Old 09-12-2005, 08:33   #1
NeedYourHelp
Asset

Would you mind helping me?

Hello,

Thank you for your time. My name is Jessica and I am a senior in high school who is doing a research paper on SF. My father is an SF currently stationed at Fort Braag and is an E-7. Not that you really cared, but I would ask him, but I never find the time. Right now I am at school trying to find links to research this enigma called the Green Brerets. Naturally, this is the only site that I was able to stumble across that actually has the information that I am looking for.

I suppose that all I am asking of you is to give me some feedback on other sites that possibly have information; information that I could access. Once again, thank you for your time. I really appreciate anything, even if it leads to dead ends.

I will continue my research in other areas other than the computer, but my most reliable source is the INTERNET.

Oh well, life goes on, my fair gents, oh how it drags on.

Keeping you in my thoughts
Little 'ol me
NeedYourHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:05   #2
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Masters of Chaos

Jessica,
usually a members first post goes in the introductions and it would be good if you went back and did that.
Time is scarce here and out of respect to who you say your father is, I will answer your question now.

Get and read the book "Masters of Chaos" by Linda Robinson. Ms. Robinson is a senior writer for US News and World Report. She will explain things about the greater SF that you will never learn on the internet.

If any Quiet Professional members here have a different opinion on this book, they will state it.

As long as your on the internet, stay at this website and use the search function. The publicly available history of United States Army Special Forces is all referenced here somewhere.

Please make a point of reading all the stickys for this website.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 09-12-2005 at 09:07.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:39   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

School Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedYourHelp
....My father is an SF currently stationed at Fort Braag and is an E-7. Not that you really cared, but I would ask him, but I never find the time.

Little 'ol me

Ditto to what the previous post by Bill said.

Also find the time to ask your dad. Talk with him about what he does. I'll assume that you are in the Fayetteville area. If you are and writing a paper about SF you should visit the SF Museum on Ft Bragg and the Airborne & Special Ops Museum in downtown Fayetteville.

Not everything is on the internet.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:53   #4
NeedYourHelp
Asset

Yeah, I should go back to the INTRO thing, but I am not really computer inclined, lol. I am actually pretty lucky to actually stumble across this site. Just for your curiousity and humbled information, my dad is in the fayetville area, I am in the cincinnatti, considering my parents are divorced. I would ask dad, but I believe the answers I recieve may not be worth my time. Of course, I should at least give him the benefit of the doubt, so I will probably call him tonight. I really don't know what to ask or even how to address it. I love my dad, don't get me wrong, but man, he's a hardass. At no surprise, all of you who just read that line are probably laughing because you know it's true. I am proud of my dad, so proud that I brag about him more than I should.

Anyway, sorry, I like to ramble. Information is found in other places other than the internet, I know, but I feel more comfortable seeing written rather than it being told to me. You know what, perhaps I am just lazy, lol! The research paper only calls for four sources and two of them can't be from the internet.

The information on G.B./SF that I am looking for is historical stuff that have affected the GOVERNMENT (guess which class) like weren't Green Berets and CIA one when CIA was first formed? Stuff like that. We were allowed to pick the topics and perhaps I should have chose a better one, but then again, I could think of nothing better.

(What's all this about reading the handbook? Did I break a rule?)

Lil' ol' me
NeedYourHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 13:05   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

Try This

Try This

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...c-history1.htm

Pete

Last edited by Pete; 09-13-2005 at 13:06. Reason: Link?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 13:32   #6
Bill Harsey

Good link Pete, thanks. I hope Jessica uses that to help her understand the framework of the history of Army Special Forces.

Jessica,
No you didn't break a rule but following the protocols set here at Professionalsoldiers.com will get you "farther down the road faster". The point of this is to not waste your time or ours.

Use what you learn here to ask your dad questions, if he's hard to speak with, write out your questions in advance.
Old 09-13-2005, 14:33   #7
Doc
Quiet Professional

NeedYourHelp,

Post your introduction like the kind members have suggested.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 16:34   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Gawd!

"Yeah"?

"humbled information"?

"but I believe the answers I recieve may not be worth my time."?

"perhaps I am just lazy, lol!"

First of all, it is, "Yes sir"

You haven't asked yet and you've already decided your primary source won't be worth your time? Do research papers no longer require an open mind?

As for the last one, I think there is little doubt. I understand "cut and paste" is difficult from a book and you might have to actually read the book to get anything out of it, but are we doing the paper or are you?

Most of the information you are looking for is here or in the other sources you were given above. You have been shown an enormous amount of restraint so far by the members of this board. Get your act together and get on with it and quit trying to take the easy way out.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 16:20   #9
Bill Harsey

Jessica,
I had a thought about how to ask your Dad questions that he might be able to answer and you have a way of understanding.

For starters, find the place at this website that describes each Special Forces "Military Occupation Specialty" (MOS). Read what they all are, then ask your Dad what his "MOS's" are.

I'm sure you know that your dad may be bound as a matter of his job to not talk about details like missions, dates, places and some if not a lot of his training and schools.
This is simply the nature of the job.

If you read here long enough you will note that many things are not discussed for operational and personal security concerns.

Keep any answers to yourself, whatever he chooses to tell you is between you guys.

There are some amazing people here on this board. Be smart enough to take advantage of their knowledge and experience long after your paper is written. Again, I say this is out of respect for your father and yourself.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 09-14-2005 at 16:25.
Old 09-13-2005, 13:18   #10
Sigi
BANNED USER

THIS would be a great place for you to begin.

I read Tom Clancy's Special Forces and it gives a good overall history of US Army Special Forces. At least it did for me.

Mr. Harsey is right, Masters of Chaos was a great book, IMHO.

But you know what, if you go to the very beginning of this site, before you got to the forums, there are links on the left that are full of information, including history.

Also, do a search of the Book Reviews and Recommendations forum here on professionalsoldiers.com. You will have so much reading and researching to do you will not find time to post.

Good luck, and tell your father Thank You for me.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote