Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 02-15-2004, 19:03   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

The Saudi Shi'a Problem: An AL Spin-off Thread

Quote:
Posted by AirborneLawyer in another thread:

Although I don't agree with all Baer's conclusions, he does hit on most of the major issues and especially whether this forty-plus year system of checks and balances is on the edge of collapse. He doesn't address the Shi'a problem, though, which has many Saudis deathly concerned about developments to their north in southern Iraq. Perhaps that should be the next topic?
Presto! A new topic . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 21:33   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Hint to Airborne Lawyer

(whispering)

You're supposed to post in this thread. LOL
Old 02-23-2004, 16:36   #3
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Wait a minute, ared you telling me that NO ONE on this ENTIRE BOARD knows anything about the "Saudi Shi'a problem"? Inquiring minds want to know. C'mon, someone. Jimbo maybe?
Old 02-23-2004, 16:42   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

There's a real good article in Foreign Affairs last issue about SA and the crown princes, the Shi'as, etc. I'm educating myself.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 16:48   #5
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
There's a real good article in Foreign Affairs last issue about SA and the crown princes, the Shi'as, etc. I'm educating myself.
Too bad I'm not in NY. They sell Foreign Affairs at JFK. Here in San Francisco, they only sell Fabulous Affairs.
Old 02-23-2004, 17:22   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Wait a minute, ared you telling me that NO ONE on this ENTIRE BOARD knows anything about the "Saudi Shi'a problem"?
It might be harder finding someone who gives a shit.

Saudi ranks right up there with France as far as nations go.

TS
Old 03-10-2004, 12:20   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...hts/index.html

Saudi's king approves rights panel
Wednesday, March 10, 2004 Posted: 10:47 AM EST (1547 GMT)

(CNN) -- Saudi's King Fahd Ben Abdel Aziz has approved the establishment of a non-governmental national human rights advisory panel, the official Saudi Press Agency reports.

In a related development, the Saudis also are working on removing all anti-Christian and anti-Jewish materials from their schoolbooks, a source told CNN Wednesday.

The apparent thaw comes after the kingdom's human rights record has been widely criticized and as the Iraqi Governing Council approved an interim constitution with Western democratic ideals as its cornerstone.

Analysts in the Arab world say the creation of the official non-governmental organization is to show the kingdom cares about human rights and is meant to impress decision-makers in the West and elsewhere.

"Because Islamic law is based on the protection of human rights, the formation of a national committee is appropriate," the press agency quoted Fahd as saying.

The 41-person government-appointed group -- called the National Human Rights Association -- will hear complaints on human rights matters and pass along recommendations to the government.

The press agency reported the panel, based in Riyadh, will work to prevent "torture, violence and intolerance."

Analysts also say that it will take time for the panel to develop trust among the populace because the body is government appointed.

Crown Prince Abdullah Tuesday met with some of the group's members, which includes a number of women.

CNN's Caroline Faraj in Dubai contributed to this report.