Old 12-18-2006, 14:26   #1
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

No man left behind?

I recently read the article on page 16 of this issue (Two SEALS win Navy Cross) and was left with a question that I would like to put before you all. I did some searching first but can’t find where or if the topic has been covered before. The question is this: When is it okay to leave a wounded teammate behind?
I firmly believe that all of the men on this team are heroes. The man that E and E’d has accomplished far more than I will ever come close to and I would never denigrate his service. That being said, as a former 11B the thought of leaving a wounded teammate behind is not an option. Having never been SF or even SOF, Is there is doctrine that I’m ignorant of that would require such a difficult decision? Any thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TOTS_web-200611 16.pdf (181.3 KB, 285 views)
Old 12-18-2006, 14:35   #2
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1987
Is there is doctrine that I’m ignorant of that would require such a difficult decision? Any thoughts?
While I am sure that many can come up with all kinds of scenarios I can only answer that in no case would I, nor would any of those for whom I ever was responsible ever think that I would, leave anyone behind. If it is nothing else, it is a matter of honor, trust, and sacred responsibility to those you are charged to lead.
Old 12-18-2006, 16:37   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1987
That being said, as a former 11B the thought of leaving a wounded teammate behind is not an option.
You think it any different with us? Leaving a wounded soldier behind is not an option with us either.

TS
Old 12-18-2006, 18:42   #4
incommin
Quiet Professional

Leave a wounded team mate behind? Never. It has been my experience that other soldiers and airmen have died trying to get wounded soldiers out! Friends and strangers volunteer to make the effort.

And by the same token, I would never think of leaving a wounded cop in harms way!

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 17:28   #5
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

I am nearly convinced that there is a lot of information not being included about the action of these men. At least, I'd like to think so. On the face of what I have seen - limited to what PAO has cleared regarding the awards to these sailors - it left me scratching my head. I viewed the film of these men being discovered by their foes and their equipment being exploited. At the time, I did not think much of the "why" of the situation. But, with further thought into it, it does not add up: One team mate seems to have been killed either upon the first portion of the engagement, or certainly before the others. That leaves three very lonely warriors trying to push back the proverbial "Mongolian Horde" until the QRF arrives. Originally, I believed that the reason one SEAL lived was that while the last three were fighting for their lives, the other two were killed by enemy fire. This left one man who, I believed, subsequently evaded out of the area successfully. But, reading the PAO release regarding these awards, the survivor left as the other two continued fighting. This does not make sense to me. There is definitely information missing here - or, something went seriously wrong. I can't see myself, or any of my own, leaving the others to fight to the death like that.

Again, I have to default to the faith I have in our fellow SOF warriors and I am compelled to believe that there is information missing here. At least, I sincerely hope so.

Another lesson for that particular event is never, ever, take a hard drive loaded with "classified" information with you unless you definately can't memorize what's on it and what's on it is mission essential. Heck, the school house teaches to memorize everything and burn all the planning "scrap", save for the mission folder which is left back with the AST, or a team mate. But, that's another discussion for those that have seen the footage I'm referring to.
Old 12-20-2006, 15:06   #6
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai
But, reading the PAO release regarding these awards, the survivor left as the other two continued fighting.
I was wondering about all that, too. The only thing I could think of is that they realized they were going to get overrun and they decided, "Hey, not all of us need to die. You lost the toss, buddy. Haul ass and E&E out of here. We'll hold them off for you."
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 17:43   #7
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65
I was wondering about all that, too. The only thing I could think of is that they realized they were going to get overrun and they decided, "Hey, not all of us need to die. You lost the toss, buddy. Haul ass and E&E out of here. We'll hold them off for you."
Certainly a plausible scenario.
Old 04-17-2007, 21:58   #8
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

To answer the original question, "When is it ok to leave a wounded man behind?" I would have to say Never. I simply can't imagine turning my back to any of the teammates I have spent time TDY with. If I ever get in that situation, I'll be sure to post and let you know what happens. But I can give you a great example from yesterday:

There were kids in VT that had the chance to jump from a window to save their own asses after the killer left their classmates bleeding and in mortal danger. The killer moved onto another classroom. While many students ran, some did not. They stayed in the kill zone. They blocked doors, slapped bandages, and comforted their friends. They didn't run though. As a direct result they saved the lives of their wounded classmates by denying the shooter a second chance at the wounded. All this without the benefit of basic training too.

I for one have been inspired by some of the stories coming from VT.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:16   #9
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Post In the know...

Two weeks ago I was involved in joint services training with other members of SOF to include MARSOC and NSW. I met two SEALs that personally know the surviving operator in the incident that sparked this thread. One of the men I spoke to was in the very same platoon with that man. The explanation I received was that the surviving SEAL was blown off and away down a hill by an RPG during the ambush. The fact that he survived that is a miracle. He did not leave his comrades behind; after all, he's a US SOF member and we don't do that.

EOM
BAS SENDS
Old 04-18-2007, 07:50   #10
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks BAS. As Paul Harvey would say, now we know the rest of the story. Good day.
Old 04-18-2007, 17:40   #11
Mace
Asset

Thank you for your patience!!

Thanks for second chance, I'm glad to be here!

Thank you, sincerelly!!!
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote