Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 02-18-2005, 21:55   #1
Airbornelawyer

Special Operations, Insurgency & UW Reading List

I'm trying to put various links I've pulled together in one place. This is not too well-organized at this point, but getting them in one place is a start. As a start, all of the links below are from official sources (CGSC's Combined Arms Research Library, the Army War College's Strategic Studies Institute, National Defense University, U.S. Army Center of Military History, etc.). I will add more as I have time, and feel free to add your own.

General:World War Two:Other conflicts/contingencies:

Last edited by Airbornelawyer; 02-18-2005 at 21:58.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 22:07   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Good gouge AL. Thanks
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 22:12   #3
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Thank you for starting this. Have you read any of this stuff? If so, what do you recommend? Also interested in the thoughts of others.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 22:48   #4
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Thank you for starting this. Have you read any of this stuff? If so, what do you recommend? Also interested in the thoughts of others.
Most of these are straightforward general histories or case studies.

Col. Trinquier's book (Modern Warfare: A French View of Counterinsurgency) has been discussed in another thread. He purported to write a general study, but while not a prisoner of his particular experiences (the FFI, Indochina and Algeria), he was definitely influenced by them.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 23:42   #5
lksteve
Quiet Professional

looks promising...

i was going to read the article on Somalia, figured i might be able to provide a bit of perspective as i was the PSYOP detachment commander there from December 1992 into March 1993 (when i got pulled to go back to Saudi)...but alas and alack, i cannot get the PDF file to download...

i was able to access the article on the Ute campaign...that could be very interesting...i believe the Utes were the last major tribe to accept life on the reservation...they resisted until after WW1...'Posey's War' is recognized by many to be the last skirmish of the Indian wars, althought it was basically a bit of rustling gone awry...

i plan on reading as many of these as my LYB will allow...this weekend, i'll be dragged off to Big Pine, California so she can weave baskets with Indians...

i plan on hiking in Death Valley or something...maybe i can print one of these out and take it with me...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 23:50   #6
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

What the hell is going on here? Is Guy like an SF light bulb? Or maybe I am? LMAO

LKsteve:

There is free alcohol in LA if you can get here. And next week is a particularly good week, I think.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:36   #7
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Trends in Outside Support ofr Insurgent Movements
Internal Wars: Rethinking Problem and Response
Relearning Counterinsurgency Warfare
Back to the Street Without Joy:Counterinsurgency Lessons From Vietnam and Other Small Wars
Stretching the Network: Using Transformed Forces in Demanding Contingencies Other Than War
Who have dared for a high cause to suffer, resist, fight—if need be, to die.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:59   #8
DDilegge
Asset

I maintain a directory that might be of use here at the Small Wars Journal - go to the Reference Library.

Every Sunday I post (on the blog) an updated word document suitable for downloading as a desktop reference or e-mailing other researchers / operators. This document contains links to all the material on research and reference pages.

Hope this is of use here.

As an introduction, I am a retired Marine who now works urban ops and Small Wars issues for the Corps at Quantico. I found this site by back tracing a link - have placed Professional Soldiers as a Military Community of Interest link on my site.
DDilegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:21   #9
lksteve
Quiet Professional

La????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
LKsteve:

There is free alcohol in LA if you can get here. And next week is a particularly good week, I think.
mother in law lives in Orange County...toooooo close...i'll be in Big Pine tommorrow...that's more or less in the middle...and i'll be in Vegas the middle of next month for a conference...

next time my wife threatens to go to LA, i might tag along, though...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 02-19-2005, 15:34   #10
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDilegge
Absolutely. Thank you and welcome to the Board.
Old 02-20-2005, 18:16   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I maintain a directory that might be of use here at the Small Wars Journal - go to the Reference Library.

Every Sunday I post (on the blog) an updated word document suitable for downloading as a desktop reference or e-mailing other researchers / operators. This document contains links to all the material on research and reference pages.

As an introduction, I am a retired Marine who now works urban ops and Small Wars issues for the Corps at Quantico. I found this site by back tracing a link - have placed Professional Soldiers as a Military Community of Interest link on my site.
Welcome aboard. Good job.

Thanks for putting our link up as well.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:28   #12
DDilegge
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Welcome aboard. Good job.

Thanks for putting our link up as well.
Thanks much and my pleasure linking to this site. From what I have seen so far it is indeed a "professional soldier" community... Of course I say oorah while many here probably say hooah;-)
Old 02-21-2005, 10:46   #13
lksteve
Quiet Professional

oorah?

Quote:
... Of course I say oorah while many here probably say hooah
speech impediment, huh?
Old 02-21-2005, 16:22   #14
DDilegge
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
speech impediment, huh?
Touche, good one...
Old 02-21-2005, 17:33   #15
lksteve
Quiet Professional

the problem with C&GSC articles...

is that they read like something written by a major bored out of his gourd...but never the less, i have read and reread the article about the Ute uprising of 1879...my sysnopsis? the more things change, the more things don't...

the never-ending predicament of the US Army seems summed up in the prologue...
"The study chronicles the Army's role in the struggle between two cultures...it serves to illuminate the problems of utilizing the military instrument in an environment of transitory national policies and competing national and local interests..." when the politicians can't get it right, the Army does make a convenient scapegoat...and if military force isn't the right approach...well, there you go...

not a bad read, but it seemed like Deja Vu all over again...constraining the Army to forts (or was that strategic hamlets), appointing indian agents who knew nothing of the culture (or was that Bob Gosende?) and commentary that post Civil War (or was that Cold War) politics played a clear role in defining the military strategy followed (did i hear someone say 'our enemy is instability' or am i just having bad memories)...

what the article told me is that before the post Vietnam draw down, before the post Cold War draw down, before there were sky marshals and border observation posts in Texas, the Army has had to adapt to missions other than war for political expediency and self-preservation...