Old 08-25-2006, 23:28   #1
jamel
Asset

which route to take

I plan to join Special Forces in the future and I figure going the Ranger route would help me prepare for the demanding training. but after doing more research on this board, I found out that its hard for someone serving in the regiment to attend SFAS. So would this be possibly be a bad route to go?
jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:29   #2
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamel
Hi, my real name is james and i'm 16 years old, i will be turning 17 this month. I will be a junior in highschool next year. i know a lot about special forces already and i've been interested in them for a while now.
Fill out your Profile.

Finish High school first.

Wave my hand, you dont know what you want,
Move along Move along.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:02   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

jamel:

You can go either route. SF isn't about badge collecting, BTW.

Odds are extremely high that you will not make it into either organization. Get back to us after you make it into the Ranger Batt.

You think "you know a lot about SF"? I really doubt it. This isn't a video game. It is for real, and this is a wake up call.

Good luck, have a very SF day.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:20   #4
jamel
Asset

yes sirs.
jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 13:55   #5
Matta mile
Quiet Professional

Jamel,
...its "yes gentlemen" not "Sirs".
Best wishes to you!

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other" President A. Lincoln
Matta mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 14:59   #6
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

With all due respect

I can only approach this question carefully, as I'm not a "QP" or never was SF, but I can tell you that my lowly 6 years with the 82nd Airborne were not enough for me, at the time, to have prepared myself for the rigors of SFAS or the SFQC.

IIRC, at the time you had to have at a minimum 5 years of operational experience in an Airborne unit, in a combat arms MOS. This would have limited the supply of candidates to only the 82nd Airborne, the Ranger Reg, or 173rd Airborne. Perhaps someone that was Airborne qualified and with 101st would have been able to apply, but I'm out of my depth, therfore one of the "QP's" can answer and make corrections to my statement. I'm only speaking of the early 80's when I was on active duty with the 82nd Airborne.

Several of the men that served with me, E-6's applied, some finished SFAS, some did not, and came back to the 82nd Airborne with thier tails between their legs. These same men were the top of the crop of our Battery with many years of Airborne and combat arms experience. Just goes to show that even an experienced Airborne soldier is not an automatic approval for selection to the SFQC. Point being, that there is no easy way to get there, and I highly doubt that I had what it would have taken to meet the grade, even with 6 years of combat arms experience entirely with an Airborne unit.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote