am interested in becoming an IMA with SOCSOUTH. I am aware that all the SOF support personnel have the same APFT requirements as the 18 series and am currently working on getting my run time down. I am in my 30's now so it is more challenging to me now then it was in 1995 when I was 21. There seems to be a lot of soldiers on this board who want to be "tabbed" but my interest is in joining the MID. I have no experience with SF units but am enrolled in the AMU program for Intelligence Studies with SOF/Low intensity conflict as a focus and would like to go that route in the reserves. I have seen a few posts from MI soldiers mention being assigned to the 3/20th SFG support company or MID but no information other than that.
My questions are what role does CI/HUMINT play in a Combatant Command as opposed to a BN or GROUP MID? Is it a lot of analytical work for the overall AOR as I suspect? Is there any strategic work involved? I have googled and learned about the SOUTHCOM FP detachments but I can't seem to find out much more about the other available duties. I would imagine there are lots of training opportunities but what would some of them be for someone who is not seeking to be an 18 series (other than BAT)? It looks as if I will have to transfer to the MIAD program (due to no MI RESERVE units in the local area) and travel to an MI TPU and then find a local unit (south FL) to drill the other half of the year with. I am hoping I could perform those drills at Homestead (and PT like crazy!) I am thinking that I would even like to request an Active duty tour with SOCSOUTH if I like it. From the general description and what I have been able to learn about the Command it seems pretty interesting. I would appreciate any advice or experiences the members of the board have to offer.

Thanks
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote